Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Apr 10, 2024, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have seen signs in the lounge that state that the items are for consumption in the lounge
Either you accept that taking things out despite this is ok or you don't
There is no sign that I saw that says taking small items out is ok but bottles of wine are not

If you think that it is ok to take some things, then don't get outraged at the actions of someone else
can of beer, bottle of water or bottle of wine - the principle is the same
So in my example (that you removed from your quote of mine) in your mind it is stealing to take the remains of an already half consumed bag of crisps. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Taken out of context, I was simply responding to somebody who said 250ml is not enough to survive when it clearly is.
You have just done the same thing taken their point out of context! They never mentioned survival. They said hydration. Medical advice suggests drinking 625ml for 2.5hrs in the air, so technically they are correct; 250ml is not enough for hydration but you will survive.
tmac100 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You are, of course, quite right. I have had a problem with the very name of this thread. To me the Lounges are all about hospitality. One does not mess with hospitality. It is rude if you do. Had BA wanted you to take the stuff, it would put it out on a tray or some such. Clearly it does not. I am from a time when eating or drinking in the street was most ill viewed by my Mother - unless it was ice cream then she compromised. I never drink coffee from paper "to go" cups as I am too afraid of spilling it, scalding myself, or staining whatever I was wearing. I am in a minority as everyone seems to wonder around clutching these cups. Stealing is taking another person or organisation's property without permission - food items are hardly "property" in my view. Were they to appropriate the china or glasses that is another matter - the wines are put out usually in open bottles so that you can serve yourself. How on earth this woman achieved and got away with taking a bottle of wine is beyond me. There are usually too many people and moreover someone has a phone to hand to catch you red-handed.. I would die of shame if I was caught. She might brazen it out and laugh; I have no idea.

I would say that this is an area where people have plastic principles - it's ok to take bottles of water or packets of crisps but certainly not bottles of wine. I would certainly say that what you have not finished then since you can scarcely put them back - it is fine to take them rather than waste them.
There are unopened bottles placed in an ice bucket on the terrace. Obviously they don't want to remove the cork until they are ready to serve.

Just before covid paid us a visit they used to have an ice bucket by the old CCR Quintessentially desk, and in it was an opened bottle of LPGS for guests to help themselves plus a couple of unopened bottles chilling. BaxterStory removed this provision because of the number of bottles that were being appropriated. Sadly I witnessed several bottles being liberated from the lounge over the period - including by members from here. Bottles were disappearing almost daily, sometimes several times a day.

Of course the appropriation was done clandestinely, the perps making sure the agents at the desk were not watching. I did witness one person being chased by a staff member to recover their ill-gotten gain.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:22 am

Programs: BA silver
Would you sleep with me for a million pounds? Yes!
would you sleep with me for sixpence? Of course not! what do you think I am?

We have anlready established that, we are now simply haggling over the price. 😂
tmac100 and flarmip like this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Every time this thread pops back up, I'm literally embarrassed for all humankind...

Regards
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
You are, of course, quite right. I have had a problem with the very name of this thread. To me the Lounges are all about hospitality. One does not mess with hospitality. It is rude if you do. Had BA wanted you to take the stuff, it would put it out on a tray or some such. Clearly it does not. I am from a time when eating or drinking in the street was most ill viewed by my Mother - unless it was ice cream then she compromised. I never drink coffee from paper "to go" cups as I am too afraid of spilling it, scalding myself, or staining whatever I was wearing. I am in a minority as everyone seems to wonder around clutching these cups. Stealing is taking another person or organisation's property without permission - food items are hardly "property" in my view. Were they to appropriate the china or glasses that is another matter - the wines are put out usually in open bottles so that you can serve yourself. How on earth this woman achieved and got away with taking a bottle of wine is beyond me. There are usually too many people and moreover someone has a phone to hand to catch you red-handed.. I would die of shame if I was caught. She might brazen it out and laugh; I have no idea.

I would say that this is an area where people have plastic principles - it's ok to take bottles of water or packets of crisps but certainly not bottles of wine. I would certainly say that what you have not finished then since you can scarcely put them back - it is fine to take them rather than waste them.
Perhaps we need to suggest to BA that they open a Mucci Lounge - just for the select few that have the class to behave themselves appropriately
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:05 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ratechaser
Perhaps we need to suggest to BA that they open a Mucci Lounge - just for the select few that have the class to behave themselves appropriately
That sounds a wonderful idea - however if anyone thinks that I am going to sit on the desk to be referred to as The Lounge Dragon - then my hairbrush will be much in evidence! I was never the Dolly with the Trolley except in Europe and on charters.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:24 am

