Old WTP v New WTP

Old May 29, 2015, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Old WTP v New WTP

Am I alone in thinking that there is actually a real difference?

I'm quite a frequent flyer from the East coast back to London, particularly from IAD. I'm never in F, rarely in WT, more than often in WTP and sometimes in CW. I usually have to take the later flight on both legs which means a 777. For some reason to IAD, the majority seem to have the old WTP, which is always a disappointment for me.

I really feel BA's new product is far nicer than the old one. The seat is a lot more comfortable, the aesthetics are cleaner and more refined, the AVOD system is miles better with a very nice screen, modern USB and charging stations and I always seem to have a much better sleep.

For me these days, turning right into the cabin, I always hold my breath and say a silent prayer for new WTP.

Are BA planning to upgrade the 747s with new WTP/WT? As far as I know, all the current 747s have the old one.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I couldn't agree more with your analysis! New WTP is way better then the old one.

747s interiors will be refitted, though the seat won't change.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by themapelligroup
I couldn't agree more with your analysis! New WTP is way better then the old one.

747s interiors will be refitted, though the seat won't change.
i actually wondered that too--while the seat design will not change--will the new 747s get the 777 seat--i thought so as the AVOD is being updated?
Old May 29, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Originally Posted by VSLover
i actually wondered that too--while the seat design will not change--will the new 747s get the 777 seat--i thought so as the AVOD is being updated?
Nope, unfortunately. The seat covers will be updated, and probably new foam installed underneath, and the new AVOD system installed, but the seats themselves are here to stay.
Old May 29, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by csutter
Nope, unfortunately. The seat covers will be updated, and probably new foam installed underneath, and the new AVOD system installed, but the seats themselves are here to stay.
So this means that the old seat design remains the same? Bit like the CW upgrade on the 767?
Old May 29, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
Do both old and new WT+ seats have the foot-rest? Is it comfortable?

Last edited by headingwest; May 29, 2015 at 8:48 am
Old May 29, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by headingwest
Do both old and new WT+ seats have the foot-rest? Is it comfortable?
Can't remember entirely but I think they took out the foot-rest on the new WTP. Possibly the only wrong move they made I reckon
Old May 29, 2015, 9:19 am

I find the new seats rather too firm, so am looking forward to the 747 refresh.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by jamie9456
Can't remember entirely but I think they took out the foot-rest on the new WTP. Possibly the only wrong move they made I reckon
A big boo-boo imo. Only front row seats have it on the new WTP, and it's too short.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Sapphire (BA Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bioblot
A big boo-boo imo. Only front row seats have it on the new WTP, and it's too short.
Really? Why is that? Are they worried that passengers will get too comfortable and not buy Club World tickets?

It did think it strange that I've seen some photos with the new WT+ having the foot-rest, but others not.

Last edited by headingwest; May 29, 2015 at 10:38 am Reason: spelling
Old May 29, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by bioblot
I find the new seats rather too firm, so am looking forward to the 747 refresh.
That's odd as the biggest complaint about the old seat has always been it being too hard, and the reports about the new seat suggest it's much better in that respect.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I find the new WT+ cabin to feel more spacious and the seats to be more comfortable. The old cabin is still comfortable, but it does looks ancient in comparison.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA, BA
Personally, I find old WTP rather uncomfortable for overnight flights. After recently being downgraded LHR-PEK, I was unable to sleep at all. Had the same experience the following week BGI-LGW. Taking away cost sensitivity, I would not book WTP for an overnight if sleep was a consideration. Having only taken day flights in WTP, the seat always seemed perfectly adequate. Taken one sector in new WTP and found the seat and environment much more pleasant for a quick sector to the East Coast.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
i think the excitement of being on the 747 outweighs the shabbiness of it. plus seat 28J is like my own throne.

i dont mind the seat design itself, but the AVOD, sigh. and i cannot recall if there were legrests...i'm 6'2" so those are useless for me no matter.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
The storage bins. I've now flown the new WT+ upper deck out of IAD twice. The ability to store my stuff and any of the stuff my seatmate has in those bins frees up the WT+ seat to be a seat rather than a hybrid seat/storage bin. I still prefer my CW upgrade, but if I don't get it, I'm happy in my WT+ seat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.