Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by T8191
Now who is this Mr. J W Blue that everyone keeps mentioning?
https://www.johnniewalker.com/en-gb/...er-blue-label/
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I fully acknowledge that I having nothing of substance or value to add to this thread, but man every time I visit the BA forum these days and see a threaded titled, "Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge" at the top of the queue it just makes me sad...

Regards
IAN-UK and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:49 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
I fully acknowledge that I having nothing of substance or value to add to this thread, but man every time I visit the BA forum these days and see a threaded titled, "Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge" at the top of the queue it just makes me sad...

Regards
I agree. Having read the comments and responses to my having dared take a croissant and mini-can of coke from the lounge (UNOPENED), I have come up with a 5-point plan as follows:

1. I will take a teeny, tiny, smallest nibble on the end of any croissant - so it counts as something already being consumed (this is definitely not theft apparently).
2. Likewise with an apple, just a small nibble....maybe just my teeth marks to be really daring.
3. A packet of crisps....that's easy. I can pull the bag open, take one crisp out and fold the top of the bag over - the more folded the better so there can be no doubt.
4. A mini-can of coke is a bit of a dilemma though because it will go flat. So I'll pull the ring-pull up to juuuust before it would open, if I am stared at or challenged by the "disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" self-righteous, brigade I can try and bluff and say it is pretty much opened.
5. I will ensure I ask the Agent every single time whether this is OK as I leave each BA lounge. If nothing else, the sheer farce of me asking (nibbled croissant in hand) will brighten her day.....double bonus there.

I have thought long and hard about this and each step. But I can now hopefully get some sleep tonight after the insomnia of last night......being branded a thief etc.

Because after all, "theft is theft" according to our learned Steve in Olympia, Particularly on this scale, we must all take it VERY seriously
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Thank you, PETER01 ... a poor joke on my part clearly!
crazyarmadillo likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
There are some very polarising / opposing / extreme opinions on this thread. It's fun to read

For me, the issue is whether taking 20 cans of beer (or whatever) is dishonest. It's an objective test - honesty is not an optional scale, with higher or lower values according to the moral standards of each individual. As Tobias-UK points out, this (i.e. the test to be applied when deciding whether something is dishonest) is determined based on binding legal precedent - originally Ghosh, now Ivey, as affirmed by the Court of Appeal (Criminal Division) in Barton and Booth. Just because an individual sees nothing dishonest in their behaviour doesn't mean that society objectively views it the same way.

For me I see nothing wrong in taking a bottle of water and a bag of crisps from the lounge. Ditto for a can of coke. Or a biscuit or two. Would I take a bottle of spirits with me? No. I would consider that to be stealing, and that it would be dishonest to do so. Decanting some whisky from a bottle into my hip flask? No, I think that's also dishonest and would be stealing. A can of Brewdog? I'd be ok with that. Twenty cans? Nope, absolutely not. Someone wrapping a bacon roll in a napkin to eat outside the lounge because they are pressed for time? That's fine by me too. The same person taking the entire tray of bacon rolls? Nope, that's stealing.

I could go on and on (a bit like this thread) but I won't. Hopefully most people would - more or less - have a similar moral compass.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I could go on and on (a bit like this thread) but I won't. Hopefully most people would - more or less - have a similar moral compass.
I generally agree, an amount for immediate personal consumption should be fine. Obviously 20 cans of beer exceeds that threshold, but one is reasonable for an onward flight/wait at the gate.
davem4, Geordie405 and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Some points from my recent trip:

EDI lounge if they have them will give you a takeaway cup to make your coffee in. Quite nice to have when you walk to the gate and on the plane.
Indeed. And most recently at EDI I had just grabbed a beer from the fridge when the flight was called and kindly asked someone that works in the lounge if she could move (so I could put it back). She said why not take it with you for the flight. Surely that's not stealing is it? In any case, I was flying to LCY so put it back and had one on the flight anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:44 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Sign number two from Subject2Load. 👏 Thanks for posting. I never fly from London Gatwick, preferring London Heathrow as it suits my route choices. I asked for signs from the BA CCR or First Lounge a while ago as I've never seen any there. I wonder if BA sticks these signs up selectively, depending on a perceived type of traveller using different bases? It's interesting that BA JER passengers are not "respectfully" requested to remove food and beverages. The JER signage is more "No taking the grub and booze away".

You do realise that you may have opened up a whole new argument on the meaning of "request". 😑
A sign isn’t necessary to meet the definition of theft. The Theft Act is a broad beast, the legal tests and definitions are as varied and as far reaching as the criminals the Act catches. The definition of ‘appropriates’ appears to have been lost in much of the debate here, but therein lies the catch and therein you will find why taking a can of Coke or a packet of crisps might not be an act of theft but taking 20 cans or a bottle of wine/whiskey might fall to become a criminal act. Deception is only part of the test, and ignorance (or the absence of a sign) is no defence.
BOH, PETER01, aks120 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
A sign isnt necessary to meet the definition of theft..
Sure. I don't remember making a legal argument around signs. I simply haven't seen one in any BA lounge I have used. I am waiting for someone to post one from the CCR and show me where it is. Or one from the LHR FLounge?