Currently in T5B and eyeing up this nine litre bottle which should keep me refreshed all the way to BER.
can anyone advise the best way of getting it past the lounge dragons?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by ManInExitRow
Currently in T5B and eyeing up this nine litre bottle which should keep me refreshed all the way to BER.
can anyone advise the best way of getting it past the lounge dragons?
I'm more concerned that the cleaning trolley is left around.
cockpitvisit and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by golfmad; Apr 10, 2024 at 8:31 am Reason: Removed quoted image
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:39 am

Programs: BA Silver , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by ManInExitRow
Currently in T5B and eyeing up this nine litre bottle of Whispering Angel which should keep me refreshed all the way to BER. Can anyone advise the best way of getting it past the lounge dragons?
Have you actually tasted that cr@p?
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Bronze!! Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pampa
I forgot which lounge, I think it may have been the Alaska lounge at SEA, but they had a row of water bottles to go near the exit. Loved that.
The Alaska lounge also has a Starburcks takeaway stand (with cookies) place your order and off you go!
pampa likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Yes, Your Honour, I plead guilty with an explanation ....
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
If I’ve opened the packet of crisps and eaten half of them before I walk out the door, would that be ok with you? Or must I leave the half finished packet at the door lest plod pursue me?
Pretty much the very same debate was had further up thread and the responses were really quite amusing, ranging across the whole spectrum. From the holier-than-thou / butter-wouldn't-melt / self righteous / "theft is theft" etc to the other end of I have paid for this because my C or J ticket is more expensive / I have paid for this because I am a status member. I'm more of the latter, I certainly wouldn't lift a bottle of champers or wine but absolutely would take a half-eaten bag of crisps to finish on the way to the gate, a can of coke or apple etc.

I wonder if this analogy is relevant? If you are in a restaurant and decide that you cannot eat all that you are served and decide to take the remainder of your meal home with you, or maybe the rest of your bottle of wine if you can't finish it with the meal - I have seen this happen countless times BTW. Is that theft? In the minds of most people (I believe) it wouldn't be theft because you have paid for this food and wine - either at the start when you ordered in a pub or at the end if in a restaurant and the bill arrives.

Now I see the similarity with the restaurant analogy and BA lounges is that a passenger certainly HAS paid for the meals, drinks and snacks on offer in the lounge but the difference is the transaction happened some days / weeks / months earlier when the ticket was booked - because a C or J ticket has some premium in there for the extras BA provide with the lounge access. Or if lounge access is due to status, a "premium" of sorts has also been already paid with cumulative ticket sales to BA over the year.

Maybe this is why some feel so uncomfortable with someone taking small items from the lounge because it feels like you haven't handed over any on the day.....but if you did then maybe it would feel much more like a pub / restaurant experience. Does anyone really think taking your half consumed bottle of wine or half-eaten piece of chocolate cake in a serviette from a restaurant is theft in any way?
tmac100 likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:11 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Between you and me - I'd have told her to put it back - NOW!
OT... but I used to stay 4 nights a week in a hotel in London that had happy "hour" in the lounge from about 17:30 to 21:30. Free wine, beer and snacks. The lounge attendant would generally put a couple of bottles of red and white out about 20:45 and then finish around 21:00, so there should have been enough to keep people happy until 21:30 (it was normally quiet at this time).

One evening I went to get a top up at just before 21:00 and there was no wine, so I asked him if he was going to put anymore out? He looked puzzled and said he'd put 4 bottles out not 5 minutes before. Anyway, he got another bottle of each and I got my top up. He said that somebody had been swiping bottles, but hadn't caught anybody as yet. I took that as a challenge...

A few nights later I was in again and the last remaining full bottle of red was in my sights. I saw some guy come in and put the bottle on his table as if he was going to pour himself a glass. He then went to get a newspaper, and immediately covered the wine up with the paper. He sat there for a few minutes, then picked up the newspaper / wine and headed for the door.

Just as he got to the door I asked him if a could have another glass of the wine before he took it away? His face was a picture, he pulled the bottle out from the newspaper, thrust it into my hand and left without saying a word

This guy was a regular (I believe he actually worked for the same company as me), but I hardly saw him again after that night. I mentioned it to the attendant and described the guy (he was a spitting image of Ben Elton) and he know who I meant, so no doubt he kept an eye on him after that.

I was talking to the GM of the hotel a while later, and he told me how many bottles of wine the lounge got through, and I was amazed. Unfortunately, because of this, they had to "downgrade" the wine offering from the perfectly drinkable (IMO) Hardy's Mill Cellars Shiraz to something that tested like battery acid (IMO)
Old Apr 10, 2024, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Have you actually tasted that cr@p?
Yes. But occasionally it is necessary to drink a very low standard of wine in order to maintain a very high level of blood alcohol 😂

But I do prefer LPGS. 😀
BA or bust and Howard Long like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.