Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by orbitmic
And I guess, to me the basic test would be one of reasonableness: if I want to take something, would I feel comfortable doing it openly in front of the lounge staff and consider that they would probably consider it ok? If yes that's fine, if not, I wouldn't do it. Would I feel comfortable taking a paper in front of a lounge staff and if asked, explain that I'd rather read the Times on my flight than the Daily Mail or Independent likely to be there? Yes. Would I be comfortable taking a can of bitter lemon or a bag of crisps with me saying that I'd rather eat/drink that than the ones served on board? Yes. Would I feel comfortable refilling my small plastic bottle with water in full view of the staff and explain that I like to keep a bottle of water with me during the flight? Absolutely and I do it almost every time. Would I feel comfortable taking 5 cans of bitter lemon or a bottle of whisky in full view of the staff and feel that I could convincingly explain that this is for my flight? Absolutely not, so I will not do it.
^
The world would be a better place if this moral test was used. If one wouldn't do an act in public, then it requires thinking if it is correct or not.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jouhka
Another funny incident;

was in LHR T5GC on Saturday and there was an elegant (?) & obviously well-off British extended family heading for ski holiday in Switzerland - a party of 10 (gramma; grpapa; 2xwifes; 2xhusbands; 4xkids). Wearing Prada & LV and so on - so unless those were fake they looked quite well-off.

They were having pre-flight drinks. During the tenure the 2 husbands (sons of GM/GP) started loading their bags with some 20-25 cans of tonic water. They were about to buy 2 liters of taxfree gin in duty free for apres-ski drinks.

Would have loved to see the lounge personnel offload those tonic cans. Instead kept my mouth shut and moved on.

...(wish I would have had the courage to say something)...
What dreadful behaviour and what a shocking example for the children.

In all my flying years, the worst and most horrible people that we ever had to serve were the skiers on charter flights. People like this may have money, but they have no class. I hope that one of them burst and went all over their cases.

Funnily enough I thought of my Mum, Lord rest her, who was invited to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace. She had long emptied chocolates, which had been served with coffee in restaurants, into her handbag (for later, I couldn't possibly manage one now). Terrified that she might apply the same at Buckingham Palace, I told her that her handbag would be inspected on departure as well as arrival.

"I suppose that's to stop people stealing the teaspoons. Shocking! Fancy stealing from the Queen!"" she reasoned.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Worcester
Wouldn't you say the Daily Mail (and the Daily Express perhaps more so) are cultural idiosyncratic?
Idiosyncrasies, definitely -- cultural, only in the loosest sense of the word!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC
I took a Guinness out of the lounge in Amsterdam because there were no seats so wanted to drink it at the gate and the lady started running after me down the stairs. I made a sharp left and escaped. A bit extreme I thought.

Last edited by u01sss3; Jul 3, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:39 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by u01sss3
I took a Guinness out of the lounge in Amsterdam because there were no seats so wanted to drink it at the gaze and the lady started running after me down the stairs. I made a sharp left and escaped. A bit extreme I thought.
Most facilities have rules that food and drink are only for consumption in the lounge.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Most facilities have rules that food and drink are only for consumption in the lounge.
I do get that but there wasn't a free seat in the place and I didn't think a small Guinness can was taking the mickey.
NoY likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I do get that but there wasn't a free seat in the place and I didn't think a small Guinness can was taking the mickey.
I take your point about the seating but where do you draw the line on the number of items? If one is ok, how about two or three? Or five? Given that all judgments about where to draw the line are subjective isn't it just easier to stick to the published rules?

Perhaps you should have mentioned the seating problem to the lady chasing you?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
..................the lady started running after me down the stairs. I made a sharp left and escaped. A bit extreme I thought.
What would you say was extreme : your behaviour - or that of the lounge staff member ??

Presumably you ‘escaped’ because you felt you had acted inappropriately ?

But if you believe you had done no wrong, then why not stop, listen calmly to what the staffer had to say to you, and defend your actions ?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:16 am

I would have played it differently but I think taking one beer in a situation where there are no free seats in the lounge is not unreasonable.
NoY, muji, KeaneJohn and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:17 am

I chose the word escaped because I was being pursued. The inner child in me was the reason I ran away. I think the lounge staff were aware there was no seating because quite a few people were stood by the entrance.
I don't feel particularly guilty as I could have stood and consumed more in the remaining time but would rather be more comfortable at the gate.
NoY and G_CIVV like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I took a Guinness out of the lounge in Amsterdam because there were no seats so wanted to drink it at the gate and the lady started running after me down the stairs. I made a sharp left and escaped. A bit extreme I thought.
If you were so desperate for a Guinness, what was preventing you drinking it standing up in the lounge? After all, that’s what most people do in a pub.

Doc Copper
worldtrav, HIDDY and flygirl68 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
When you are in charge of free food and drink and surrounded by Dutch people, you need to be on top of your game at all times.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ u01sss3 - appreciate your honest response, thanks.

Can’t say I support your ‘inner child’ behaviour. In a similar overcrowded lounge scenario I would be happier to sit in comfort at one of the many F&B outlets in AMS and simply pay for a drink.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
Great thread. I remember a cartoon once following a story about a person becoming deceased during the flight the. being stored in first class. The gist was the corpse was praised as being a real first class passenger for not having gone to town on champagne like an ‘upgrader’.

I was recently praised by BA staff in F as being ‘cheap as chips and easy to please’ when I declined most of the service having just connected from another long haul. I wear it as a badge of pride and rarely consume anything in the lounge.

Except when I don’t of course but I have lots of good reasons then.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ u01sss3 - appreciate your honest response, thanks.

Can’t say I support your ‘inner child’ behaviour. In a similar overcrowded lounge scenario I would be happier to sit in comfort at one of the many F&B outlets in AMS and simply pay for a drink.
Agree, I'd have spoken with the lounge folks. you brought this on yourself I'm afraid. lots of options at AMS as said above.

Never knew there was such a thread as this here, learn something every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.