What is reasonable to most people interests me.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I've not been able to put my misappropriated China teacup of JW down since this thread started!
One poster has caused great laughter with his/her/its attitudes.
Even if he feels that she is in the right does she not know when to stop making a fool of himself?
You know who you are! Do you have a room in your house to store all that you have purloined over the last ..... days?
Remind me to ask if you are in the lounge before I decide to enter!
Now where's that crate of beer cans? Don't tell me I forgot to take it with me?
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
It is quite amazing that when someone points out that your arguments are phony, your only response is to accuse them of virtue signaling.
My experience is when someone uses "woke," "cancel culture," or "virtue signaling," they are losing the argument.
Prospero, SKT-DK, stifle and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 12:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Sure. I don't remember making a legal argument around signs. I simply haven't seen one in any BA lounge I have used. I am waiting for someone to post one from the CCR and show me where it is. Or one from the LHR FLounge?

What is reasonable to most people interests me.
The CCR is table service so the opportunity to commit theft is drastically reduced. On that point, there used to be a couple of bottles of unopened champagne placed near the entrance to the CCR, That has stopped because the LPGS was regularly stolen.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BOH
I agree. Having read the comments and responses to my having dared take a croissant and mini-can of coke from the lounge (UNOPENED), I have come up with a 5-point plan as follows:

1. I will take a teeny, tiny, smallest nibble on the end of any croissant - so it counts as something already being consumed (this is definitely not theft apparently).
2. Likewise with an apple, just a small nibble....maybe just my teeth marks to be really daring.
3. A packet of crisps....that's easy. I can pull the bag open, take one crisp out and fold the top of the bag over - the more folded the better so there can be no doubt.
4. A mini-can of coke is a bit of a dilemma though because it will go flat. So I'll pull the ring-pull up to juuuust before it would open, if I am stared at or challenged by the "disgusted from Tunbridge Wells" self-righteous, brigade I can try and bluff and say it is pretty much opened.
5. I will ensure I ask the Agent every single time whether this is OK as I leave each BA lounge. If nothing else, the sheer farce of me asking (nibbled croissant in hand) will brighten her day.....double bonus there.

I have thought long and hard about this and each step. But I can now hopefully get some sleep tonight after the insomnia of last night......being branded a thief etc.

Because after all, "theft is theft" according to our learned Steve in Olympia, Particularly on this scale, we must all take it VERY seriously
This is an excellent procedure. I would just add that you MUST make a separate request for each item and leave the lounge each time. (There is a grey area on whether you have to ask separately for each crisp but Ill let the legal experts chime in on this). Not a lot of people know this but failure to do so is one of the few offences that still carries the death penalty in the UK, along wits Arson in Royal Dockyards of course.
BOH likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:20 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Stormbel
I've not been able to put my misappropriated China teacup of JW down since this thread started!
One poster has caused great laughter with his/her/its attitudes.
Even if he feels that she is in the right does she not know when to stop making a fool of himself?
You know who you are! Do you have a room in your house to store all that you have purloined over the last ..... days?
Remind me to ask if you are in the lounge before I decide to enter!
Now where's that crate of beer cans? Don't tell me I forgot to take it with me?
Oh dear, well ain't that the truth!

You have ALL been made a fool of by not realising you have been part of one huge pi$$ take for the last 3 days, am amazed it has had to be pointed out. It has certainly provoked some very funny holier-than-thou and self righteous comments, It's been fun thought - I genuinely believe many on here will not even have picked up a parking ticket in their life either

I am reminded of the film, "12 Angry Men" with this thread for some strange reason.

If you are in the LGW lounge right now Stormbel, do keep your eye out for one pax nibbling the end of a croissant prior to taking a flight around 10:00. Do come and say "hello" and if you feel indignant, don't forget to remind me that "theft is theft"
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 1:26 am
BOH

Originally Posted by RichieMc
This is an excellent procedure. I would just add that you MUST make a separate request for each item and leave the lounge each time. (There is a grey area on whether you have to ask separately for each crisp but Ill let the legal experts chime in on this). Not a lot of people know this but failure to do so is one of the few offences that still carries the death penalty in the UK, along wits Arson in Royal Dockyards of course.
That's the spirit RichieMc. I'm sure the legal experts will be along soon to remind us all of the gravity of this offence.

I'm going to try this in the next hour and watch for the tut-tutting and self-righteous faces to see if there are any BA FT folk in the lounge as I do my walk of shame, I'll hold up my nibbled croissant as a trophy as I head for the exit and doff my cap to the BA agent as I ask permission. Sorted!
RichieMc likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.