FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Dragonair to BA Baggage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1689135-dragonair-ba-baggage.html)

Sharratt4 Jun 20, 2015 12:01 pm

Dragonair to BA Baggage

Hi folks! I don't post very often but just wondering if I could benefit from your collective experience!

Basically we have booked a redemption (pre changes) LHR > SIN (First) then returning HKG > LHR (Club World).

We have now begun to finalise our itinerary for the trip. We have booked a separate J ticket from SIN to DAD with Vietnam Airlines J Class (that isn't important but just adding it for context!).

Today we booked a redemption with Avios via BA on a Dragonair flight from DAD to HKG. This is booked into economy as business was not available (as I understand this may be a one class flight).

We were hoping, though not expecting that we may be able to get the two segments linked to take advantage of the F baggage allowance which applies to the rest of the trip and so that our bags could be interlined from DAD to LHR.

We spoke to YouFirst who advised that it wasn't possible to link the bookings so couldn't get the F baggage allowance throughout (no big deal) but importantly it would be at the discretion of the DragonAir representative at DAD as to whether they will check it all the way.

It isn't the end of the world if we have to claim and recheck though it would eat into our few hours sightseeing time in HKG. My question is, in your experience, what are the chances of the rep at DAD agreeing to our request to check through????

Thanks in advance for this and for all of the other info I have learned from you guys! :D

corporate-wage-slave Jun 20, 2015 12:55 pm

I would give you a very high chance of the Dragonair check in staff through checking. In fact I suspect they would do it even if your LHR sector was with Virgin or someone else. I see no problem there. Even if they refused, which I believe to be unlikely, then baggage return and recheck would only delay you by 30 minutes or so, though if the BA service was much later you may have to take the bags on to the Hong Kong Express and check them in again at Kowloon or HK Island. This is less trouble than it sounds, but again I can't see you ending up down this path.

Lucanesque Jun 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Having flown through DAD a few times (great location btw, enjoy your time around there!), I'd not be that confident (I've sadly never managed it!), it's all down to the person on the desk and whether they understand about interlining.

But... if you don't ask you don't get :)

MBDublin Jun 20, 2015 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sharratt4 (Post 25001091)
Hi folks! I don't post very often but just wondering if I could benefit from your collective experience!

Basically we have booked a redemption (pre changes) LHR > SIN (First) then returning HKG > LHR (Club World).

We have now begun to finalise our itinerary for the trip. We have booked a separate J ticket from SIN to DAD with Vietnam Airlines J Class (that isn't important but just adding it for context!).

Today we booked a redemption with Avios via BA on a Dragonair flight fro6m DAD to HKG. This is booked into economy as business was not available (as I understand this may be a one class flight).

We were hoping, though not expecting that we may be able to get the two segments linked to take advantage of the F baggage allowance which applies to the rest of the trip and so that our bags could be interlined from DAD to LHR.

We spoke to YouFirst who advised that it wasn't possible to link the bookings so couldn't get the F baggage allowance throughout (no big deal) but importantly it would be at the discretion of the DragonAir representative at DAD as to whether they will check it all the way.

It isn't the end of the world if we have to claim and recheck though it would eat into our few hours sightseeing time in HKG. My question is, in your experience, what are the chances of the rep at DAD agreeing to our request to check through????

Thanks in advance for this and for all of the other info I have learned from you guys! :D

I was able to check through bags to BA when on a seperate KA ticket to HKG. This was from CAN and with a 12 hour layover in HKG. I guess there is no reason to assume the policy would be any different from DAD.

corporate-wage-slave Jun 20, 2015 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 25001302)
Having flown through DAD a few times (great location btw, enjoy your time around there!), I'd not be that confident (I've sadly never managed it!), it's all down to the person on the desk and whether they understand about interlining.

But... if you don't ask you don't get :)

Indeed. Was that Cathay/Dragon to BA that you had issues with?

Lucanesque Jun 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 25001343)
Indeed. Was that Cathay/Dragon to BA that you had issues with?

