Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Upgrading using Avios and Stopovers/Open Jaws

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD

I believe I am ready to purchase my ticket (PHL-LHR-TLV-SEA, 100% on BA metal). I plan on crediting my AA account with the flight and have a few questions before I stop doing flight research and wait until I can book it. I am planning on purchasing WT+ and UuA to CW. I have slightly changed the cities so that my itinerary is not public, but the routes all lie within the same region and the same distance with regards to the Avios chart.

First question: I am planning to credit my AA account, but UuA from my personal BAEC. Is this a problem at all? I've found people here who have said they have credited friends' tickets, this does not seem any different. This belief was brought on by http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ng-myself.html option (b), which people said works. I don't see much difference between my situation and the one in that thread, but if this does not work it breaks my entire vacation (since my vacation is based around specific planes and class).

Second question: Am I able to UuA individual flights instead of whole segments? I apologize, my terminology might be off. I have four flights in my itinerary PHL-LHR, LHR-TLV, TLV-LHR, LHR-SEA with LHR being my stopover prior to TLV, my destination. Am I able to upgrade any flight within my itinerary that I wish? For example, can I upgrade every flight EXCEPT the TLV-LHR flight? I am unable to do this online, you can only choose between which segments (to destination, from destination) you want upgraded, not individual flights within the segment. So, I am just verifying that I could choose to NOT upgrade my TLV-LHR flight, but upgrade my LHR-SEA flight (part of the same segment).

I appreciate any an all help you guys can provide, thanks!

Edit: No question about open jaws, even though I do have one on the US-side. I was going to ask a third question but decided against it... forgetting to change the title.

Last edited by ahiromu; Jun 9, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ahiromu
First question: I am planning to credit my AA account, but UuA from my personal BAEC. Is this a problem at all?

Second question: Am I able to UuA individual flights instead of whole segments?
1. No.
2. Yes.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:37 am

Before you buy your ticket, have you checked availability for UuA?

I'm not familiar with doing so on your routes so I have no idea how feasible it will be. Some routes have extremely scarce availability and people sometimes buy first and then get a nasty surprise when they try to UuA.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLAT, UA GOLD
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Before you buy your ticket, have you checked availability for UuA?

I'm not familiar with doing so on your routes so I have no idea how feasible it will be. Some routes have extremely scarce availability and people sometimes buy first and then get a nasty surprise when they try to UuA.
I appreciate your asking me this question, but I have done my due diligence... I think . Flights from WAS-PHL-NYC (all of which can be my starting point) to LON are pretty available in club and open my trip (so I won't have as much trouble finding these). Flights from LON to the Western US coast are the worst, but since they make up the last day of my itinerary I can book those the moment they open up.

Additionally, I'm a federal employee and have absolute flexibility. Never hurts when planning a vacation!

Originally Posted by Globaliser
1. No.
2. Yes.
I was confused and worried for a moment, then realized I worded the first question in the negative. Great to hear.

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate that you took the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.