Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Acceptable amount to steal from the Galleries Lounge

Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:19 pm
  #391  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 18,740
Originally Posted by Vgravity
FTers seem to be under the mistaken impression that BA are paying Heineken, Brewdog, The Times and so on to buy their products.

These brands pay BA to be stocked in the lounge. The redemptions are valued by the brands, so a lot of product shifting suits BA and the brand. So people availing of them, even filling a suitcase, is a win for all concerned.
100% incorrect
wrp96 and RichieMc like this.
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:32 pm
  #392  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
I mean, any brewer with any sense would know giving free booze to BA would be suicidal to their business considering the consumption rate as noted on this board
wrp96, Geordie405 and PGberkshire like this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:39 pm
  #393  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Posts: 6,431
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
100% incorrect
Of course its incorrect 👍

Although .. I happen to know its true in the case of one particular country : that which rejoices under the name of FantasyLand.
subject2load is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:46 pm
  #394  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,895
Originally Posted by Fatdickie
I personally think one can of Fanta or cola, is acceptable, especially if the onward journey involves a 30-60min transfer in a hot coach or bus, with no opportunity to purchase a refreshment at the destination airport.
If you support stealing a can of fanta, then you are saying that theft is ok. it seems then hypocrtitcal to suggest that someone elses theft is wrong. If the onward journey was going to have such a situation, then a purchase could be made
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 2:51 pm
  #395  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Either
1/ sense of entitlement
2/ they have enough money to make gold (or its via work), but not enough to fund their life style so resort to petty theft
3/ weird
I think this is a bit presumptuous. Maybe not with that amount of food.

However, on a regular basis if I have a night flight I'll take a drink and a snack from the lounge on board. It's not a sense of entitlement nor due to lack of money nor do I think it weird. It's simply for convenience. I'll grab a few small things, eat them on board and then sleep through dinner and breakfast. It's allows me more sleep and means I don't have to leave the lounge early to queue in a WHSmith.

Im of the opinion that taking a few things (1/2 cans + a snack) is perfectly fine. Maybe taking more is debatable. However I think that it's being blown out of proportion on this thread. Whenever I take food I do not hide it. Im holding it in my hands as I exit the lounge. I say thanks to the lounge agent and not once have I been asked about the food. I reckon if it wasn't allowed BA would be policing it especially when it's obvious. So the reason that they do not is my reason to assume they don't give a stuff
Fatdickie likes this.
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:05 pm
  #396  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,631
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
I think this is a bit presumptuous. Maybe not with that amount of food.

However, on a regular basis if I have a night flight I'll take a drink and a snack from the lounge on board. It's not a sense of entitlement nor due to lack of money nor do I think it weird. It's simply for convenience. I'll grab a few small things, eat them on board and then sleep through dinner and breakfast. It's allows me more sleep and means I don't have to leave the lounge early to queue in a WHSmith.

Im of the opinion that taking a few things (1/2 cans + a snack) is perfectly fine. Maybe taking more is debatable. However I think that it's being blown out of proportion on this thread. Whenever I take food I do not hide it. Im holding it in my hands as I exit the lounge. I say thanks to the lounge agent and not once have I been asked about the food. I reckon if it wasn't allowed BA would be policing it especially when it's obvious. So the reason that they do not is my reason to assume they don't give a stuff
but 6 packs of crisps and 6 cokes?
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:08 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 503
Yep. I'd agree that's over the line. But for the most part this thread is an excuse for FTers to rage about the one guy taking a normal amount of food. I don't think that is right.

By all means yell at the guy taking the six pack but ease up a little on the rest
PGberkshire likes this.
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:11 pm
  #398  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,895
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
Yep. I'd agree that's over the line. But for the most part this thread is an excuse for FTers to rage about the one guy taking a normal amount of food. I don't think that is right.

