So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Old Sep 23, 17, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Silver
Today's flight LHR to BKK. WTP to CW at the gate BA are showing me alot of love atm with the 2nd upgrade in a month and some very nice POUGs in July.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 23, 17, 8:49 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
A bit off topic: I am travelling KUL -> LHR in November in CW. As this is just one leg in a multi-city booking there are no online upgrades available. This particular flight is nearly 14 hours so I am now considering to upgrade from Club to First:
- I could call BA and pay for the upgrade, if available,
- I could wait until at the gate (transfering in KUL) and buy an upgrade, if available,
- Or, as I have a decent Club seat already (window seat in last row on the 787-900) I could just wait for the very small chance of a free upgrade at the gate..

Just wondering what other FT members would do. Is buying an upgrade from Club to First worth it, given the distance?
Old Sep 23, 17, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hmmm I'd find out the cash cost - but as maybe 10 hours of the flight are in darkness and you board so late I wouldn't be prepared to pay much, Avios upgrade I would for the fantastic F seat and bed however Club is fine for this flight. OpUp will only happen if needed and then your chances are slim of being picked as the F cabin has only 8 seats.
Great_circle likes this.
Old Sep 24, 17, 12:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Was taking my GF on our first holiday on Friday to Dubai. Both got upgraded from WTP to CW while in the lounge. Was perfect she was Blue as I had only just created her account.
Old Sep 24, 17, 2:32 am

And not strictly BA but also got gate upgraded on the bkk-sin leg with cx of the same trip. My bag also acquired a business priority label at some point and beat me through immigration. I had been worried as the incoming flight was delayed shortening the connection time.
Old Sep 24, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Got upgraded on today's BA232 DME-LHR Y-W. Upgraded before check-in. Y looks busy so as W though W is still 9 and they still sell tickets for Y.
Old Sep 24, 17, 8:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VA Platinum
Very pleased with last nights double bounce from WT (Exit row mind) to CW at the gate.

Reassured me that I hadn't upset the gods as I had previously thought possible and was then topped off by being one of the best flights in a while.
Old Sep 25, 17, 5:06 am

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Me and MrsPumplekin were upgraded on the late LUX -> LHR flight last night (22/Sep/2017). The flight was almost 100% full, although we did have a couple of other spare seats in CE.

Was quite happy as we hadn't managed to get anything to eat that day and the Potato/Duck salads were both quite nice. Also managed to get a couple of cheeky G&T's !
Old Sep 25, 17, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by criso View Post
And not strictly BA but also got gate upgraded on the bkk-sin leg with cx of the same trip. My bag also acquired a business priority label at some point and beat me through immigration. I had been worried as the incoming flight was delayed shortening the connection time.
i got one too today HKG-BKK at the gate from Y to J. The machine to verify the boarding pass beeped, then I was given a new J class boarding pass, I enjoyed CX's A350 service and its seat.
Old Sep 25, 17, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by roy2016 View Post
i got one too today HKG-BKK at the gate from Y to J. The machine to verify the boarding pass beeped, then I was given a new J class boarding pass, I enjoyed CX's A350 service and its seat.
Great service and excellent screen size and quality fro the ife but couldn't rest my feet anywhere with the seat upright as I could reach the foot rest. And a little over 5 7 isn't particularly short for a woman.
Old Sep 25, 17, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
I haven't bump in at least 4 years except once on KUL-LHR when the connection was late so I was moved from BA F to MAS F which was a real treat & felt like I was sleeping in my own bed
Old Sep 26, 17, 12:58 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by criso View Post
Great service and excellent screen size and quality fro the ife but couldn't rest my feet anywhere with the seat upright as I could reach the foot rest. And a little over 5 7 isn't particularly short for a woman.
I did find it the same as you mentioned. But I am grateful to CX & QR, their recognition of OWE status, always greeting me even I was in Y seat with a bottle of water. It did make me feel special for being a BA Gold. In the other hand, BA has not done much to me for being a gold as such.

Last edited by roy2016; Sep 26, 17 at 12:59 am Reason: Wrong spelling of bottle
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:43 am

CX greeted me as a lowly bronze and having just done 11 hours on an older 777 from LHR, you can imagine how happy I was with the IFE on CX and was pathetically grateful for the upgrade on both legs but so overall happiness factor was high but as a small thing not blown away by the seat design esp given how good everything else is.
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:48 am
Formerly known as joannerose66

Programs: Gold BA Exec, Hyatt Globalist
Received an Upgrade from WTP to CW on LAX to LHR yesterday. Very much appreciated
Old Sep 26, 17, 5:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Is it just me, or has the number of gate u/g's plummeted since BA started selling them proactively through the app? 3 or 4 years ago I went through a purple patch where I got upgraded at the airport on around 10 out of 15 long haul legs. Some J-F and some W-J. Since then, nada. I get the odd Club Europe one where they have a full flight and clearly need to fill the back row in club. No complaints about BA's policy. Heck they're a business and need to sell these u/g's if possible. However, in the last two years my long haul travel with BA has increasingly shifted elsewhere on one world as with much less chance of an u/g, I prefer to take a one stop itinerary in J vs. paying BA's prices where normally the same level of spend will get me W. Flying BA this afternoon as it happens from IAH-LHR in W but with expert flyer showing J9 W9 Y9 there will be zero chance tonight for sure

Search this Thread