Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Vgravity
I speak from a position of professional knowledge.
Oh must be true then
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Of course. Because that's exactly what you do isn't it?
I fly a lot of CE, so yes it is....
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by BOH
This is getting truly ridiculous now. This thread could be used as part of a case study to precisely define an example of Virtue Signaling.

So what would be your view if a pax starts eating a sandwich or packet of crisps in the lounge but then his flight is called and mid-way so heads to the gate? If unfinished, should the naughty pax leave any remnants just before he exits the lounge (leaving the food/drink at the last available free table). Or is he/she permitted to finish the crisps / can of coke etc already started whilst en-route to the gate? If not, at what point is this considered theft? is it the moment he is level with the Agents at the BA lounge entrance.....or when he puts one foot out of the BA lounge door into the public area of the airport?

Or in the black-and-white view of the holier-than-thou brigade, is this not considered theft because he/she already started the food/beverage whilst on BA premises?

It's a valid question....
No, in fact, it is not a valid question. It is a classic case of the fallacy of reductio ad absurdum. The principle of de minimus also applies. You will next be asking if a passenger may pick up a toothpick in the lounge, begin to use the toothpick in the lounge, and then continue to use the toothpick after leaving the lounge.

Get real. Asking if half-eaten food can be the object of a theft can not justify your conduct.

Theft is theft.
vanmunchen and dougzz like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have to agree with de minimis - There is clearly a threshold, which I agree is very grey, below which removing food or drink from the lounge is generally considered 'OK'. That threshold is different for everyone.

However, I suspect we can all agree that taking a full bottle of JW is not acceptable, and probably counts as theft too, as given the pourer you clearly know it's not for an individual to remove. Equally, we can probably all agree that if you've opened a bag of crisps, and your flight's called, it's OK to finish the remainder as you leave the lounge and walk to the gate.

Therefore the answer lies somewhere between a full bottle of whiskey and half a bag of crisps...
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:52 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by GabrielExea
I have to agree with de minimis - There is clearly a threshold, which I agree is very grey, below which removing food or drink from the lounge is generally considered 'OK'. That threshold is different for everyone.

However, I suspect we can all agree that taking a full bottle of JW is not acceptable, and probably counts as theft too, as given the pourer you clearly know it's not for an individual to remove. Equally, we can probably all agree that if you've opened a bag of crisps, and your flight's called, it's OK to finish the remainder as you leave the lounge and walk to the gate.

Therefore the answer lies somewhere between a full bottle of whiskey and half a bag of crisps...
Amen to that. In between black-and-white is grey. This issue is clearly neither black or white and for any poster to be suggesting it is is just ludicrous.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 9:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
No, in fact, it is not a valid question. It is a classic case of the fallacy of reductio ad absurdum. The principle of de minimus also applies. You will next be asking if a passenger may pick up a toothpick in the lounge, begin to use the toothpick in the lounge, and then continue to use the toothpick after leaving the lounge.

Get real. Asking if half-eaten food can be the object of a theft can not justify your conduct.

Theft is theft.
Virtue Signaling

"The sharing of one's point of view on a moral, social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of one’s righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not"

We've got a whole new textbook on the subject in this thread I think
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Virtue Signaling

"The sharing of one's point of view on a moral, social or political issue, often on social media, in order to garner praise or acknowledgment of ones righteousness from others who share that point of view, or to passively rebuke those who do not"

We've got a whole new textbook on the subject in this thread I think
It is quite amazing that when someone points out that your arguments are phony, your only response is to accuse them of virtue signaling.
dougzz and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by subject2load

Am conscious this will do little to bring any definitive consensus amongst differing perspectives, but here goes FWIW. Apologies for dreadful photo quality for sake of clarity the wording is

We respectfully request that items of food and beverage are not removed from the lounge

Sign number two from Subject2Load. 👏 Thanks for posting. I never fly from London Gatwick, preferring London Heathrow as it suits my route choices. I asked for signs from the BA CCR or First Lounge a while ago as I've never seen any there. I wonder if BA sticks these signs up selectively, depending on a perceived type of traveller using different bases? It's interesting that BA JER passengers are not "respectfully" requested to remove food and beverages. The JER signage is more "No taking the grub and booze away".

You do realise that you may have opened up a whole new argument on the meaning of "request". 😑
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:16 am

Some points from my recent trip:

EDI lounge if they have them will give you a takeaway cup to make your coffee in. Quite nice to have when you walk to the gate and on the plane.

Alaska Lounge LAX has a Barista who will make your coffee to go too.

Early morning Hot beverages x 1 to go I think are perfectly acceptable.

I will also take a can or 2 of soft drink from the lounge in a late afternoon or evening if there's going to be a wait before departing. On a short connection at LHR last week had a quick dash into the lounge for a can of coke only as I had 10 minutes to the flight boarding.

I don't consider any of the above as theft per se, in the case of the coffee they were served in a to go format anyway.

I would draw the line at alcohol though as is it not against the rules to consume your own alcohol on board the plane. Not that it stops some granted.

I did once see a lounge user who knew the staff at GLA amass quite the carryout in their bag whilst in conversation with said staff member.

Is it also not quite common for teabags to be stocked up on from the lounges too for when people are going to the states etc.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Is it also not quite common for teabags to be stocked up on from the lounges too for when people are going to the states etc.
Yes, it is a well-known fact that there are no tea bags in the United States. They were all thrown into Boston harbor in 1773, and we are still waiting for another shipment.
BOH, BERGBRLY, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:48 am

CW Novice's post reminded me that the swimming pool and gym I use provide complimentary tea/coffee/juice, snacks and water. There are no stop signs, and people openly take water, a coffee or an apple as they leave. There has been a lot of focus on 'tacky takers' on this thread and little on how 🚫 signs look or degrade what should be a premium experience. British Airways has always seemed to get the balance right on this, as I've never been aware of a sign in the lounges I use most.

I don't travel in cabins without food and drink options, yet I fully understand the frustration of fellow travellers encountering problems. Policing others seems like the start of a slippery slope downward. What next? Count how many drinks the people at the next table are having? Report those going over their daily calorie count on the menus? Monitor those taking four times as many drinks on the plane? This is a fun thread, as it has elicited a range of passionate opinions between taking nothing and taking only an exact pound of flesh.
FlightDetective and crazy8534 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
.... Report those going over their daily calorie count on the menus?...
You've cracked it- that's why they started printing the kCal on the CCR menu....!!
**shakes fist at BA**
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
You've cracked it- that's why they started printing the kCal on the CCR menu....!!
**shakes fist at BA**
I KNEW it! 👊🏻
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Yes, it is a well-known fact that there are no tea bags in the United States. They were all thrown into Boston harbor in 1773, and we are still waiting for another shipment.
What passes for tea in the USA is dire. Also, in many places what they call "hot tea" simply isn't available in a restaurant. Same goes for HP Sauce. They have no idea what it is.
squeeler likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by AnaTravel
Sign number two from Subject2Load. 👏 Thanks for posting. I never fly from London Gatwick, preferring London Heathrow as it suits my route choices. I asked for signs from the BA CCR or First Lounge a while ago as I've never seen any there. I wonder if BA sticks these signs up selectively, depending on a perceived type of traveller using different bases? It's interesting that BA JER passengers are not "respectfully" requested to remove food and beverages. The JER signage is more "No taking the grub and booze away".

You do realise that you may have opened up a whole new argument on the meaning of "request". 😑
In fairness the JER sign was from a few year ago when it was just BA, before the Lounge went 'global users'.

Now who is this Mr. J W Blue that everyone keeps mentioning?
AnaTravel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.