New LCY - EDI Enhancement?

Old May 27, 15, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Just got off the LCY - EDI service after a 4 month break from BA.

Parked at a remote stand, bussed to gate 14 and then a long walk to the exit - estimate it added c. 15 minutes to the journey.

A) When bussed from a remote stand, is using gate 14/15 the new norm? I seem to remember previously being dropped off behind baggage reclaim.

B) Is it common for the LCY service to be on a remote stand? Always thought it used Gate 5.
Old May 27, 15, 4:57 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
this has not happened to me on an LCY flight and I sincerely hope it does not become the norm
Old May 27, 15, 5:03 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club British Airways Executive Club
Been flying LCY - GLA every week for the last 4 months and I've had this happen once.

It's not the norm but it does happen.

Edit: I misread the original post. Thought the OP had just landed at LCY not EDI.

Last edited by matd; May 28, 15 at 3:52 am
Old May 28, 15, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Might it be something to do with the extensions/work being carried out at ground level around baggage reclaim area(I think)? I can see the building work from my daily train commute into Edinburgh.

If so hopefully it will only be temporary until works are finished.
Old May 28, 15, 3:55 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Sometimes happens on the last flight of the day.
Old May 28, 15, 4:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes this is a one in ten thing, it's been going on for years to my certain knowledge, particularly for the first or last service of the day as nobbyclark mentioned, whether LCY, LHR or LGW, also if there is gate congestion. Annoying at the time, particularly if the service is already late, but it doesn't actually add much time, since you are then placed closed to the landside door.
Old May 28, 15, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes this is a one in ten thing, it's been going on for years to my certain knowledge, particularly for the first or last service of the day as nobbyclark mentioned, whether LCY, LHR or LGW, also if there is gate congestion. Annoying at the time, particularly if the service is already late, but it doesn't actually add much time, since you are then placed closed to the landside door.
It actually tends to be the second or third last service of the day depending upon whether the aircraft is overnighting in EDI.

The last arrival of the day often parks at Gate 5 so it can leave sharpish the next morning. The penultimate arrival often gets parked right around the back beyond gate 14.

However I've never been bussed to Gate 14 before - usually they take you to the domestic arrival door near the baggage reclaim.
Old May 28, 15, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, IHG Spire, former black Cineworld Unlimited, Tastecard

Take that route twice a month (including earlier in the week) and never been bused so definitely not a permanent enhancement for all flights
Old May 28, 15, 11:11 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
I've had it once, delayed evening lcy flight, everyone grumbled, more so when we were stopped at the covered walkway to let passengers from an easyjet flight go first (we were at the walkway first!). Another staff member came along and hurriedly let us on our way! Might have been gla come to think of it...
Old May 29, 15, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
That's been the case before, but we were taken to Gate 14 which involves walking all the way through the terminal and out the main exit [as if you'd come in on stand at Gate 10].

Also just seen the new rates post-April 28th - 5 Tier Points [0.3% of Gold] and 625 Avios.

Given Virgin gives 2,000 Points and 1 Tier Point [2.5% of Gold], suffice to say I won't be flying BA again until the Virgin service stops.
Old May 29, 15, 6:54 am

I am worried about people's extrapolation skills. Surely because it happens once, it is not a new norm?
Old May 29, 15, 6:59 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
I am worried about people's extrapolation skills. Surely because it happens once, it is not a new norm?
I had it happen on a run of the 20:50 flights to EDI for a few weeks. Plane actually parked way over the other side of the airfield near the dormant Jet2 and unmarked jets. I stopped taking that flight because of this as it was unwanted at the end of a long week.
Old May 29, 15, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer View Post
Nobody said it was a new norm.

The purpose of the thread was to increase the sample size in order to make extrapolation possible!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: