Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Oneworld Sapphire and prereserved seating questions

Oneworld Sapphire and prereserved seating questions

Old Apr 22, 16, 8:58 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
As an AA PLT (OWS), can I select a WT+ seat on BA metal (AA codeshare) during booking without added cost? The flight would be PHL-LHR and booking would be about 2 weeks in advance.

Sorry if this is too simple (or too vague) of a question. I can't find a definitive answer online, and a dummy booking through AA.com wouldn't let me select seats.

With all else being equal, would you recommend that I fly BA (AA codeshare) or AA as a PLT?
Old Apr 22, 16, 9:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by patmcpsu View Post
With all else being equal, would you recommend that I fly BA (AA codeshare) or AA as a PLT?
If you had some Avios there may be a case for booking under BA so you can potentially use them to upgrade to Club World. If you have an Amex card with a few points going this may be one way to achieve it, but proceed cautiously and check further before doing anything. Also if you are PHL_LHR and back on BA metal on a BA 125 ticket issued by BA.com you may get a POUG offer for a cash upgrade (see the Dashboard for more information).

Neither of this impinges on seat selection, whether booked via BA or AA you get free seat selection as Sapphire. It may be easier to do on BA.com but if all else fails a telephone call should resolve. By doing a dummy booking on BA.com for a fully flexible WTP seat you should see what is available or via ExpertFlyer.
Old May 30, 16, 5:00 pm

I have upcoming flight with family in club world, discounted fare, and remain unable to choose seats for free despite achieving Oneworld Sapphire status (AA platinum) subsequent to purchase of tickets (on BA.com).

All of the advice on this thread suggests I should telephone, but I was actually in the LHR galleries lounge over the weekend, and the ticket agent there told me she could not help me get seats assigned due to changes in the computer system. I would imagine in person is better than telephone.

Of note, also unable to re-enter AA number via BA website, AA website, or Finnair website.

According to BA website, free preselection of seats is a OW Sapphire benefit except for "baggage only" fares. We do get free checked bags, so I don't think this is it. Unable to find fare class anywhere.

Anyone have any idea what is going on or have any suggestions?
Old May 30, 16, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This might be a case where deleting the existing FF number, ending the session, then re-entering the number will then get the new status to "take" in the BA system. You may have to suggest those steps to the agent.

The fares that you're thinking of are "hand baggage only" on short-haul flights.
Old May 30, 16, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
This might be a case where deleting the existing FF number, ending the session, then re-entering the number will then get the new status to "take" in the BA system. You may have to suggest those steps to the agent.
Already tried to do delete and re-enter number on-line, but the reservation does not allow change of FF number. My BA.com profile does allow deletion and re-entry, and I did it there, exactly as you suggest, without success.

I did suggest to the agent in the lounge that she do exactly that, and I even wrote my number on a card and handed it to her. She typed about a bit and then said that the computer system would not let her do it.

Search this Thread