Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
I was in the ex-ba now Aspire lounge in Belfast on Friday and the staff were having a conversation that I overheard, only as I was walking past, on our very subject. Later, chatting to one of them, he told me of a recent incident where they spotted a business man with his boss. The boss walked to the doors when the flight was called and the other stopped to lift a full bottle of whisky and put it in his bag. The security were called and then the police. He was arrested for stealing, convicted and lost his job.
I fill up my water bottle and, if I have a packet of crisps on my plate that I haven't eaten, sometimes I put that in my bag. To me it's the intent as much as the act.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
It's not really taking it out of proportion if it's a real world example posted today which I am asking your view upon

So as far as you are concerned, regardless of the amount taken it isn't a question of theft and only one of etiquette?

And where do you draw the line in your etiquette scale? Of course what you take is fine according to your self defined standard, but what point would be over the line in your view?
No KARFA, the taking it out of proportion is the questions you're asking and trying to manipulate my words into a big deal because you misunderstood them. So I'll answer your questions here and then leave it at that.

No, your question is phrased deceptively. Assuming it's not an issue of theft then it is an issue of etiquette. I said assumin it's not theft because AFAIK it is not. A previous poster mentioned there are signs prohibiting taking food out of the lounge. As of yet I have not seen these signs. If I do then as I already said I take back my points as it is clearly theft. All my points are based on the assumption it's not theft. If it turns out to actually be prohibited then obviously theft in any amount is not ok. I'm not sure how much more simple I can make it.

And to your second question, where to draw the line BASED ON THE ASSUMPTION IT IS NOT THEFT (if it is theft theft then obviously no amount is OK). Simple common sense to each person's discretion. A couple of cans is understandable. If it gets to the point where you are having to stuff them in you're carry on then that clearly is not acceptable. I sincerely doubt the person who took 20 cans honestly thought what he was doing was ok. The limit is basic sense and decency.

Hope that clears it up for you
Have a lovely night
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Not presumptuous. Justified by KARFAs response and past interactions.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Stormbel
I was in the ex-ba now Aspire lounge in Belfast on Friday and the staff were having a conversation that I overheard ………..Later, chatting to one of them, he told me of a recent incident where they spotted a business man with his boss. The boss walked to the doors when the flight was called and the other stopped to lift a full bottle of whisky and put it in his bag. The security were called and then the police. He was arrested for stealing, convicted and lost his job.
………………….

Safe to say that the cretin involved will forever remember that bottle as the most expensive drink he ever acquired ….. without actually getting to taste any of it. Would be very interesting to hear how he broke the news to his mates* down the pub !

Maybe we will see similar action being taken by staff at LHR or LGW one day ….. who knows ?

Meanwhile, and setting aside the fiery debate as to what exactly does or does not constitute theft, I feel that BA should make it clear that admission to their dedicated lounges is subject to a code of conduct ; and that any behaviour or action deemed by the company to be an abuse (lifting the entire contents of a fully-stocked drinks fridge springs to mind ……) of facilities may result in permanent withdrawal of lounge privileges. For a certain (narrow) section of society, that sort of sanction would quite likely provoke more fear and apprehension than a criminal conviction.

*perhaps they regard their (now-criminal) mate as a ‘legend’ 🤣

Last edited by subject2load; Oct 9, 2022 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
According to the Theft Act 1968: A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and thief and steal shall be construed accordingly.

Theft has five main elements that are used to establish it as a criminal offence. These are: appropriation, property, property belonging to another, dishonesty, and the intention to permanently deprive.

You do not have to leave a lounge to steal somebody else's property in an act of theft (taking someone else's hand baggage or mobile for instance).

Since food and drink in a lounge is freely available to be consumed it cannot be stolen. Therefore it is a question of is it only to be consumed in the lounge or are you entitled to take it away with you?

My view is that you should really only help yourself to that which you can personally consume. But that does not mean you should only consume it in the lounge (unless there are clear signs that food and drink is only to be consumed in the lounge). I've never seen any such sign in BA's lounges but I think I did see that in CX's lounge in T3.

But I also think there is a case of proportionality and common sense. It is unacceptable in my view to take alcohol from the lounge so taking those cans of beer is a no no. I mean you wouldn't take a bottle of gin so why take the beer? Likewise helping yourself to the cutlery and crockery is a no no.

