Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2017, 11:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by nk15
Has anyone ever being upgraded as OW Emerald (non-BA), what are the chances of this happening?
Happened to me two weeks ago LHR-LAX from W to J. Was Upgraded about 3 hours before departure.

I fly a lot of BA but always credit to AA, where I am EXP (OW Emerald).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I do purchase revenue 125 tickets, usually in I, for about one third of my OW flying, and this is a 4-segment revenue 125 ticket, so fingers crossed...I am in WT though, so that would be at best one level up to WT+, right?

Are these OP-UPs only, or not?
WTP would be your best hope here, yes, but BA isn't doing this to be nice, it's just sold too many seats, so your better bet would be to select well filled aircraft. You do have the option of buying an AUP instead, and if on a BA.com booking you may get a POUG offering at OLCI stage given it is 4 segments.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
3 op-ups in one long weekend trip

I was lucky enough to get op-ups from W to J on both TATL legs of my recent trip, out to SEA and back from PHL. Forward facing seats too, a bonus for me.

I had read somewhere that Golds in W can be a bit of a sweet spot, but this was 2 very pleasant surprises.

Also got moved to row 1 on my ex EU positioning flight out to GOT.

Shame Seahawks lost the game!
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by LSunbury
I was lucky enough to get op-ups from W to J on both TATL legs of my recent trip, out to SEA and back from PHL. Forward facing seats too, a bonus for me.

I had read somewhere that Golds in W can be a bit of a sweet spot, but this was 2 very pleasant surprises.

Also got moved to row 1 on my ex EU positioning flight out to GOT.

Shame Seahawks lost the game!
It sounds as if we did exactly the same trip! I did a GOT-SEA return in W for the Hawks game against the Redskins last week and got upgraded on the flight (BA52) from W to J.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
WTP would be your best hope here, yes, but BA isn't doing this to be nice, it's just sold too many seats, so your better bet would be to select well filled aircraft. You do have the option of buying an AUP instead, and if on a BA.com booking you may get a POUG offering at OLCI stage given it is 4 segments.
Thanks, my times were very specific and booked early so I couldn't check aircraft capacity, however, one of the outbound/inbound is on a very busy travel day, which screams overbooking and op-up, so fingers crossed. Unfortunately I booked too low class and can't use miles.

I assume it is better to OLCI at T-24, to increase the chances of op-ups or POUGs, right? The early birds will be more likely to get the offers, I think.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:45 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I assume it is better to OLCI at T-24, to increase the chances of op-ups or POUGs, right? The early birds will be more likely to get the offers, I think.
Correct.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:16 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Op-up w to j at olci - do I get lounge access? Been 15+ years since this last happened to me without lounge access status... would try to get into the cx lounge at t3 if that makes a difference.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:15 am

Yes you do
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Correct.
A bit OT, but I checked EF on one of my flights, it is F3, J6, W2, Y2 more than 2 weeks out, someone is getting OP-UPs on that flight, I hope it is me...
Old Nov 12, 2017, 11:23 am

A bit OT, but I checked EF on one of my flights, it is F3, J6, W2, Y2 more than 2 weeks out, someone is getting OP-UPs on that flight, I hope it is me...
Those numbers certainly look promising at 2 weeks. I presume it's G0 and T0? If so then yes, someone will have to go forward, depending on the aircraft type.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those numbers certainly look promising at 2 weeks. I presume it's G0 and T0? If so then yes, someone will have to go forward, depending on the aircraft type.
Yes, it seems very likely that they will oversell Y and roll it forward.

F3 A0 J6 C1 D1 R0 I0 W2 E0 T0 Y2 B2 H1 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Has anyone paid to upgrade from WT to WTP before or at online check in, then got an opup to CW?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mict
Has anyone paid to upgrade from WT to WTP before or at online check in, then got an opup to CW?
"Happens all the time" would be an exaggeration, but not a massive one. It's proibably more likely on a 787-8 or SuperJ 747, less likely on an A380. Depends on the route to some degree, and even the day of the week (e.g. YYC or IAH midweek).
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
"Happens all the time" would be an exaggeration, but not a massive one. It's proibably more likely on a 787-8 or SuperJ 747, less likely on an A380. Depends on the route to some degree, and even the day of the week (e.g. YYC or IAH midweek).
Ok Thanks, I am new to BA but will start doing to the SEA-LHR-SEA route about once a month starting in January so I was just wondering.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mict
Ok Thanks, I am new to BA but will start doing to the SEA-LHR-SEA route about once a month starting in January so I was just wondering.
Nothing in this world is guaranteed except death and taxes, usually not in that order, but perhaps you need to think about booking in WTP at the best price you can, in the first instance. As a BA Silver in WTP you could get a few CW upgrades if the aircraft fills up. And SEA is a good one for hefty last minute demand, thanks to the tech industries there. Mostly they have an Economy (WT) travel policy, so being in WTP will be a good place to start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.