Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:37 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Not sure that is true, got any thing to back that up?
Yes, the dishonestly is part of the theft definition.
stifle likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
Theft is defined bysection 1 TA 1968 as dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it. Sections 2 6 TA 1968 provide further interpretation of these elements.

"Dishonestly"

Section 2 TA 1968 specifies that appropriation is not dishonest if the person doing it believes that
  • They have a legal right to take the property; or
  • The owner would agree to their taking it if they knew about it; or
  • They could not find the person to whom the property belongs by taking reasonable steps. (Does not apply to people who came by the property as trustees or personal representatives.
  • https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...t-act-offences
stifle and ermis177 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:59 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vgravity
They are. Brewdog need the relationship a lot more than BA do.
i am sorry but I dont buy it. I very much doubt any increase in sales of brewdog comes close to the cost of the tens of thousands of units supplied by brewdog to BA over the last few years. I doubt they have been given to BA for free.

Temporary limited promotions I can understand (like when we see stands in the lounge promoting some kind of new gin etc.) but supply across the network and in the air over several years for free is not really believable.
wrp96 and PGberkshire like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:38 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KARFA
i am sorry but I dont buy it. I very much doubt any increase in sales of brewdog comes close to the cost of the tens of thousands of units supplied by brewdog to BA over the last few years. I doubt they have been given to BA for free.

Temporary limited promotions I can understand (like when we see stands in the lounge promoting some kind of new gin etc.) but supply across the network and in the air over several years for free is not really believable.
Agree - the presumption that the items available in lounges are given to BA for free is simply too outrageous. I am sure there are some favourable trading terms between the parties (BA getting favourable deals in exchange for effectively giving suppliers advertising space), but not for free.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
But why? According to the website i will be able to buy products 'gourmet range by Michelin-starred chef' but at least in 30% of my flights the options are some haribos. Its not my fault if BA cannot get their act together
Exactly this ^^^^

The amount of "holier-than-thou" comments in this thread has grown to quite epic proportions now
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
ah, we seem to have gone now for the ba doesnt cater flights well enough so I am entitled to self cater from the lounge excuse

I thought no excuse was needed since it isnt a problem to take stuff to start with?
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
ah, we seem to have gone now for the ba doesnt cater flights well enough so I am entitled to self cater from the lounge excuse
Maybe next we will hear that since T5 is the home of BA, people are also allowed to steal stuff from any outlet in the terminal because BA does not cater Y well enough..
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
Of course. Because that's exactly what you do isn't it?
You really cant accept not everyone behaves the same? I dont understand why others having a different attitude and behaviour to you is so hard for you to believe.

Originally Posted by BOH
Exactly this ^^^^

The amount of "holier-than-thou" comments in this thread has grown to quite epic proportions now
Again holier than thou, so I assume virtue signalling and self-righteous are in the way. These silly throwaway phrases dont offer any rebuttal of the points people make.

In the classic Talladega Nights Ricky Bobby believes that by leading with with all due respect he can say anything and be excused, your use of emojis reminds me of that.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:12 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
ah, we seem to have gone now for the “ba doesn’t cater flights well enough so I am entitled to self cater from the lounge” excuse

I thought no excuse was needed since it isn’t a problem to take stuff to start with?
This is getting truly ridiculous now. This thread could be used as part of a case study to precisely define an example of Virtue Signaling.

So what would be your view if a pax starts eating a sandwich or packet of crisps in the lounge but then his flight is called and mid-way so heads to the gate? If unfinished, should the naughty pax leave any remnants just before he exits the lounge (leaving the food/drink at the last available free table). Or is he/she permitted to finish the crisps / can of coke etc already started whilst en-route to the gate? If not, at what point is this considered theft? is it the moment he is level with the Agents at the BA lounge entrance.....or when he puts one foot out of the BA lounge door into the public area of the airport?

Or in the black-and-white view of the holier-than-thou brigade, is this not considered theft because he/she already started the food/beverage whilst on BA premises?

