Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UA vacating JFK - potential for a new lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA vacating JFK - potential for a new lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Fun little fact! JFK T7 is the only USA terminal operated by a single foreign airline! BA is also the 4th largest airline at JFK.

In theory the lease to BA for T7 runs out this year. This could be an opportune moment for some construction to the terminal to occur. As much as it is touted, I personally don't think BA will move to T8. They need their CCR, GF and GC which are to a much higher standard than AA's lounges. The kicker is that there is not enough room in T8 during the peak times. Therefore, I think BA will renew its lease at T7 for the foreseeable future and we will start to see renovation, not new carriers.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Everyone is talking about development of the inside of the terminal and moving other carriers over etc, but forgetting that one of T7s biggest issues is actually aircraft stands, it is VERY tight on space outside.

United operates 4 or 5 gates/stands at T7 I believe, 3 of which I think can take a 757 maximum and the other 2 a 767 maximum.

UA moving out might allow a bit more space to put the Argentina and Iberia A330s and the Icelandair B757s, but as far as I can tell it doesn't make much difference in the short term.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I was told that we had extended our lease by 2 years and would be moving to T8, the delay was caused by AA going into Chapter 11.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I was told that we had extended our lease by 2 years and would be moving to T8, the delay was caused by AA going into Chapter 11.
This would make a lot of sense. Guess we should start to see some building going on at T8 to accom BA and their lounges (I hope to heavens BA is not considering using the AA Clubs).
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:35 am

"New York. It's been like trying to squeeze an elephant through an eye of a needle."

"Last year we were sharing a terminal with 46 other airlines, it was like the Eton Wall game."

"Pavement to plane in about 50 strides"

1971 BOAC ad for new JFK terminal.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA0197
This would make a lot of sense. Guess we should start to see some building going on at T8 to accom BA and their lounges (I hope to heavens BA is not considering using the AA Clubs).
We will be having our own lounges.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by Can I help you
We will be having our own lounges.
So are you saying BA will move into T8, with all of its flights and three lounges? Would there be an expansion to T8 or is the current capacity expected to be enough?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That I don't know.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: British Airways Silver Card
Maybe I'm missing the point but moving to T8 may sound good but I think BA F/J pax will get the short end of the stick... Under OW rules, if BA opened a GC & GF in T8, wouldn't everyone with F/J/OWS/OWE going in to T8 be able to use them? Given how bad the AA AC lounges are this just looks like mega overcrowding all-day everyday.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Caleklika
Maybe I'm missing the point but moving to T8 may sound good but I think BA F/J pax will get the short end of the stick... Under OW rules, if BA opened a GC & GF in T8, wouldn't everyone with F/J/OWS/OWE going in to T8 be able to use them? Given how bad the AA AC lounges are this just looks like mega overcrowding all-day everyday.
There is a carve-out in the access rules for overcrowding - i.e. I believe BA can deny entrance to members of partner FF programs if the lounge is / will be too crowded. If they moved to T8 and opened their own lounge complex, I could see them restricting it to those passengers flying BA metal (plus IB/CX/whoever else they're ground-handling) only
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
So are you saying BA will move into T8, with all of its flights and three lounges? Would there be an expansion to T8 or is the current capacity expected to be enough?
T8 is currently very full in the evenings, however it was only half-built. There is room to extend the main concourse by another ~6 widebody gates, and to expand the check-in/passport control/customs/baggage reclaim area as well.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by BA0197
They need their CCR, GF and GC which are to a much higher standard than AA's lounges.
In what sense? CCR in T7 beats flagship in T8 any day, but conversely, for a OW Emerald flying Y or J, Flagship beats T7 GF any day too! Even catering is arguably of nicer quality (if less choice) than the GC buffet we have to use when flying J and the room is definitely much less gloomy.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
They might build a OW international F only lounge, similar to the one in DOH, as well as a GF and GC for status passengers. I hope they won't opt for the new shared lounge concept.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
Originally Posted by Himeno
Building an airside connector between 7 and 8 would be difficult as the JFK expressway passes between the two.
It's not especially high - should be able to put something over the top at about the same height as the airtrain.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:51 pm

Yikes! If they move to T8, I hope they keep a CCR proper (not just some lounge-within-a-lounge / pre-flight dining for F pax) and also retain a priority security lane which spits you out beside said lounge.

Granted I've never experienced it at a particularly busy time or during IRROPs, but I love the premium BA setup at T7, even when in CW..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.