Yep, which is why it was a bit of a disappointment... That said, HKG is such an easy airport to navigate that it wasn't really the end of the world for us

db7 Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm

DAD-HKG is one class flight - extra legroom at front if you can book it. I have had no problem through checking bags using the KA ow emerald/sapphire desk, but haven't tried it with BA.

BlackBerryAddict Jun 20, 2015 5:30 pm

We checked bags through from DAD via HKG to London in exactly that way: avios booking on KA, separatebooking on BA. no problem whatsoever.

AA_EXP09 Jun 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Do remember to claim back the HKD120 airport taxes if this is a connection.
(though personally, I would stop over at HKG.)

Sharratt4 Jun 21, 2015 1:58 am

Thanks for all your thoughts everyone! So looks like we will be fine, but won't worry too much if we get the thumbs down in DAD. It's a shame we can't get the same baggage allowance thought it but having looked at the excess charges it will hardly break the bank if we are a little over on the day!

Without wishing to go off topic does anyone know if the change from the 747 to A380 on the BA11 is permanent? I read that it is going to the A380 on selected rotations but that seems to stop at new year(ish). Have they just not got around to updating it beyond there or are they reverting back to the 747?

Sharratt4 Jun 21, 2015 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Lucanesque (Post 25001302)
Having flown through DAD a few times (great location btw, enjoy your time around there!)

It is, isn't it!

This trip is basically a repeat of one we did last year but with a week in Da Nang chilling out at the Fusian Mia and exploring the area a bit more as we found 4 days there just wasn't enough!

We've trimmed the days off of the HKG part of last year's itinerary as for some reason we just couldn't fall in love with it (the slate grey skies, rain and cold and the fact it was the last stop probably didn't help its cause though TBF :D That's why we're just popping back this time, either to confirm its never going to work between us, or whether to give it another try in the future!

Sharratt4 Jun 21, 2015 2:08 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict (Post 25002171)
We checked bags through from DAD via HKG to London in exactly that way: avios booking on KA, separatebooking on BA. no problem whatsoever.

Good to hear, thanks! How did you find the flight/service?

BA6501 Jun 21, 2015 2:24 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 25002862)
Do remember to claim back the HKD120 airport taxes if this is a connection.
(though personally, I would stop over at HKG.)

How do you do this?

Lucanesque Jun 21, 2015 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Sharratt4 (Post 25003227)
It is, isn't it!

This trip is basically a repeat of one we did last year but with a week in Da Nang chilling out at the Fusian Mia and exploring the area a bit more as we found 4 days there just wasn't enough!

We've trimmed the days off of the HKG part of last year's itinerary as for some reason we just couldn't fall in love with it (the slate grey skies, rain and cold and the fact it was the last stop probably didn't help its cause though TBF :D That's why we're just popping back this time, either to confirm its never going to work between us, or whether to give it another try in the future!

We had another week at the Fusion Maia this Easter, you're spot on about 4 days not being enough, it's possibly our favourite hotel in the world to just completely relax and unwind in :) Just writing about it makes me want to go back there!

This might be teaching grandma to suck eggs etc., and is definitely off topic (sorry mods), but if your visit coincides with a full moon then take a trip in to Hoi An, it's beautiful with all the street lights turned off and only lanterns and the moon providing the light. Dates for 2015 are here.

BlackBerryAddict Jun 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sharratt4 (Post 25003233)
Good to hear, thanks! How did you find the flight/service?

to be honest, even though it was only last Summer, I don't really remember - so I guess it must have been fine. We took a transfer from our hotel (intercontinental), checked in, no lounge iirc. I think they served us a box with fried rice - was ok but nothing special. It's not a long flight, so it didn't really matter that much.

We did have a long lay over in HKG - I think the flight arrived around noon, and the BA flight doesn't leave until midnight. We took the train to down town, spent some time there, and then went back early evening to the lounge for a shower and something to eat.