Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lcyguy
Gate upgrade to 1A on the BA8723 GLA-LCY this morning. Was in 5C with a blocked seat next to me. Flight looks pretty rammed.
No club catering loaded due to defective ovens ( cc said fault was reported 10 days ago by him) , so economy bacon rolls all round . Limited tea and coffee due to problem with that too. At least I got to sit 4 rows forward from my initially allocated seat :-)
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Flying BCN-LHR-BOS today, I and companion were upgraded from WT+ to CW on the second leg. The upgrade was noted with a nice message on the website.

Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:31 am

Me and the Mrs both upgraded on BA31 to HKG two nights ago from CW to F, seats 1K and 4K so we did very well! A very welcome and unexpected surprise and topped off a great year of upgrades. However once on board the service felt like we had remained in club, a good and quick meal was served. Pressed the call button for a pot of tea and then left alone for the whole flight despite only sleeping for the last 3 hours or so. Saw plenty of the crew using the storage area next to 1K but was not once offered a drink, chocolates etc, despite working with the seat in the upright position. However still a great start to our NY vacation as at 6’3 I do find the club seats a bit of a squeeze.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Myself and Mr Chandler Bing were upgraded JFK-LHR on Boxing Day WT to WT+. WT was packed full, we're both Silver but were traveling on a 241 redemption. (yes value of a WT redemption is questionable, but with limited time off work and with a cruise to catch from NYC we had specific flights we had to book, so a 241 and ~Ł600 vs >Ł1500 for WT was value I was happy with)
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
We had a kind of upgrade a couple of weeks back on an AMS-LCY, the second half of a back-to-back. The rotation got delayed because of weather at AMS, and so we'd been chatting a bit to the CSM on the way out (when we were in CE). On the second flight, CE had only 1 pax, and the cabin had been reset to two rows. The CSM kindly suggested that we take row 2 because the ET cabin was pretty full and it would be quieter. It was, and so it was a bit more relaxing for us while we munched our ET snack and sipped our ET-sized drink.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
BAH-LHR, CW to F, already showing in the app en route to the airport. Flight completely full, as were both GF flights - perhaps partly due to the fact that the airport was closed earlier this week (dense fog in Manama) in what is already a busy travel period.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Upgraded WTP to CW from YYZ to LHR on Dec 14th and then from WT to WTP LHR-YYZ yesterday, Jan 2nd - not bad! Weird how during my year as gold I didn't get any upgrades at all, but before as silver and now after, back as silver, I get them fairly frequently on this route.

Also odd how there is no communication about the upgrade, the seat just changes on the app.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by williamn78
Upgraded WTP to CW from YYZ to LHR on Dec 14th and then from WT to WTP LHR-YYZ yesterday, Jan 2nd - not bad! Weird how during my year as gold I didn't get any upgrades at all, but before as silver and now after, back as silver, I get them fairly frequently on this route.

Also odd how there is no communication about the upgrade, the seat just changes on the app.
Good to get upgraded both ways! ^

From what's posted on FT there there seems to be a higher than average op up rate on the YYZ route for status holders, well that's the impression I get so regularly oversold down the back I guess.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Good to get upgraded both ways! ^

From what's posted on FT there there seems to be a higher than average op up rate on the YYZ route for status holders, well that's the impression I get so regularly oversold down the back I guess.
Yes my upgrade hit rate was somewhere near 50% before I became gold! Very often from WTP as its such a small cabin.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:05 am

Yes my upgrade hit rate was somewhere near 50% before I became gold! Very often from WTP as its such a small cabin.
That's an excellent op up rate. ^

Many times the App shows it with no notification reading on here but never had it myself. Bar a service recovery I've only ever had one op up which was very recent, at the gate in well over a decade having moved from Silver to Gold.

Your Silver now or back to Gold? (your profile says Gold)
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
That's an excellent op up rate. ^

Many times the App shows it with no notification reading on here but never had it myself. Bar a service recovery I've only ever had one op up which was very recent, at the gate in well over a decade having moved from Silver to Gold.

Your Silver now or back to Gold? (your profile says Gold)
Oh need to update that - back to Silver. To be honest the only thing I miss is the First wing!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:30 am

Got the magic beep at the boarding gate last night on the BA463 MAD-LHR. My first ever op-up as a gold on what was a completely full flight. Swapped from 12A/B to 1D/2F.

Had checked selling availability earlier in the day and the ba website was showing full in Y and 1 seat available for sale in C. I guess someone changed plans during the day. Great service all the way home where drinks were flowing followed by an extremely firm landing at Heathrow - what with storm Eleanor thrashing down, I was half expecting a divert. Glad we made it in.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:33 am

Oh need to update that - back to Silver. To be honest the only thing I miss is the First wing!
I certainly agree there re TFW. It really is fab. As Gold The free exit seats in Y on long haul is handy for me as I plan to do a reasonable amount of flying in that cabin over the next 12 months with a few WT+ splatterings too. As for upgrades I'll see what the year brings but I don't expect anything to be honest but it is a nice surprise and it's nice to hear of people on here being upgraded.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
My party of three was op-upped from CW to F today on the transatlantic leg of returning from HNL to DUB. So we're currently finishing off dinner in the JFK CCR
A threesome op-up is not something I hear of too often.
I'm quite glad not to be in the crowded, confusing scrum downstairs in the general gate areas.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
Today, LHR to ATL, double upgrade WTP to F, though I should be clear only one of those was due to BA.

Checked in at EDI, upgraded to CW on the TATL at that point possibly as a service recovery as my last flight with BA was cancelled due to the storm on the 3rd, and I ended up with a rather long layover at LHR as a result.

Safely ensconced in 13J, I see a young lady and older gentleman board. She's in 13K, and even with the divider, I'm not being falsely modest when I claim a visage that only Mrs BertieB would think pleasing. And I think she was dropped on her head as a baby I surmise they are family and would prefer to sit together rather than have the poor girl look at my mug, so am happy to swap. I'm an op-up solo traveller, any seat will do me....

At which point this gentleman confirms he would indeed like to swap to sit with his daughter, he's checked with the CSM to OK it, and would I like 3K?

I don't know if he is a flyertalker, but if he is and he reads this, please accept my most grateful thanks for the opportunity to try F, and also returning my tablet, which in a somewhat flustered state, I left in the CW seat drawer!

​​​​​​Have to say, crew were excellent too. They knew I was a double upgrade, but beyond being at the bottom of the list for food choice, which I expected, I could detect no discernable difference in my treatment.

The only downside - I suspect my Avios balance will soon take a hit as I search out upgrades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.