Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by williamn78
Upped from WT+ to CW on BA99 from LHR to YYZ. Now have a 50% upgrade rate on this route!
I was going to post a complaining response to this bemoaning a lack of upgrades on this route over the course of the year.

I then went back through my flight history.

Out of the 15 flights I've done so far this year on this route - 10 have ended up in J when I should have been in W. That's a mix of 4 op-ups early in the year, UUAs in the middle part and a solitary paid J return that I picked up in the sale.

(For those that know my flying routine - the reason that flight count is low is because I have a habit of flying in and out by different routes every so often but still ending up in YYZ).

But we're now saving our Avios for a trip and I haven't seen a decent J rate recently. So I'm reliant on Op-ups which haven't appeared in my last 4 flights.

So I can't really complain THAT much.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA/EC Silver
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think that from pure numbers, those in WT+ probably have a higher chance of being op-upped, at least on the flights where there are a lot of op-ups.

Take a hypothetical example I've been using recently. A flight may be scheduled to be operated by an aircraft with a physical configuration of 14F 70J 30W 185Y, but BA might sell the flight as if the aircraft were configured 6F 40J 40W 213Y. If all went perfectly and exactly 299 passengers with confirmed reservations checked in with a cabin mix exactly matching the selling configuration, the airline would have to op-up 28 Y pax to W, 38 W pax to J, and 8 J pax to F.

That means that 28 out of 213 pax booked in Y (13%), 38 out of 40 pax booked in W (95%) and 8 out of 40 pax booked in J (20%) get op-upped. On that basis, it would hardly matter what kind of card you hold (or whether you hold any card at all) if you're booked in W.
For me, this is spot on also. I've had the vast majority of opups when booked in W, just 3 from J->F and just once from ET to CE... Total around 20-25. But sadly my Longhaul flying is now rare so its back of the bus these days!!!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President
Upgraded from J to F on Saturday for LHR to RUH...

Normal 744 was replaced by a 777...this was scheduled months prior, but since that weekend was always going to be the one when all the expats return after the Hajj Eid, BA predictably found themselves up against it.

Several passengers got down graded...I got buzzed up to F...

Wish I stayed where I was..service grim due to full cabins and food grimmer... I'd ordered a Thai red curry in advance for my J class meal - was offered it and should have taken it. Decided to go for F menu and the cod. It wasn't bad but I was still hungry and found myself raiding J class kitchen for bread rolls.

Having flown AA in J from DUB to PHL only a few weeks before, BA have really got to understand that their F product is how everyone else is flying their customers around in J. Vastily superior entertainment system, good food and nice seat.

Last edited by Chris_G; Oct 6, 2015 at 12:57 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 6, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC silver
WTP to 62K thank you BA
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Not 'this week' - a couple of weeks ago, WT to WT+ then WT+ to CW after takeoff. Had this once before - although WT to WT+ then WT+ to CW before takeoff as a mere Blue. I've had as many upgrades without status as with (and usually flying the lowest economy too!).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CKBA
Not 'this week' - a couple of weeks ago, WT to WT+ then WT+ to CW after takeoff. Had this once before - although WT to WT+ then WT+ to CW before takeoff as a mere Blue. I've had as many upgrades without status as with (and usually flying the lowest economy too!).
I'm happy to see that your new position allows you to accept upgrades.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I have had two upgrades this year: one Y to WTP and one WTP to CW. Not sure if this is pure luck, Civ related or down to routes/timings (both were leisure trips). In the previous 2/3 years not a single upgrade as far as I can remember. I don't think they happen as often as some people seem to think.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
my score is 1 in 10 not holding out for one at the weekend either but I'm happy in WT+
John
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Chris_G
Upgraded from J to F on Saturday for LHR to RUH...

Normal 744 was replaced by a 777...this was scheduled months prior, but since that weekend was always going to be the one when all the expats return after the Hajj Eid, BA predictably found themselves up against it.

Several passengers got down graded...I got buzzed up to F...

Wish I stayed where I was..service grim due to full cabins and food grimmer... I'd ordered a Thai red curry in advance for my J class meal - was offered it and should have taken it. Decided to go for F menu and the cod. It wasn't bad but I was still hungry and found myself raiding J class kitchen for bread rolls.

Having flown AA in J from DUB to PHL only a few weeks before, BA have really got to understand that their F product is how everyone else is flying their customers around in J. Vastily superior entertainment system, good food and nice seat.
I've flown in many full First Class cabins and have never known of a shortage of food. Did you ask the crew for another meal/course or something from the Bistro Menu?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
It feels churlish to complain about being upgraded, but this First World Problems are OK here.

LGW - AMS this morning on an A319 took me from lovely row 10 with lots of room to being squeezed into row 3.

I did get the kind of breakfast they routinely serve on domestics in Y though.

I know it's a short flight but the contrast with row 1 from PRG last week was massive. Crew was pretty indifferent and is it normal that you don't get any cold drink option with breakfast (my first CE breakfast) unless you specifically ask for it?

The biggest problem is that I wouldn't want it to affect my chances of getting an op-up on a long haul, especially not LHR-KUL on Friday night when I am in WTP (although cabin loads aren't looking encouraging!)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
From W to J just after dinner on BA28 last Thursday night. Crew were amazing and very perceptive.

Guy next to me wedged me in 14F and slept before take off.

Appalling check in experience at HKG. Apparently I had a booking not a ticket and even with all the evidence to the contrary on my iPad they persisted in an extraordinarily belligerent fashion for 20 minutes. I just proferred a credit card and said sort it out later if that is necessary - admittedly with the barbed if you are wrong you will need to compensate.

I made a joke about how unlucky I was to have been moved from 21D to 14F but obviously I understood their had been an equipment change. Stewardess took it in the good spirit I delivered it and 5 minutes later said she had been given permission to move me up to J.

Woke in the morning to find a much amused crew congratulating the stewardess for moving me - 5 minutes after I had moved the guy in the next seat woke up and projectile vomited all over his seat and the one I had vacated!
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Got my first ever BA upgrade on 103 (LHR-YYC) on Sunday from WT to WTP. I found out when I collected my BP at the airport.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Starbucks Gold,
An upgrade by default - the MAN-LHR BA1403 earlier this week was operated by G-MEDU, equipped with l/h J seats. These were sold as normal domestic. I was able to move from the 2100 dep to the earlier flight, and thought I would be crammed into 8A on a standard A321 as I had 1A on my original flight, but was pleasantly surprised to have loads of space and a lie-flat bed!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Hey guys, myself and partner have recently attained Silver and have booked Ex Dub to Sea on 27th Dec. we are on separate PNR,s as we are returning on different dates. It's only our second time in CW, and as we had an Equipment change to a 747 we got seats 64j and 64k which we are really looking forward to. Here's my question, if in the very small chance one of us get upgraded, are we allowed to refuse it?

It would not bother me in the slightest moving to F and leaving him behind for 10 hours, but I know I would pay for it once we landed 😀
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Woody12354
Hey guys, myself and partner have recently attained Silver and have booked Ex Dub to Sea on 27th Dec. we are on separate PNR,s as we are returning on different dates. It's only our second time in CW, and as we had an Equipment change to a 747 we got seats 64j and 64k which we are really looking forward to. Here's my question, if in the very small chance one of us get upgraded, are we allowed to refuse it?

It would not bother me in the slightest moving to F and leaving him behind for 10 hours, but I know I would pay for it once we landed 😀
You can turn it down but you may not be able to get the original seat back depending when you find out. E.g. if you're one of the last on board and the person in your old seat is already settled etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.