By all means yell at the guy taking the six pack but ease up a little on the rest
What is a normal in accepting theft as being ok? what I steal is ok, but more than that is wrong so lighten up on my amounts?
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:15 pm
  #399  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
What is a normal in accepting theft as being ok? what I steal is ok, but more than that is wrong so lighten up on my amounts?
My opinion is based on my belief that it's not stealing. My belief of that is based on 1) no lounge agent has ever asked me to return the food (taken in moderation) and 2) me having asked the first few times if it was ok to which I was told yes.

As soon as a lounge agent tells me it's not allowed I will put the food back. Until that point I think it's perfectly fine. As aforementioned, if BA were so fussed they would start policing it. They do not so evidently are not that bothered
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:19 pm
  #400  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,895
If it is not stealing, then it then wouldn't matter about someone filling their hand luggage with as much as they can fit - why would taking 1 can be ok and 6 cans and 2 bottles of wine not ok ?

BA has ( or had ) small notices saying that the items were for consumption in the lounge

How well staff choose to enforce things do not impact whether they are right or wrong
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:22 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is not stealing, then it then wouldn't matter about someone filling their hand luggage with as much as they can fit - why would taking 1 can be ok and 6 cans and 2 bottles of wine not ok ?

BA has ( or had ) small notices saying that the items were for consumption in the lounge

How well staff choose to enforce things do not impact whether they are right or wrong
Regarding your first point the difference between 1 can and a six pack isn't necessarily stealing or not, it's more polite etiquette.

If what you say about BA putting signs up is indeed true then I take back my points as it would then clearly be stealing. However, I have never seen any of these signs but will be on the look out next time
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:23 pm
  #402  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
My opinion is based on my belief that it's not stealing. My belief of that is based on 1) no lounge agent has ever asked me to return the food (taken in moderation) and 2) me having asked the first few times if it was ok to which I was told yes.

As soon as a lounge agent tells me it's not allowed I will put the food back. Until that point I think it's perfectly fine. As aforementioned, if BA were so fussed they would start policing it. They do not so evidently are not that bothered
By that reasoning the incident reported in post 359 is completely fine then since they were not asked to refrain from taking "..20+ cans of Heineken and Brewdog Jet Stream..."
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:28 pm
  #403  
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 503
Originally Posted by KARFA
By that reasoning the incident reported in post 359 is completely fine then since they were not asked to refrain from taking "..20+ cans of Heineken and Brewdog Jet Stream..."
KARFA as always taking things out of proportion.

As I previously said the difference between 1 can and 20 is etiquette. Based on the assumption that it's not stealing (I haven't seen signs contrary to this but will be looking out) I would say 1 is fine. 20 is quite simply scummy. It's like going to a friend's house and they say "help yourself". Whilst they technically may allow you to take 20 snacks it's not proper etiquette nor is it their intention for you to take more than 1 or 2.

And as this is BRITISH airways etiquette is everything
Jzlerner is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:32 pm
  #404  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,495
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
KARFA as always taking things out of proportion.

As I previously said the difference between 1 can and 20 is etiquette. Based on the assumption that it's not stealing (I haven't seen signs contrary to this but will be looking out) I would say 1 is fine. 20 is quite simply scummy. It's like going to a friend's house and they say "help yourself". Whilst they technically may allow you to take 20 snacks it's not proper etiquette nor is it their intention for you to take more than 1 or 2.

And as this is BRITISH airways etiquette is everything
It's not really taking it out of proportion if it's a real world example posted today which I am asking your view upon

So as far as you are concerned, regardless of the amount taken it isn't a question of theft and only one of etiquette?

If so, where you draw the line in your etiquette scale? Of course what you take is fine according to your self defined standard, but what point would be over the line in your view and no longer acceptable? Is taking the 20 drinks your idea of unacceptable etiquette?
KARFA is offline  
Old Oct 9, 2022, 3:34 pm
  #405  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Englandshire
Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Posts: 16,116
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
KARFA as always taking things out of proportion
Originally Posted by Jzlerner
I think this is a bit presumptuous.
Oxon Flyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.