Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways mixed fleet/worldwide fleet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Lynyrd

Yup they were wearing hats, and introduced as "Cabin Manager," plus had their full name on the badges which is a MF thing right?

Not that I care, I was just surprised that's all.
On a slight sidenote, it's no longer a requirement for Mixed Fleet to have full names on badges.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by davidrr16
On a slight sidenote, it's no longer a requirement for Mixed Fleet to have full names on badges.
Good. I presume this is to prevent Facebook stalking and the like?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by sigma421
You would imagine so.

I once knew a Grade-A DYWKIA who had a run-in with a purser in Club, and then found him on Twitter and sent him abuse the following day about the incident.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by sigma421
There's been a few instances of this happening.

Lots of crew on MF have been asking for a while to choose the option to put either first name or first and surname on their badges.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Which what the other fleets have always had, BA were reminded about this when they set up MF but in their wisdom ignored it.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by paul4040
You would imagine so.

I once knew a Grade-A DYWKIA who had a run-in with a purser in Club, and then found him on Twitter and sent him abuse the following day about the incident.
My word - do people have nothing better to do??
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
My word - do people have nothing better to do??
This guy didn't. I mean, the Purser was in the wrong according to the details of the incident I heard, but no need to track someone down on Twitter about it.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Overheard at LIS now - "oh you won't see is again. The hats are getting this from next month"
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MF crew are known as "The Hats" by many crew on the other fleets, I don't think anything bad is meant by it.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
I've found FlyBe crew to be better than MF crew on recent flights...FlyBe have hats too I find their crew to be a lot more down to earth, friendly and efficient than some MF crew.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Incomprehensible/ confusing announcements

That at least 50% of MF crews are not up to the job, consume the more interesting choices of club Europe/club world meals, too uneducated to manage communication with customers ...is less worrying than safety implications. A lot of them are not able to read out announcements intelligebly or will read out the wrong announcement: the captain announces that twenty minutes is left before landing and the crew announcement on a European flight follows with the long-haul announcement that within twenty minutes the washrooms will cease to be available for use as the seatbelt sign will be illuminated. And all those 'we at BA are proud etc about helping children living 'indrerigbly' tough lives...'
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:22 am

How much of the problem is down to the crew themselves or to poor preparation/briefing by the airline?
Two months ago I was on the second ever scheduled LHR-KGS flight, which is a Mixed Fleet route.
Absolutely no problems with the basic service standards, courtesy, or helpfulness.
Two route-specific issues: passenger requests to buy duty-free spirits. As this is an internal EU flight you can't buy these on board, and none had been loaded for that reason. Crew member confused, had to call colleague. Surely MF do lots of intra-EU flying and must know which country they are flying to?
The second issue though is entirely down to BA management. The Greek language announcements were prerecorded, as is normal. But the ones supplied were the announcements for Athens, and go into some detail about connections (I've heard them on the approach to ATH often enough). The SCCM obviously realised what was happening and made a further announcement (in English) that there were no connecting facilities at Kos and passengers had to exit through Passport Control and the Red or Green customs channels. Kos airport has separate baggage reclaims for EU and non-EU flights, so no customs at all for passengers from LHR. But how could the SCCM know this if it was only the second ever flight? He should have been supplied with a briefing about a new airport, and obviously wasn't.
Coming back two weeks later, by when Galley FM had spread the word amongst the crews, no issues whatever.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jonathan1974 I have no idea if you are BA staff or a customer, if you have read any of my posts about MF you will know that I am no fan of the existence of the fleet.
If you are BA staff you really are doing more harm then good posting in such a derogatory manner.
We have to accept that MF is here to stay and BA are happy to accept that there will be service failures, I know that we are also not perfect on any of the other fleets.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We had MF crew both ways to/from IAD recently [A380 in CW] and were well pleased by their performance. All seemed very engaged and proactive. "Tick VG" from my POV on both sectors.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

answer to `can i help you'

of course I am not a BA employee; I am a frequent premier class business traveller, in the process of stopping using BA because of some really unpleasant experiences on MF. No, you are not right: none of the three other `fleets' demonstrates the shortcomings of the majority of the MF crew. The people I feel really sorry for are the other 35-40% of MF: the excellent (badly-paid and ill-treated) cabin crew of whom there are of course hundreds, if not thousands of members by now and who have to work alongside people completely unfit for this kind of work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.