Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:53 am

Meanwhile over in Madrid at the Iberia Lounges you have the main event buffet with hot and cold options and accompanying crockery and cutlery as well as fridges with prepacked salads with plastic cutlery and packed sandwiches.... not to mention individual 330ml bottles of still and sparkling water which people seemed happy to take with them. Some people of this forum would be having a heart attack at what goes on!
I didn't notice any namby pamby signs passively enforcing civil/moral laws either.
​​​​
IAN-UK, skiaplg, kurto1 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
I regularly will take a couple of mini-cans of diet coke and a packet of crisps for the flight from the lounge. If it's an early flight I will also take a croissant to have later on the plane, simply because having breakfast at 06:30 is way too early for me.

To me it is taking food that I am entitled to have due to having lounge access - but consuming it at a time that better suits me.
You were entitled to eat in the lounge, once you took food from the lounge you were simply doing what suited you with no regard for what the lounge offering/rules were. Just more of the Im an exception behaviour.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
You were entitled to eat in the lounge, once you took food from the lounge you were simply doing what suited you with no regard for what the lounge offering/rules were. Just more of the Im an exception behaviour.
No, I am diabetic and it helps to eat at regular times for glucose stability. Are you suggesting I should (for example) sit in the lounge surrounded by food and drink and consume nothing, then buy something from Pret or Starbucks on the way to the gate to consume on the plane? For all your moralising / holier-than-thou / virtue signalling response I do not believe for one second you would not do the exact same
Old Oct 10, 2022, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Meanwhile over in Madrid at the Iberia Lounges you have the main event buffet with hot and cold options and accompanying crockery and cutlery as well as fridges with prepacked salads with plastic cutlery and packed sandwiches.... not to mention individual 330ml bottles of still and sparkling water which people seemed happy to take with them. Some people of this forum would be having a heart attack at what goes on!
I didn't notice any namby pamby signs passively enforcing civil/moral laws either.
​​​​
Bugger the 330ml bottles of water, they used to have very handy splits of cava …...
1Aturnleft and mikeyfly like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by BOH
No, I am diabetic and it helps to eat at regular times for glucose stability. Are you suggesting I should (for example) sit in the lounge surrounded by food and drink and consume nothing, then buy something from Pret or Starbucks on the way to the gate to consume on the plane? For all your moralising / holier-than-thou / virtue signalling response I do not believe for one second you would not do the exact same
I too am diabetic, not that it has any relevance. I made no suggestion of any of the things you suggest. The idea that the lounge needs to provide for you when you need it is you simply setting the bar where it suits you. The food and drink is provided for consumption in the lounge. Youve initially suggested you have an entitlement to a certain amount, and a right to take it and consume when you wish outside of the lounge. I think you can see thats debunked and thus play the medical card. I dont see how you can believe that somehow BA have to provide your food needs for outside the lounge, rather than buy what you need in a shop.

You may believe what you wish in regard my own ethics, but you dont know me and youre simply trying to justify your own dubious behaviour.
passy777 and Steve in Olympia like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I seem to recall that in one of the many rounds of enhancement of the onboard catering, status passengers were actively encouraged to take bits and bobs from the lounge in lieu of what they would no longer get during the flight!

As for theft... no, unless you've been told not to take stuff from the lounge, the legal position is fairly clear, it's on offer and there for the taking. Loading bags with cans and crisps is not a sign of theft, it's a sign of lack of class, which here in Britain is punished only by stares and tutting.
1Aturnleft, skiaplg, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
So, may I fill my water bottle with the water from the lounge, or also that could be considered theft?
trolleymusic and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
. Loading bags with cans and crisps is not a sign of theft, it's a sign of lack of class, which here in Britain is punished only by stares and tutting.
Except that it can actually go a good deal further than only stares and tutting when lounge operators are minded to seek police assistance.

The circumstances related by FT-er Stormbel upthread (#406) resulted in arrest, conviction, and in the offender losing his job. Belfast was the lounge location involved (so, UK rather than Britain, to be specific) and the item removed was a full bottle of whisky.

I happen to believe that the same staff would have a) taken the very same action if - instead of whisky - the guy had stashed away 20+ cans of beer as witnessed by Lucanesque, in the post which revived this thread, and b) would have taken no action if just a single can and packet of crisps were involved. But that is pure speculation on my part and I obviously cannot know for sure either way.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, easyJet Plus, YHA platinum, Amex Centurion, Peugeot owners club, Stagecoach gold rider
I had the "Pleasure" of sitting in front of a proud pilferer to AMS a few weeks ago.

