Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Upgraded from WT+ to Club World on BA 212 (BOS-LHR) last night. It was a joint AA-BA routing and the BA system wouldn't let me check in online/change seat assignment, which had me worried. Got to the departure airport and the AA agent printed out a CW seat assignment, a nice surprise. Got to Boston and switched to 64A on a very empty upper deck.

Happy year end!

(Edit: BA Exec Club Silver status)
CMK10 and testycal like this.

Last edited by DC Mike; Dec 31, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by DC Mike
Upgraded from WT+ to Club World on BA 212 (BOS-LHR) last night. It was a joint AA-BA routing and the BA system wouldn't let me check in online/change seat assignment, which had me worried. Got to the departure airport and the AA agent printed out a CW seat assignment, a nice surprise. Got to Boston and switched to 64A on a very empty upper deck.

Happy year end!
What status are you?
Old Dec 31, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
What status are you?
Edited above - BA Exec Club Silver. Interestingly, ticket was actually purchased through AA and sold as an AA flight number.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I got an upgrade on my last flight of the year, which was a redemption booking from LHR to TXL (Berlin). I got the beep and "seek assistance" at the gate, and was moved from 6D to 1C.

The passenger who ended up in 6D was off-duty BA cabin crew. I got the impression he hadn't expected to get on the flight and was very pleased that he did. Glad to have helped.
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Upgraded on Christmas Day from WT to WT+ going from JFK to LHR. I’m OWS (AA Plat) and spouse is OWR (AA Gold). Found out when we did 24-hour online check-in. Nice treat, considering we were on an HBO fare!
CMK10 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: IB Platino/OWE, LX SEN/*G, TP Gold/*G, ALL Accor Platinum
I got an upgrade from CW to F on BA 107 flight to DXB (January 1) which was a very nice start into the new year (and a very satisfactory compensation for the equipment change from A350 to B777).

WT and WTP were overbooked on this flight and they had to move someone from the WTP to my seat.

I booked a cheap premium economy ticket GVA-LHR-DXB (700 CHF) and upgraded it with Avios to CW. I would not have expected an upgrade in such a case ;-) A very nice surprise!

The service and food were excellent!!! A perfect flight (experience).

My return flight is also fully booked. Maybe I'll be lucky again ;-) :-p

I'm not EC member but at least IAG frequent flyer: IB Platino which is OWE.
CMK10 and navylad like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Amazing upgrade last week from WT to CW for both Spouse and I travelling from LHR back to JFK. Not sure what upgrade Karma came through, but a two cabin change for two people must have used up a lot of travel credits! Thank you British Airways - this was a very nice late Christmas present!
CMK10 and our_kid like this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:26 pm

In the flagship lounge at JKF. Just had a ping - upgraded from premium economy to row 1 business (no 1st on plane). BA Gold and my husband will be gold by the time we land.

This is my favourite thread and I now get to contribute.
sunshinebob and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
WTP-J EWR-LHR Jan 2020
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by matmas
I got an upgrade from CW to F on BA 107 flight to DXB (January 1) which was a very nice start into the new year (and a very satisfactory compensation for the equipment change from A350 to B777).

WT and WTP were overbooked on this flight and they had to move someone from the WTP to my seat.

I booked a cheap premium economy ticket GVA-LHR-DXB (700 CHF) and upgraded it with Avios to CW. I would not have expected an upgrade in such a case ;-) A very nice surprise!

The service and food were excellent!!! A perfect flight (experience).

My return flight is also fully booked. Maybe I'll be lucky again ;-) :-p

I'm not EC member but at least IAG frequent flyer: IB Platino which is OWE.
I'm actually lucky :-)

The day before yesterday upgraded from the cheapest Y to C on CX746 BAH-DXB (economy class was overbooked) and now 30 hours before the scheduled departure time on BA108 DXB-LHR from WTP to CW (upper deck seat in B744 is chosen :-p ).

But who knows if I can fly at all. BA seems not to operate the DXB flights at the moment and diverted planes from LHR to IST (for good reason of course...). What happens if the flight is canceled? I assume that the upgrade will "expire". Right?
yellow_peril likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold
But who knows if I can fly at all. BA seems not to operate the DXB flights at the moment and diverted planes from LHR to IST (for good reason of course...). What happens if the flight is canceled? I assume that the upgrade will "expire". Right?
Fingers crossed your flight leaves on time and you keep the upgrade. If the flight does get cancelled and you need to be rebooked on another carrier (or on a later BA flight) then it’s unlikely your OpUp upgrade will be carried over. An upgrade that you’ve done via UUA it with cash should be maintained through.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by absoluy
Fingers crossed your flight leaves on time and you keep the upgrade. If the flight does get cancelled and you need to be rebooked on another carrier (or on a later BA flight) then it’s unlikely your OpUp upgrade will be carried over. An upgrade that you’ve done via UUA it with cash should be maintained through.

The BA app shows for my flight a delay of 7h30 (new departure time: 5:30 pm), but the Twitter team said that I still have to be at the airport 1 hour before the scheduled departure time (10:05 am --> 9:05 am). Is this really a standard BA rule in such a case?! That seems crazy/ridiculous to me...

Thank you!

Last edited by matmas; Jan 8, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum

The BA app shows for my flight a delay of 7h30 (new departure time: 5:30 pm), but the Twitter team said that I still have to be at the airport 1 hour before the scheduled departure time (10:05 am --> 9:05 am). Is this really a standard BA rule in such a case?! That seems crazy/ridiculous to me...

Thank you!
This is the rule for all airlines in the US. You need to be at the airport for the regularly scheduled time in case they delay is reduced. I have seen people miss flights because they haven't arrived at the regularly scheduled time. The airline will not check baggage after the regularly scheduled cut off time. Additionally, I have seen delays reduced or erased completely because they swapped planes or made other adjustments to correct the delay.

In this case it does sound very frustrating. Hope you can at least get yourself into a nice lounge.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: ex BD(LG),HH(D),SPG(P)/(LG), BA(G)
A very Happy New Year to us from BA as other half and I were moved from Club 64J/64K to First 1K/2K. Chance of lifetime for him to fly in the nose of the 747 back to LHR from ORD. So much for the "we'll sleep all the way back on the plane - stayed awake for quite a while at both ends of the flight to enjoy the service, which was superb (complete opposite of the A350 experience from LHR-YYZ in seats 1A/2A; beautiful aircraft, incredibly slow service). Thank you again to the lovely staff in ORD for a great flying start to the new year/decade.
And a Happy New Year to all on here...safe travels, and thoughts to those caught up in the tragic Tehran-Kiev flight.
TTmex likes this.

Last edited by Only1BD; Jan 8, 2020 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
I actually prefer 62AK or 64A over 2K/1K for overnight flights. The additional leg space is worth it for me, and I don't care about the meal much since I try to eat before I fly overnight.
That said, every once in a while it does feel nice to be walked to a seat from door

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.