Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
First idiotic idea is free... ?
Got to give them something to do
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I wish I hadn't read that. It's so absurd it's messing with my head.
hahahaha... ^
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Not only BA but every single airline (including easyjet etc) and frequent flyers should campaign against this harebrained, anti-business, anti-commuter, anti-family-abroad measures.

I couldn't believe what I was reading and thought it was April Fool's joke.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/20/frequent-flyer-tax-leisure-airfares

First flight per year is free each flight after that is taxed at a ever increasing rate.

Aside from bankrupting BA and the devistation to our export industries can't see any drawbacks.
Are British politicians idiots?
How would this be enforced-especially condering
a) exEU
b) AAA-LON-AAA? (i.e. someone who flies regularly to one destination out of the UK may just buy tickets out of that place instead of exLON.)
c) a RTW ticket with stopover in LON?
d) mileage tickets?
e) non UK residents?
0 rated for VAT is also in accordance with international law.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by csutter
No word about unnecessary business travel, but heaven forbid that people travel for leisure because we want them all to be mindless sheep who believe in the utter superiority of all things at home.

I do wish that I could avail myself of the kind of psychoactive substances that the people who run (and/or want to run) this country seem to be enjoying 24/7...
Unfortunately, across the pond, I have met far too many of these types of people.
(Trust me when I say you do not want to be like one of them, especially being a member of a visible minority.)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paul4040
Yes, it's basically a tax on having family abroad. What a nonsense.

So if I want to go to Ireland to see my family, and not have it take 10 hours to get there, I have to pay a tax.
I thought the current very pricey APD was already a tax on having family abroad.

This new scheme appears to be a tax on better times ahead.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:19 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
When reading this, I had to check that the date wasn't 1st April.

This plan is totally unworkable and impractical. How would they enforce it?
  • It can't be based on travel documents, because many people have multiple travel documents, i.e. passports and national identity cards from more than one country.
  • It can't be based on an annual voucher or e-voucher system because they could be traded by those who never fly and would have to be issued to non-UK residents.
  • How would non-UK airlines enforce such a system and calculate the correct tax at the time of booking? Expensive enhancements would be necessary to booking systems worldwide and the operators of those systems would refuse.
  • How would a differentiation be made between leisure and business flights? People with their own companies could book all their travel through their companies (many do so already).
  • It would be unlawful for the system to favour or disfavour UK residents over residents of other EU countries.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09

Are British politicians idiots?
Yes.

It should be pointed out that the "idea" was conceived by green groups and think tanks, not politicians - as the article says. (It does mention mayoral candidates and ministers before that but in a different context)

It's only getting traction in the Guardian as it's a left wing newspaper.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2...y-from-flying/

I always have a laugh reading his posts. He was a signature on the letter. The comments will be coming in soon and he will only put up the ones that say he is wonderful.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:46 am

What an amazing concept! This could be extended to many other areas, and the rewards would be fantastic.

Tax on train travel ( one trip free each subsequent trip more expensive ). This would very rapidly resolve the problem with overcrowded trains.

Driving on a motorway. First trip free.... This would result in the end of traffic queues.

The opportunities are almost endless. Hotel stays, Theme parks, visits to the beach, All the overcrowding and queuing that spoil good times would be wiped out

The reduction in fuel usage would reverse global warming.

I can't see any downside.

(Except for the airlines and leisure industry going out of business and big brother monitoring of everything anyone does)
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sub heading of the Guardian article in the OP
Proposed tax would only hit better-off who holiday more than once a year

Originally Posted by The Guardian article in the OP
Using accepted methods to calculate the effect of price on demand, experts say the number of flights taken by the better-off for leisure purposes – which account for much of recent growth – would be cut to a level that would make extra airport capacity unnecessary.
In reality, growing demand for air travel is concentrated in the short-haul leisure sector and among a small, wealthy minority of the population.

This growth in flights is driven by air fares that are kept artificially low through generous tax subsidies; aviation is exempt from fuel duty by international treaty and zero rated for VAT, alongside wheelchairs and baby clothes. Yet these tax breaks almost exclusively benefit the richest section of British society.

Our research shows that this would let the UK meet our climate targets without making flying the preserve of the rich
As the politics of airport expansion get more difficult, we think the government should look seriously at the levy proposal, to ensure that the richest who take the most flights pay the most tax
It is a way of controlling the growth of aviation but still allowing ordinary families a holiday in the sun.
My bolding

Usual crap from the Guardian - all the above in an article that is only 14 short paragraphs

If you take more than 1 flight a year you're rich it seems, and you must be stopped
Old Jun 21, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by mrandery

My bolding

Usual crap from the Guardian - all the above in an article that is only 14 short paragraphs

If you take more than 1 flight a year you're rich it seems, and you must be stopped
The irony is, I bet a large proportion of the Guardian's readership take a goodly number of flights per year.

I haven't read the Guardian for years despite being a big fat lefty; its tone jars with me.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA OWS, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by paul4040
The irony is, I bet a large proportion of the Guardian's readership take a goodly number of flights per year.

I haven't read the Guardian for years despite being a big fat lefty; its tone jars with me.
Just choose the good parts.

I find most if not all newspapers annoying to a certain extent. Pruning which article to read (judging from the journo's previous style) usually keeps one really sane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.