Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FCO lounge or lack of it and compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by shefgab
After my recent experience with BA in a number of European locations, I get the clear impression that lounges are very low on the priority list to get sorted, either at new or established locations. If the FCO lounge wasn't rebuilt I wouldn't be surprised. The fact that lounges are often used as a selling point for Gold/Silver/CE seems irrelevant. BA really do not care if there is a lounge of not.
Yeah they also aren't that great. Lucky if you get a room the size of a double bedroom.

Quite frankly I can only laugh at anyone that would bother buying CE anyway. The service is not premium by any extent and you're pretty rammed in there, just like the Y pax.

Yes I speak as a GCH so always have access to the lounge but even if I didn't, would I purchase a CE ticket so I could? Never in a billion years.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:28 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Originally Posted by HereToHelp
Lounges are a complimentary service. When you buy a premium ticket, you aren't buying the complimentary services as part of the package. You are just paying for a better product and service for your transportation from point A to B. The lounges are a way of the airline showing you gratitude for your custom. In this case the BA does not need to compensate you for the lack of a lounge thereof.
This argument has no legal basis. Where do you get this rubbish from? If a business advertises a component as part of a service, then the provision of that component forms part of the contract for the service. By failing to provide the advertised lounge, BA is in breach of contract. The only exception is where BA drew the consumer's attention to the lack of a lounge before the contract was concluded (i.e. before the purchase of the ticket). The passenger has a right to claim damages from BA in respect of its breach of contract. Such damages would include the cost of entry to another lounge or the purchase of refreshments from elsewhere in the airport.

Your argument that "lounges are a complimentary service" is totally false. BA does not advertise its lounges as being free or complimentary or any similar word. If it did so while requiring the purchase of a ticket in order to access the lounges, it would be in breach of Schedule 1 Regulation 20 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
FCO lounge or lack of it and compensation

Oh God, not another armchair lawyer thread.

Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:30 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Are any of the priority pass lounges still available at FCO?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Plat, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by db7
Are any of the priority pass lounges still available at FCO?
Yes, I used 'Le Anfore' a few days after the fire - it's in a satellite so it was unaffected. Decent bar and very quiet at the time.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:08 pm

Technically, it does exist. The usability of the lounge is what is missing.
The type of claptrap you would expect from BA.

"Sorry sir but the lounge does exist. Unfortunately it had been reduced to ashes in a fire a couple of months back but rules is rules and no vouchers are available.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
If you look at the features and benefits now of Club Europe now it says Where available, lounges to work or relax before your flight as opposed to Lounges to work or relax before your flight.. In KRK despite BA telling me before that there would be lounge access the airport made no secret of the fact that BA wouldn't sign the contract for lounge provision.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Were you flying in CE or a status pax in ET?

I'd have been miffed if I was in CE and nothing else not even a voucher was offered. Those with status flying in ET? A case of tough luck I'm afraid.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by NFH
This argument has no legal basis. Where do you get this rubbish from? If a business advertises a component as part of a service, then the provision of that component forms part of the contract for the service. By failing to provide the advertised lounge, BA is in breach of contract. The only exception is where BA drew the consumer's attention to the lack of a lounge before the contract was concluded (i.e. before the purchase of the ticket). The passenger has a right to claim damages from BA in respect of its breach of contract. Such damages would include the cost of entry to another lounge or the purchase of refreshments from elsewhere in the airport.

Your argument that "lounges are a complimentary service" is totally false. BA does not advertise its lounges as being free or complimentary or any similar word. If it did so while requiring the purchase of a ticket in order to access the lounges, it would be in breach of Schedule 1 Regulation 20 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/lounges

All lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions. The restriction for FCO is due to the fire. It doesn't state anywhere on the website or the ticket that if there is no lounge you are ENTITLED to a voucher.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
If you look at the features and benefits now of Club Europe now it says Where available, lounges to work or relax before your flight as opposed to Lounges to work or relax before your flight.. In KRK despite BA telling me before that there would be lounge access the airport made no secret of the fact that BA wouldn't sign the contract for lounge provision.
I read on this board (maybe you posted it), that they didn't sign the lounge contract because people whinged about it being poor last time they served KRK.

Seems odd then, that they persist with the comedy offerings at places like GOA and BOD.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:53 pm

FCO Lounge

My first post! We flew from FCO on the way to LHR this past Saturday. I asked at the CE/CW check-in desk if the lounge was re-opened and told "sorry, no it is not." I replied that was probably disappointing to Business Class folks who expected to be able to stop by for a drink or food, and the BA person said "yes, and also disappointing to all other passengers hoping to shop at the businesses in Terminal 3 that are now closed." No offer of voucher or anything, but I had known that in advance.

Last edited by Carolyn_in_Edmonds, WA; Jun 12, 2015 at 7:18 am
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by NFH

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/lounges

All lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions. The restriction for FCO is due to the fire. It doesn't state anywhere on the website or the ticket that if there is no lounge you are ENTITLED to a voucher.
And it isn't in any way misleading to show online that a lounge is available when BA know full well it isn't? Still you would never get BA to do anything more than absolutely necessary in this area.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Carolyn_in_Edmonds, WA
My first post! We flew from FCO on the way to LHR this past Saturday. I asked at the CE/CW check-in desk if the lounge was re-opened and told "sorry, not it is not." I replied that was probably disappointing to Business Class folks who expected to be able to stop by for a drink or food, and the BA person said "yes, and also disappointing to all other passengers hoping to shop at the businesses in Terminal 3 that are now closed." No offer of voucher or anything, but I had known that in advance.
Welcome to Flyertalk Carolyn_in_Edmonds, WA, welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk. Thanks very much for that snippet, though I'm not sure that was the most diplomatic of replies! But I hope you enjoyed your visit to the Eternal City at least. Welcome on board.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50k, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plus Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I remember a few years ago when coming back from Naples that BA apologised that the lounge was closed for refurb (or was being constructed) and offered vouchers to CE pax to use throughout the airport.

Hopefully, when the FCO lounge re-opens we can look forward to something akin to the new AMS lounge, including improved catering!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by paul4040
I read on this board (maybe you posted it), that they didn't sign the lounge contract because people whinged about it being poor last time they served KRK.

Seems odd then, that they persist with the comedy offerings at places like GOA and BOD.
and LIS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.