A couple of packets of crisps and two bottles of water, that's fine, 20 bottles of water and 20 packets of crisps not fine as that's disproportionate.
stifle, ermis177, SirToby and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:02 pm

There is definitely such a sign in LGW F lounge. Ive seen it twice the past week.
T8191, Lucanesque and DelTroon like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
I’m glad this thread had been revived. It’s rather enjoyable.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by i_concur
There is definitely such a sign in LGW F lounge. Ive seen it twice the past week.
Maybe that's as a result of the person who helped themselves to the 20 cans of beer as detailed up thread?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I am thoroughly on board with AJA_ here.

My view is that as long as you are taking something to consume during your onward travel with BA, that this is OK. For example, a packet of crisps to eat on your flight, or at the gate, or a beer. As long as your consumption continues to be on BA travel, then frankly you are potentially reducing consumption further down the line.

As soon as you find yourself (intentionally) with leftovers at your destination, whether home or abroad, then you've been naughty. Of course if you forget you had something in your bag, or fell asleep, then c'est la vie.

In my opinion that's why a packet of crisps and a beer is acceptable, whereas six packets and a six cokes is not. It's the intention that matters, in my moral view. I think that's also supported in law as well, as, if you had either asked some lounge staff if it was OK, or not seen the small signs saying not to take things from the lounge (I never have noticed any of these, so BA clearly don't feel this signposting is that important) then as long as you honestly believe you are allowed to take it, it cannot be considered 'dishonestly appropriating'.
louie-m likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:15 am

BA might be missing a trick here. Some branded "stolen from the lounge" bags hung next to the fridges to put your loot in could then be swung ostentatiously by the perps as they saunter through the terminal to their gates, increasing BA brand awareness and allowing for some added DYKWIA swagger. Although then we might be discussing just how many of those bags is an acceptable amount...
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:27 am

Programs: Executive Club
Surely it also depends if you have used the item before you steal it. I'm thinking that if I pick up some crisps or some biscuits, or even put a sandwich on my plate, take it to a table in the lounge and then don't use it, it is almost certainly going to be thrown away. Even a full unopened packet of crisps that someone has taken to a table won't be returned by the cleaning staff will it? Certainly not left-over food. So by taking it away you are reducing waste. That's very different to going up to the counter and picking up a bottle of whisky as you leave.

I guess a question to ponder would be that if you had, say, three of you in the lounge, I presume it would be OK to take an entire bottle of wine and three glasses to share. And then having gone through some of that wine, if you didn't drink it all, would be it OK to take the remains with you? Or decant it into a water bottle and take it?
Old Oct 10, 2022, 1:29 am

Passengers travelling Y short haul don’t get anything to eat or drink (well, a small bottle of water and a cereal bar) so taking a few beers, a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches may seem entirely reasonable to while away the time. I occasionally do.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:05 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by JessicaB
Surely it also depends if you have used the item before you steal it. I'm thinking that if I pick up some crisps or some biscuits, or even put a sandwich on my plate, take it to a table in the lounge and then don't use it, it is almost certainly going to be thrown away. Even a full unopened packet of crisps that someone has taken to a table won't be returned by the cleaning staff will it? Certainly not left-over food. So by taking it away you are reducing waste. That's very different to going up to the counter and picking up a bottle of whisky as you leave.

I guess a question to ponder would be that if you had, say, three of you in the lounge, I presume it would be OK to take an entire bottle of wine and three glasses to share. And then having gone through some of that wine, if you didn't drink it all, would be it OK to take the remains with you? Or decant it into a water bottle and take it?
We're stealing glassware now - I hadn't realised ....
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:08 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Passengers travelling Y short haul dont get anything to eat or drink (well, a small bottle of water and a cereal bar) so taking a few beers, a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches may seem entirely reasonable to while away the time. I occasionally do.
Seriously do you need a few beers, a bottle or two, crisps, biscuits and a few sandwiches for a 2 hour flight? I'm surprised you can get your bum into an economy seat.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by sl1ppy
We're stealing glassware now - I hadn't realised ....
I think that the poster JessicaB clearly meant was three people in the lounge, take a bottle of wine and 3 glasses back to their table.
​​​​​​
Drink 90% of the wine and decant the remaining wine into an empty water bottle to finish on the flight. .
Nothing about stealing glassware from the lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.