Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:45 am
  #481  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 8,688
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Do you bring your own Tupperware too or just wrap it in kitchen foil?
Am so pleased you asked. Usually either a Lidl or Wilko carrier bag works best. Too much kitchen foil sets off the metal detectors.
ermis177 likes this.
BOH is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:53 am
  #482  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,341
Originally Posted by BOH
....and the financial loss to BA of someone taking a packet of crisps, can of coke, sandwich etc from the lounge is how much?
I have stayed out of this thread on purpose the last few days but my resolve has crumbled. In response to this may I just ask if theft is ok as long as the value is low? And if so, how low is acceptable?
Steve in Olympia and KARFA like this.
golfmad is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:54 am
  #483  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,332
Originally Posted by BOH
.....not forgetting the ex-EU fiddle of purchasing a J/F ticket at a vastly reduced cost by deliberately switching your originating airport to out of the UK. And then completing the fiddle by not taking the final leg at the end back to the airport the journey started from. I recall this is against the BA T&Cs of sale.

This ex-EU fiddle is widely condoned on this board whilst consuming a small item of food or drink outside of a BA lounge is considered by many to be the crime of the century. C'est la vie
No Dear - that is quite different. Some of us that take advantage of these ex-Euro fares and obey the rules. I think - although I may be wrong here - that people do not condone, they always say "beware doing that too often". Revenue can catch you and you may have your account closed. Beware. Now to me the ex-Euro thing is not any kind of fiddle as they sell the fare to the general public. What might happen one day is that they see that you are starting from the UK and say that you are coss-border ticketing. It happened years ago. People were buying tickets from Britain as the fares were so much cheaper - than in Switzerland or Frankfurt. People were getting back to Zurich and throwing the last piece of the paper ticket in the bin. I think that these days there is no excuse for not going to the furthest point as it all earns Avios and Points.

It is very easy to be glib and say that going to the Lounge and taking stuff to consume elsewhere is cheapskate and tacky. Let us also be most clear, most people don't. I am certain that laying it out would have gone if there was stuff vanishing in any great quantity. Would I say anything? No. Why? Because their conduct is, thank God, no concern of mine.

When I think about it - the title of this thread would make an interesting topic for an A level General Studies essay

"Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge - Discuss"
dnajockey, Discovery Bay and KARFA like this.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:02 am
  #484  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 8,688
Originally Posted by golfmad
I have stayed out of this thread on purpose the last few days but my resolve has crumbled. In response to this may I just ask if theft is ok as long as the value is low? And if so, how low is acceptable?
Then maybe you need to read a bit more of this thread and catch up?

How is it theft if a Lounge Agent was specifically asked if it was OK to (on more than one occasion) and instantly replied that it was. How was it theft if BA were actively encouraging pax to take items if they wanted to from the lounge when BoB was suspended?

Where do you stand on ex-EU fiddles of depriving BA of revenue (often thousands of pounds). Its specifically against their T&Cs.
BOH is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:09 am
  #485  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
Aha, I see I need to get my whataboutery bingo card out now.

I think the levels of self justification have reached new lows when apparently booking an exEU fare is somehow seem as "a fiddle"
SKT-DK, aks120, stifle and 7 others like this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:29 am
  #486  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 8,688
Originally Posted by KARFA
Aha, I see I need to get my whataboutery bingo card out now.

I think the levels of self justification have reached new lows when apparently booking an exEU fare is somehow seem as "a fiddle"
Well an eminent poster has just reminded us all that if you were caught by BA repeatedly not taking the last leg you ran the risk of your Account being suspended. Now why would BA even think about doing this if the pax was not doing something specifically against the T&Cs.

Its an out-and-out fiddle designed to deprive BA of revenue. Its only legit if you comply with the whole itinerary and fly the last leg. i recall multiple posts on BA FT in the past by worried pax..What happens if I dont fly the last leg - all a premeditated attempt to go against the BA T&Cs and fiddle a cheaper ticket.
BOH is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:39 am
  #487  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
Originally Posted by BOH
Well an eminent poster has just reminded us all that if you were caught by BA repeatedly not taking the last leg you ran the risk of your Account being suspended. Now why would BA even think about doing this if the pax was not doing something specifically against the T&Cs.

It’s an out-and-out fiddle designed to deprive BA of revenue. It’s only legit if you comply with the whole itinerary and fly the last leg.
Yes you did try and make that comparison in post #469. Not sure why it is relevant to your argument tbh, unless you are suggesting because other people do something wrong it means you can too?

We seem to have wondered quite far from your "medical needs" defence
Stormbel and PGberkshire like this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:49 am
  #488  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Anglia UK
Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Posts: 1,632
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes you did try and make that comparison in post #469. Not sure why it is relevant to your argument tbh, unless you are suggesting because other people do something wrong it means you can too?

