FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Question about "My Flights" app [service ends on 31 Dec 2017] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1684072-question-about-my-flights-app-service-ends-31-dec-2017-a.html)

hearingdouble Nov 23, 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by daftboy (Post 29092202)
This is massively inconsequential (but hey, it’s FT :p) but I noticed that Avianca Brasil (O6) does not have an airline logo showing in the app, which makes my otherwise pretty list of past flights have a bit of a gap in it.

(I believe legally the airline is Oceanair, but it uses the Avianca brand)

If we’re drilling down to that level of detail, there’s also no logo for NU-coded flights (Japan Transocean Air & Ryukyu Air Commuter). Perhaps they could just use the ordinary JAL logo?

Calchas Nov 24, 2017 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29090770)
Is it? I thought it was confirmed that it was simply the rather mundane reason that IB's systems don't work with the T5 systems, so the workaround is to pretend that the flights are "BA" flights by giving them a BA prime code at T5.

Originally Posted by BA6501 (Post 29090820)
Indeed this. I've heard the other explanation a couple times, as well as the "fact" about MAD-LHR being all IB prime, which is not the case. There are both IB3160-3180 flights, which are proper IB flights, and IB74xx flights which are operated by BA. BA flights MAD-LHR are BA4xx, and IB operated flights are BA7xxx.

Well, I stand corrected.

clubman Nov 27, 2017 7:51 am

Just got an email about MyfFights discontinuing as of December 31st. What a terrible shame. I can't begin to count how many times it's saved me!.

Huge thanks to Chris for providing us with one of the best travel tools out there for the past few years.

MyFlights App Nov 27, 2017 7:53 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 29104498)
Just got an email about Myflight discontinuing as of December 31st. What a terrible shame as I can't begin to count how many times it's saved me!.

Huge thanks to Chris for providing us with one of the best travel tools out there for the past few years.

Thank you.

Note: The email is going out to everyone who's used the app in the last 2 years, but annoyingly it's on pause as there's an issue with the email list provider, so just trying to get it fixed. Sorry!

Globaliser Nov 27, 2017 7:58 am

May I please ask whether this is just the app, or whether the website will be discontinued as well?

MyFlights App Nov 27, 2017 8:01 am

Emails now going out again (there's a lot to send tho!)

The service in its entirety will end on 31st December. My agreement with Amadeus is up for renewal then. For security reasons, the new service after this requires me to have an agreement (approval) from the company (e.g. travel agent or airline) that a booking is made with so I can access their data. This would mean many thousands of agreements which just isn't possible I'm afraid. There is no longer an option for one agreement to access data from any provider.

KARFA Nov 27, 2017 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29104525)
May I please ask whether this is just the app, or whether the website will be discontinued as well?

The email mentions both app and web. Here is the full text for those who haven't received it. I am really saddened by this.

After nine years and more than 50,000 users, it's with great regret that I announce that on 31 December 2017, MyFlights will be discontinued.

What's changed?
Our current agreement with Amadeus, the booking reservation system, comes to an end on 31 December 2017. Unfortunately, the new agreement doesn't give MyFlights access to the data it needs to operate.

New security procedures require approval from the booking agent before a booking can be accessed by a third party. As such, MyFlights would need a separate agreement with each and every airline or travel agent that a MyFlights user might book with in order to access their booking information. However we don't have the resource to establish and manage many thousands of separate relationships.

So from today, we have stopped accepting new account registrations and existing accounts can no longer upgrade their status.

What will happen to my bookings?
You can continue to use the MyFlights app and MyFlights on the web as normal until 31 December 2017.

After this date, your existing bookings will no longer be monitored for changes and you won't be able to add new bookings to your account.

You will be able to view your existing bookings until 30 June 2018, at which point your account and all associated data will be permanently deleted.

I upgraded my status - will I get a refund?
Firstly, thank you so much for investing in MyFlights. It's thanks to your support that we've been able to achieve what we have.

Your status benefits (including flight & connection monitoring) will be available as normal until 31 December 2017. At 23:59 on 31 December 2017, your status will be automatically downgraded and you will receive a pro rata refund for the unused portion of your paid term.

What's next for MyFlights?
Although we're devastated to be discontinuing MyFlights, the name will live on in our new tool for travel agents. Designed to help travel agents keep their customers up-to-date with their travel, MyFlights Travel Agent notifies you and your clients about any changes that might affect their trip.

To find out more about this service and how we can help you deliver the ultimate travel agent experience, please [email protected].

Finally, on a personal note, I just wanted to say a huge thank you for choosing MyFlights. I created the app nearly a decade ago to monitor my bookings, and added it to the App Store in case anybody else might find it useful. Seeing the app grow over the years has been one of my proudest achievements and I have been overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and support. It's been incredible hearing on a daily basis how MyFlights has become an essential travel tool and helped you avoid some sticky situations.

Thank you again, and safe travels.

Globaliser Nov 27, 2017 8:08 am

Originally Posted by MyFlights App (Post 29104533)
The service in its entirety will end on 31st December. My agreement with Amadeus is up for renewal then. For security reasons, the new service after this requires me to have an agreement (approval) from the company (e.g. travel agent or airline) that a booking is made with so I can access their data. This would mean many thousands of agreements which just isn't possible I'm afraid. There is no longer an option for one agreement to access data from any provider.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 29104537)
I am really saddened by this.

So am I, although I entirely understand the reasons why.

Thank you - a million times - to schofs for all of the hard work over the years. I'm particularly saddened by the fact that much of that work has been done in the last few months with the inception of the new service and all of the additional features that have been added. Some have been very obvious, but others have been quietly introduced to improve the experience all round. I had high hopes that this would be a new lease of life for one of the best travel tools out there, and that it would go from strength to strength. It is not to be, but it has been fabulous to have had it while it lasted. All hugely appreciated.

florens Nov 27, 2017 8:11 am

This is sad news indeed.

mikebg Nov 27, 2017 8:15 am

Thank you so much schofs for all the hard work and user support.

Now the difficult question is: how will we manage without it?

Roger Nov 27, 2017 8:29 am

Very sorry to hear this sad news about a hugely useful app.

Commiserations and good luck to Chris in his next endeavour.

IMH Nov 27, 2017 8:47 am

This is indeed very sad news, especially after all of the extra effort schofs has put in recent months. Thanks, Chris!

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 29104557)
one of the best travel tools out there.

+1

Calchas Nov 27, 2017 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MyFlights App (Post 29104533)
For security reasons, the new service after this requires me to have an agreement (approval) from the company (e.g. travel agent or airline) that a booking is made with so I can access their data. This would mean many thousands of agreements which just isn't possible I'm afraid. There is no longer an option for one agreement to access data from any provider.

Amadeus has tried pushing their crappy product before by eliminating the competition. Numerous complaints forced them to relent.

Now they have a better excuse to push forward.

It would be very straightforward for Amadeus to facilitate an agreement on behalf of the travel agents for re-use of the data. After all, acting as a data intermediary is why Amadeus exists.

I’ll take a look at their product again, but as I remember, it was targeted at the “fly once a year” crowd.

MPH1980 Nov 27, 2017 8:51 am

schofs - I'm really sorry to hear this. You put in so much work on the tool in the last 9 months and it was fantastic.

I really wish you luck with the new tool.

dsf Nov 27, 2017 8:52 am

Very sad to hear about this. Been my go-to app, one of the rare "not shoved away in a folder" travel apps on my iPhone home screen. Always had pleasant interaction with @schofs over email as well. Thanks for everything Chris!