Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:12 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I regularly will take a couple of mini-cans of diet coke and a packet of crisps for the flight from the lounge. If it's an early flight I will also take a croissant to have later on the plane, simply because having breakfast at 06:30 is way too early for me.

To me it is taking food that I am entitled to have due to having lounge access - but consuming it at a time that better suits me.
offtothehills and ermis177 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
SKT-DK, PETER01, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Is that JER T8191 ? These threads are always amusing and a little heated sometimes. To my mind the answer to the OP is “none” and would never do so / have never done so. But I can see the grey areas and then we have to get into common sense and proportionality which does seem lacking often. So just a flat no really is where I see it landing.
I’m not moved by arguments about waste; to my mind that belongs to my mother’s generation who were subject to rationing and had a horror of anything left on one’s plate. Today I hope we mostly take what we need. It’s wrong to waste food but also wrong to consume it for the sake of it because otherwise it would be wasted.
Sorry, that last bit got a little more serious than I intended 😉
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by JessicaB
I guess a question to ponder would be that if you had, say, three of you in the lounge, I presume it would be OK to take an entire bottle of wine and three glasses to share. And then having gone through some of that wine, if you didn't drink it all, would be it OK to take the remains with you? Or decant it into a water bottle and take it?
Why not just leave the bottle on the counter and serve yourselves from there?

Is it really so labour intensive to get off your backsides and just fill your glasses when you need them from the counter?

That would also eliminate the quandary of what to do with any wine that isn't consumed from the said removed bottle as it would then be available for other guests in the lounge.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Seriously do you need a few beers, a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches for a 2 hour flight? I'm surprised you can get your bum into an economy seat.
Seriously do you need a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches before a 2 hour flight?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AJA_
Maybe that's as a result of the person who helped themselves to the 20 cans of beer as detailed up thread?
I have seen signs in lounges over the years - nothing new about it
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surely it also depends if you have used the item before you steal it. I'm thinking that if I pick up some crisps or some biscuits, or even put a sandwich on my plate, take it to a table in the lounge and then don't use it, it is almost certainly going to be thrown away. Even a full unopened packet of crisps that someone has taken to a table won't be returned by the cleaning staff will it? Certainly not left-over food. So by taking it away you are reducing waste. That's very different to going up to the counter and picking up a bottle of whisky as you leave.
Sooo... therefore,,, take a bottle of whisky to the table and then it is ok to walk off with it later unlike taking it from the counter on leaving

It is amazing the way people will try to justify that their level of theft is ok but someone elses is not

If it is not theft, then quantity doesnt matter
If it is theft, quantty doesnt matter
dougzz likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:52 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Seriously do you need a few beers, a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches for a 2 hour flight? I'm surprised you can get your bum into an economy seat.
Oh dear..... pretty judgemental!
BlueThroughCrimp and ermis177 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I have seen signs in lounges over the years - nothing new about it
Maybe someone's taken them for later?
Stormbel likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
I think that the poster JessicaB clearly meant was three people in the lounge, take a bottle of wine and 3 glasses back to their table.
​​​​​​
Drink 90% of the wine and decant the remaining wine into an empty water bottle to finish on the flight. .
Nothing about stealing glassware from the lounge.
While I find it difficult to get excited about someone taking a can of beer, packet of crisps, etc - once you start talk about 'decanting' that's theft IMO.
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
Is that JER T8191 ? ....
Yes, well spotted!
Not sure it's there now, as the Lounge is multi-user.
I'm sure there's a sign in the LGW FLounge on the wall by the Spirit bottles.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:14 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
Seriously do you need a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches before a 2 hour flight?
will it be a 2 hours flight or it will end up 3,4 with some delays? What about a 4 or 5 hours flight to Athens, Larnaca or Cairo? Oh wait. You will tell me to buy on board right? I just scanned the QR code and they have haribos and Cambrook chilly corn
DaveNCL likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Ladyfliestheredwhiteandblues
These threads are always amusing and a little heated sometimes. ..
The ethical gymnastics are fascinating, as is the intensity of emotion the subject generates. But while justifying why my can of coke and a croissant is OK, yet your choice of plunder is beyond the pale, can be amusing, more worrying is the suggestion that intervention from other lounge users is warranted or at all desirable.

Of course this online reaction to perceived dishonesty is likely froth and bluster. Still, I'm not sure where the notion comes from that as guests of British Airways we are entitled or expected to police the foraging activities of fellow guests.

Sure, I expect a seat-hogger to move his possessions if I need to sit down, and I share the irritation at having to move to get away from FaceTimers: but while the need of folk in the First lounge to put cans of beer in a back-pack* is puzzling, I'll leave it to BA and its lounge managers to worry about it.

* or cheese in "security" bag - yes i saw you, lady with the LV luggage
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by sl1ppy
While I find it difficult to get excited about someone taking a can of beer, packet of crisps, etc - once you start talk about 'decanting' that's theft IMO.
Yep
I'm sure there was a post a while ago about someone in one of the lounges, decanting JW blue into a water bottle
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by ermis177
will it be a 2 hours flight or it will end up 3,4 with some delays? What about a 4 or 5 hours flight to Athens, Larnaca or Cairo?
Oh wait. You will tell me to buy on board right?
No, I won't.
I was using JessicaB's answer back at them. I wasn't telling you anything, as I didn't quote you.
offtothehills likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.