We seem to have wondered quite far from your "medical needs" defence
It's probably relevant because the comparison is between two actions both of which seem to deprive the company of revenue, either by suggested misuse of lounge facilities or by stepping around Ts &Cs. I personally don't find taking food out of the lounge in my hand wrong any more than if the same amount is in my stomach, but like others here I'll abide by the term reasonable. I deem it to be a case of manners not theft.
KARFA likes this.
lloydah is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:52 am
  #489  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
Originally Posted by lloydah
It's probably relevant because the comparison is between two actions both of which seem to deprive the company of revenue, either by suggested misuse of lounge facilities or by stepping around Ts &Cs. I personally don't find taking food out of the lounge in my hand wrong any more than if the same amount is in my stomach, but like others here I'll abide by the term reasonable. I deem it to be a case of manners not theft.
yes but I dont get it, is BOH now arguing taking stuff from lounges is wrong because it deprives BA of revenue? I thought they were pro taking stuff?

I thought the argument was there is nothing wrong in taking as much as you want with regard to the law or BA t&cs?
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:01 am
  #490  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 94
I am really surprised everyone keeps going with theft here - To be clear, it cannot be theft if you have a reasonable belief that what you're doing is allowed. If you've asked a lounge staff member, or not seen a sign, it is literally not legally theft according to the definition.

Therefore, it's at most a terms and conditions breach, which is the same as not taking your last leg, the same as not transferring a gig or theatre ticket to a friend, the same as using a toilet in a pub in which you've not bought a beverage, the same as not reporting a very minor accident to your vehicle insurer, etc, etc, etc. I am sure everyone is about to say they've never done any of these things, but I'm afraid I don't believe you. You will all at some point have knowingly or unknowingly breached terms and conditions to which you've previously agreed.

Morally taking a packet of crisps from the lounge, rather than hurriedly posting it in your face, is fine. It is tiresome to pretend that everyone is so perfect as to cast judgment over a minor terms and conditions breach, one of which is, let's be honest, not well publicized.
dcmike, BOH, ermis177 and 1 others like this.
GabrielExea is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:25 am
  #491  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Oregon
Programs: AA, UA
Posts: 117
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I guess a question to ponder would be that if you had, say, three of you in the lounge, I presume it would be OK to take an entire bottle of wine and three glasses to share. And then having gone through some of that wine, if you didn't drink it all, would be it OK to take the remains with you? Or decant it into a water bottle and take it?
Wouldn't local alcohol laws prevent someone from removing alcohol from a club and consuming it "in public"?

Last edited by Peter Snijder; Oct 11, 2022 at 8:09 am
Peter Snijder is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:31 am
  #492  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: JER
Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Posts: 32,200
which is, let's be honest, not well publicized.

And theres the rub. Im sure BA would deem it a bit tasteless to have signs all over the Lounges saying Dont steal our food, drink, cutlery, glassware or crockery. One surely relies on common decency not to act in that manner. However, as noted here and elsewhere, decency is not common.

I just cant imagine myself being in a scenario where I would consider pilfering, although I do confess that the idea of genuinely enhancing the CW cheese bowl has some appeal! 😎
T8191 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:37 am
  #493  
BOH
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: UK
Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Posts: 8,688
Originally Posted by Dicksbits
Do you bring your own Tupperware too or just wrap it in kitchen foil?
Which of those do you choose? Happy to compare notes with you as you are such an obvious partner-in-crime on the matter.
BOH is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:43 am
  #494  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TPA/ABZ
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Posts: 13,341
Originally Posted by BOH
Then maybe you need to read a bit more of this thread and catch up?
No thanks. There's only so much pain I can take in any given 24 hour period.

Originally Posted by BOH
How is it theft if a Lounge Agent was specifically asked if it was OK to (on more than one occasion) and instantly replied that it was. How was it theft if BA were actively encouraging pax to take items if they wanted to from the lounge when BoB was suspended?
You said that the financial loss of a packet of crisps was far less than the financial loss of people dropping sectors. I was just wondering whether you thought it was acceptable at the lower end of the scale?

Originally Posted by BOH
Where do you stand on ex-EU fiddles of depriving BA of revenue (often thousands of pounds). Its specifically against their T&Cs.
If you were to scour my contributions on FT you will not find a single post from me advocating that. Not one. That's because I don't approve of it. I have always flown all sectors on my tickets apart from where IRROPS are in play. I do fly reverse ex-EUs which are publicly available tickets. I have no problem with that just like I have no problem applying coupon codes when issued by suppliers and I have no problem using tax accountants to ensure I pay the lowest amount of tax I am legally obliged to pay.
golfmad is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2022, 10:49 am
  #495  
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LON
Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,225
FT at its best! I am on an AA flight from T3 this week, and plan to break a few FT rules. I will head to BA lounges (not in line with FT recommendations - see other thread on T3 lounge surfing) as they serve kippers; also I enjoy the runway views. I may also engage in some 'Pirates of Penzance' behaviour. (You cannot get Brewdog in the US as far as I know.) I will follow the sage advice not to go to the Admirals Club, so I hope I can claim some redemption.
squeeler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.