Once her seat mate arrived and got comfortable she asked that he get up so she could fetch some snacks from her bag. she proclaimed to the chap BA allow her in the business class lounge before any BA flight the she flies. she got up and retrieved numerous bags of crisps and water and loudly proclaimed to the gent next to her "These are from the Business Lounge". Anyway once the on-board service began and the crew handed out crisps and water the pilferer refused because she had already sampled some crisps and water, from... you guessed it. The Business Lounge.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:29 am

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. I took a couple biscuits (a bourbon and a custard cream) from the Club B gates lounge a few weeks back.

They were a lot tastier than the croissant thing served for the second meal.
BOH and Fatdickie like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, EI, VS
Originally Posted by T8191
Never mind the beer, crisps, coke, etc etc. Seems like someone in JER wanted the sign itself if you look at the fixing points top right and bottom left. Sign thieves! Or maybe they wanted to remove the guidance so they could fill up on rations "not knowing it wasn't allowed". Maybe a new thread is required around theft of fixed assets from BA rather than consumables
Old Oct 10, 2022, 8:53 am
BOH

I too am diabetic, not that it has any relevance. I made no suggestion of any of the things you suggest. The idea that the lounge needs to provide for you when you need it is you simply setting the bar where it suits you. The food and drink is provided for consumption in the lounge. You’ve initially suggested you have an entitlement to a certain amount, and a right to take it and consume when you wish outside of the lounge. I think you can see that’s debunked and thus play the medical card. I don’t see how you can believe that somehow BA have to provide your food needs for outside the lounge, rather than buy what you need in a shop.

You may believe what you wish in regard my own ethics, but you don’t know me and you’re simply trying to justify your own dubious behaviour.
So again, are you suggesting that having consumed NO items in the lounge (which I am perfectly entitled to do) your expectation is for me after I leave, to buy the exact same items 2 minutes later from Starbucks / Pret.....en-route to the gate ? And your amusing, holier-than-thou approach means that you would do just this??......yeah of course you would

Honestly, the self-righteousness and virtue signaling of some in this thread borders on the outright ridiculous
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
So again, are you suggesting that having consumed NO items in the lounge (which I am perfectly entitled to do) your expectation is for me after I leave, to buy the exact same items 2 minutes later from Starbucks / Pret.....en-route to the gate ?
If you choose not to eat or drink in the lounge then, yes, I think the appropriate course of action is to pick something up at Pret on the way to the gate. Taking things from the lounge is just a bit sad.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by BOH
So again, are you suggesting that having consumed NO items in the lounge (which I am perfectly entitled to do) your expectation is for me after I leave, to buy the exact same items 2 minutes later from Starbucks / Pret.....en-route to the gate ? And your amusing, holier-than-thou approach means that you would do just this??......yeah of course you would

Honestly, the self-righteousness and virtue signaling of some in this thread borders on the outright ridiculous
Again you've projected your own values onto me. I guess we're just very different people. Do you really believe that everyone mirrors your behaviour. The thread is full of people that have said they find taking items from the lounge sits somewhere between classless and outright theft. Do you really have that much trouble believing that someone would choose not to take from the lounge?

You seem to assume that a lounge visit entitles you to x amount of food and drink, and that it can be removed and consumed as you wish. But the lounge rules are clear that items are for consumption in the lounge. Your point seems to remain that you're some sort of exception and the rule doesn't apply to you.
vanmunchen and passy777 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:38 am
BOH

Again you've projected your own values onto me. I guess we're just very different people. Do you really believe that everyone mirrors your behaviour. The thread is full of people that have said they find taking items from the lounge sits somewhere between classless and outright theft. Do you really have that much trouble believing that someone would choose not to take from the lounge?
Yes. 1000% that you would do the exact same thing

You seem to assume that a lounge visit entitles you to x amount of food and drink, and that it can be removed and consumed as you wish. But the lounge rules are clear that items are for consumption in the lounge. Your point seems to remain that you're some sort of exception and the rule doesn't apply to you.
Like I said, the self-righteousness and virtue signaling of some on here borders on outright ridiculous
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.