Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Spire, CC Gold
Upgraded last month from lhr-bos. CW into 1a and hubby into 2a.
Spoilt (for me) by food poisoning from either the scallops or stone bass. Throwing up in the toilets, oxygen and that announcement upon landing that there had been a medical emergency on board and no one was to get out of their seats until the paramedics had taken me off..!
Mortifying and embarrassing to say the least - apologies to anyone on board that flight last month
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Flew to DUB today on GMEDG an old BMI aircraft with flat bed. Helped with the delay having a throne to myself. Sadly food was bloody awful and crew far too slow.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Me and Mrs T just arrived in Frankfurt on ba916 which was delayed with the weather, both upgraded from ET to CE on an avios redemption, although the new BP still said ET.

Upgraded at the holiday Inn as well, executive room, welcome drink, bonus points and a free minibar.

Mrs T is getting too used to this, back on the benches tomorrow with a cheap LH flight to Poland.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by NikaK
Spoilt (for me) by food poisoning from either the scallops or stone bass. Throwing up in the toilets, oxygen and that announcement upon landing that there had been a medical emergency on board and no one was to get out of their seats until the paramedics had taken me off..!
Mortifying and embarrassing to say the least - apologies to anyone on board that flight last month
Food poisoning doesn't manifest itself that quickly so it's not likely to be anything you ate on board.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by m3red
Food poisoning doesn't manifest itself that quickly so it's not likely to be anything you ate on board.
I would tend to disagree as I have had such problems within 20-30 minutes of eating things that were "off", such as mayonaise, etc.

Are you by chance a physician?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
I would tend to disagree as I have had such problems within 20-30 minutes of eating things that were "off", such as mayonaise, etc.

I'm not a physician but do have about 30% of a medical degree

Food poisoning incubation times are rarely as short as 20-30 mins. If it was *that* 'off', you'd hopefully have noticed it when it was in your mouth.

If you look at the 'types of food poisoning' tab here...
http://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Food-poisoning
... you can mix and match your symptoms to work out what made you sick.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
I'm not a physician but do have about 30% of a medical degree

Food poisoning incubation times are rarely as short as 20-30 mins. If it was *that* 'off', you'd hopefully have noticed it when it was in your mouth.

If you look at the 'types of food poisoning' tab here...
http://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/F_I/Food-poisoning
... you can mix and match your symptoms to work out what made you sick.
I just happen to be very sensitive to such things, to the point that others are not (yet) affected. But normally they are the next day...

We humans are all unique creatures, as I am sure you have come to realize in you studies. Some of us are just more sensitive.

Anyway, back on topic...
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hope you are feeling better!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat

Agree, my system responds within a half hour or less when something "bad" is consumed...fortunately not that often, which is why I stay clear of scallops (hint to our unfortunate friend).
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Spire, CC Gold
It was actually about 2 hours after I ate and I am pretty sure it was the fish as it tasted far too 'fishy' for my liking and I ended up leaving most of it.
Didn't end up chasing BA on it as food poisoning is hard to prove at the best of times and yes to who asked I am feeling much better!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew LHR-YYZ on 27 July (BA99). My wife and I were upgraded from CW to F at the gate. The flight was quite full as far as I could tell.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond

About 6 years ago I flew back from Abuja on KLM business class. Towards the end of the flight into AMS I developed a really bad stomach. I suspected it was due to a poorly chilled tuna sandwich in the rubbish business lounge at Abuja airport. I wrote to KLM - not too get any compensation but more to point out the poor food storage conditions - but I was fobbed off stating food poisoning would have needed much longer to develop.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
LHR-BOS is a relatively short flight. Very rare for food poisoning to manifest that fast. Rare to have incubation period of less than 4hours. If food poisoning, were other passengers affected? Sea food a good source of poisoning and could be blamed even if not the culprit.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:29 pm

Well NHS website tends towards this being unlikely to be food consumed onboard:

"Signs and symptoms
The symptoms of food poisoning usually begin within one to two days after eating contaminated food, although they may start at any point between a few hours and several weeks later."
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hyatt Gold
I hope that NikaK feels better now. The illness arrived a little early to blame the bass or scallops. My golden rule is to eat bland food before flying LH.
Back on topic, LHR-PRG ET to CE last week with a very welcome ping at the gate. I would have happily ponied up for a POUG on the return leg, but it wasn't offered. So I had to listen to Peppa the Pig on a child's iPad for two hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.