It's a valid question....
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
This thread is titled "acceptable amount to STEAL from the lounge"

If the debate is whether it is actually stealing or rather taking to consume on the flight or onward journey, then surely having Steal in the title is wrong.

As for people trolling for a response, with comments about stealing from the franchises in T5, removing cutlery and glasses, this is purely getting ridiculous.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Ed_fly
Theft is defined bysection 1 TA 1968 as dishonestly appropriating property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it. Sections 2 6 TA 1968 provide further interpretation of these elements.

"Dishonestly"

Section 2 TA 1968 specifies that appropriation is not dishonest if the person doing it believes that
  • They have a legal right to take the property; or
  • The owner would agree to their taking it if they knew about it; or
  • They could not find the person to whom the property belongs by taking reasonable steps. (Does not apply to people who came by the property as trustees or personal representatives.
  • https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...t-act-offences
Meanwhile.... when all those against theft of lounge fayre have been getting their houses neatly in a row, all those who don't appear to have an issue pilfering muffins and swiping cans of coke and/or beer for consumption elsewhere have been merrily doing so.

Regardless to the rights or wrongs from our perspective, BA seem not think its worth pursuing or policing further. Otherwise we'd see beer and soft drinks on tap as opposed to self serve cans..... just like they've done with with packets of biscuits .... which are now tonged individually from a large jar and dolloping ketchup and brown sauce from a bowl as opposed to from an individual sachet.

If BA aren't overly concerned with the amounts of F&B disappearing from their lounges I find it very odd behaviour why some here think it their business to get involved and making it theirs.

Am I also stealing if I choose to put the dinky little bottle or water and mini packet of crisps given to me when traveling BA Short haul in Y into my bag for consumption after the flight? Am I to expect the police to be meeting me on arrival at my destination and rugby tackling me on the jetty to bundle me off into a custody suite?

PS - I STOLE 2 cans of coke from the LGW Flounge the other week to consume on a IBX flight in Y to Madrid.... awaiting my citizens arrest and/or subpoena for court appearance from the FT Jury.

Life isn't black and white, it's the grey in between.

PERSPECTIVE PEOPLE!!!!!

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Oct 12, 2022 at 3:53 am
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
May be wrong but I think the only official notice we’ve seen so far is that posted by T8191 a few days ago (from JER), and so I thought another example, snapped during a recent session at the LGW F lounge, might be worth a look.

Am conscious this will do little to bring any definitive consensus amongst differing perspectives, but here goes FWIW. Apologies for dreadful photo quality …… for sake of clarity the wording is

We respectfully request that items of food and beverage are not removed from the lounge”

Stormbel, T8191 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:19 am

Programs: BAEC
Photo is perfectly clear. Thank you.
As for those who are determined to justify their actions by saying “1000% you do it too” with loads of emojis to remove the sting, then I’m afraid they just don’t know me or many others on here or our upbringing which would have absolutely decreed this to be unacceptable. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative but it’s the truth, no holier than thou or virtue signalling involved.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It is indeed, and the definition of dishonesty under the Theft Act must be interpreted in the context of binding president, in particular the test found in Ivey. Some examples posted in this topic are not considered theft under that test, however removing 20 cans of beer, well that is far more likely to find the appropriator in legal (criminal) jeopardy.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold

A further thread drift but on the above comment,

I have worked within the FMCG industry all of my career and have various branded experience of dealing with / selling to airlines. Specific to BA there was certainly an organisation that was comfortable offering the units to BA for "free" (core cost of goods produced, not including supply costs).
The company in question had several sub but linked brands and the supply to BA was effectively considered a "marketing sale" given the products offered were widely visible across lounges / on-board.

It's not common to offer "free" product to airlines directly but within F&B the % margins are on the whole razor thin.
It's a volume game and therefore a cash decision mostly. (Airlines can also be a useful outlet for short dated stocks simply due to the speed/volume shifted)
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.