Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A pilot's eye view of a British Airways approach into Funchal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A pilot's eye view of a British Airways approach into Funchal

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by Saltire74
I do wish BA would participate in one of those Just Planes flightdeck documentaries using a 747 or A380.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Couldn't agree more
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by Hoch
That was really interesting to watch. BA should do an IFE channel on various landing destinations.

Thanks for sharing

H
Would be interested to know about FLR as well. If you look at the runway on Google maps you'll see what I mean. Very narrow with a massively displaced threshold in one direction.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Presumably some of the challenges also include:
1) There's nowhere to divert to if you don't like the weather
2) Take-off is heavy because flights need full tanks as it's a long way to anywhere (and it's a short runway even with the extension).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by catandmouse
2) Take-off is heavy because flights need full tanks as it's a long way to anywhere (and it's a short runway even with the extension).
The runway is over 9,000 feet at FNC. Longer than both Edinburgh and Glasgow which can take 777/747 traffic.

FNC isn't quite as remote as you think. There's PXO literally on the next island which has an even longer runway. The Canaries are less than 300 miles away.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by catandmouse
The "routine" diversion is to Porto Santo (PXO), 36 miles away with a 3000m runway and much less less alarming approach.

We ended up there after two stomach churning, missed approaches into Funchal: a couple were so upset they insisted on terminating their journey on Porto Santo. No idea if they got back to Funchal by ferry, caught another flight or just stayed to enjoy the glorious beaches of Porto Santo.

Canary Island (300-ish miles) and Moroccan airports (400+ miles) are alternatives.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I do like these videos. Think i might have to set funchal as my home airport in fsx with rex real time weather on. Whheeee!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
We were talking to a couple on the viewing terrace before we left Funchal. They were flying in two days before us but got diverted to Faro overnight as they couldn't land due to the high winds. Another plane returned to Gatwick apparently. They said that you get three attempts to land and failure to get down on the third means you get diverted.

It was a bit blowy when we landed there but got down first time. Strangely Funchal around the corner is very sheltered whereas Santa Cruz is very windy.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
If you want a full cockpit video from start to finish for a route then try this website recommended to me by fransknorge:

http://www.jetstreamtv.net/flightdeck/

There are three videos done by KLM from AMS-LHR in a 737-800, and all the detail is in there. I am not sure whether BA have any appetite for doing something similar, but it certainly would be interesting to watch if they did.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 2:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have copied part of the approach page for a visual approach to 05 below, as you can see if you follow the line of teh runway backwards you soon encouter high terrain hence the turning approach over the bay.

VOR VISUAL APPROACH Rwy 05

And just in case you don't get the message, in the notes:
Due to high terrain CAUTION should be exercised not flying left of approach light path
Also interesting are all the requirements to pilot a flight in to FNC:

Airport Briefing notes:
2. CREW REQUIREMENTS
a) Initial experience
To operate at Madeira airport, the Pilot-in-Command must have a minimum of 200 flying hours as captain on the concerned type of aircraft, before completing the initial training.
b) Recent experience
To operate at Madeira airport, the Pilot-in-Command must have performed there, on the last 6 months:
- one landing and take-off or,
- a flight simulator training comprising a landing and take-off on each runway, on a simulated adverse weather condition or,
- a line training flight to Madeira airport, comprising a landing and take-off,
assisted by a qualified instructor occupying the right-hand seat.

3. MINIMUM TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
In order to operate at Madeira airport, the operator must establish and accomplish beforehand a training program concerning the type of aircraft to be used. This training, if performed on local flights, must include at least, landings and take-offs by day and night in both directions, emphasizing:
- the take-off flight path to runway 23;
- the take-off flight path to runway 05;
- the balked landing (go-around initiated in landing configuration from very low
height) on both directions;
- the let-down and approach to both runways;
- the operational effect on runway slope and dimensions and associated safety margins.

If the training is to be performed in a flight simulator, the following procedures must be included in the training program, for each runway:
a) Take-off with engine failure after V1;
b) Relight after engine failure;
c) VOR approach;
d) Balked landing and go-around;
e) Visual approach;
f) Landing;
g) Weather conditions: Winds - the maximums as indicated in Operating Procedures and Limitations paragraph 1.b. & 1.c. (see 10-6A & 10-6B), severe turbulence. Windshear and up and downdrafts must be included in the different approaches;
h) One landing at night must be executed for each runway.

6. TRAINING PROGRAM
The training program referred in paragraph 3 will have to be approved by INAC
(Portuguese Civil Aviation Authority).
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:09 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
As evidenced by one of the videos kindly posted by IAN-UK above, one certain airline has a very firm one attempt TorT Policy (Touchdown or Tenerife!)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by paul4040
The runway is over 9,000 feet at FNC. Longer than both Edinburgh and Glasgow which can take 777/747 traffic.
Funchal can match that

(but turn the sound down and go directly to minute 5)

Karfa's chart demonstrates the turn required for landing from the south-west. In bad weather it's a bouncy passenger-alarming pivot on a wing-tip over choppy seas. However, TAP's accident was a landing from the north-east: less-complicated, but night-time, bad weather, tired crew, short runway. Last attempt before the planned diversion to Las Palmas ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TAP_Portugal_Flight_425

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.