Wiki Posts
Search

Info for using BA miles on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Info for using BA miles on AA

I tried search but could not find this. I remember years ago I could use BA miles for travel on AA. Have not done that for a long time and recently, I call BA and the agents are exceedingly rude...not even politely providing information. Just trying to confirm we can still use BA miles for AA travel and is it the same amount of miles as AA charges?
Old May 27, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

BA Avios can be redeemed for travel on AA at BAEC's redemption rates, and subject to BAEC's rules, fees, and surcharges (where applicable).

Did you call the BAEC Service Center, or just BA's Reservations Department? Avios questions should be directed to BAEC.

Avios redemptions on AA can be accomplished at ba.com, after logging in to one's BAEC account; on-line redemptions avoid telephone-booking fees.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
In my opinion they can be a great use of Avios too as the flat fees tend to be pretty low so they're handy for doing short, cheap hops to visit places when you're in the states.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:11 am

Login to your BAEC account and search and book as you would for BA flights. The flights will show as partner airline flights. I found the economy redemption is better with Avios with less fees (AA charges extra $75 for redemptions closer to travel dates). For premium class, on 2 class AA flights, BA charges as FIRST class and hence the miles needed seemed to be more (example BA needed 35000 miles while AA offered the same for 25000 miles in domestic first class). So If you have miles on both I suggest checking both redemptions and pick the best that suits you.

Overall the only thing I like with BA is the domestic US redemptions and they seem worth it.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Foltan
In my opinion they can be a great use of Avios too as the flat fees tend to be pretty low so they're handy for doing short, cheap hops to visit places when you're in the states.
True. You can get LAX-SFO, NYC-WAS and other such routes for 4,500 avios + about $5 for taxes, or 25,000 avios for JFK-LAX/SFO in J on their A321Ts. Great value.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by B747forever
Originally Posted by Foltan
True. You can get LAX-SFO, NYC-WAS and other such routes for 4,500 avios + about $5 for taxes, or 25,000 avios for JFK-LAX/SFO in J on their A321Ts. Great value.
I'm pretty sure that JFK-LAX/SFO in J now costs 37,500 Avios, since the devaluation.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
JFK-LAX is 2475 miles so band 4 meaning reward flights are:

12,500 in Y
37,500 in J
50,000 in F
Old May 27, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by ontheway
I tried search but could not find this. I remember years ago I could use BA miles for travel on AA. Have not done that for a long time and recently, I call BA and the agents are exceedingly rude...not even politely providing information. Just trying to confirm we can still use BA miles for AA travel and is it the same amount of miles as AA charges?
In addition to the advice you have already received you should have a look at the "Your guide for spending avios" which provides a lot of information you may find helpful.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-2015-a.html
Old May 29, 2015, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

I'm pretty sure that JFK-LAX/SFO in J now costs 37,500 Avios, since the devaluation.
Originally Posted by KARFA
JFK-LAX is 2475 miles so band 4 meaning reward flights are:

12,500 in Y
37,500 in J
50,000 in F
Well I am happy I was able to get 2 J seat on JFK-LAX before the change.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
I booked two economy reward flights on AA, EWR-MIA and MIA-YUL and it seems that they are hand baggage only fares. There was no choice when booking. Is there any way to avoid $25 per checked bag? Does gold/emerald status help?
Old May 29, 2015, 3:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Richmond_Surrey
I booked two economy reward flights on AA, EWR-MIA and MIA-YUL and it seems that they are hand baggage only fares. There was no choice when booking. Is there any way to avoid $25 per checked bag? Does gold/emerald status help?
Yes it does, the AA/US system for HBO is different to BA's. It should show up on your booking on AA, and it would be good to have your BAEC card handy at checkin.

See some of the later posts in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...k-w-avios.html
Old May 29, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Thanks. I will print whatever is needed, just in case. I'm certainly taking my card with me.
Old May 30, 2015, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Has BA changed the rules for which AA/US flights can be booked using Avios? I thought that any nonstop with MileSAAver availability on AA could be booked using Avios. But I just checked availability for flights next weekend, and BA's website says that there are no flights available for the date & route I checked, even though AA's website lists 3 nonstop flights with MileSAAver availability. Did the rules change? Or is this a glitch on BA's website?
Old May 30, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by roberton
Has BA changed the rules for which AA/US flights can be booked using Avios? I thought that any nonstop with MileSAAver availability on AA could be booked using Avios. But I just checked availability for flights next weekend, and BA's website says that there are no flights available for the date & route I checked, even though AA's website lists 3 nonstop flights with MileSAAver availability. Did the rules change? Or is this a glitch on BA's website?
The AA-US flights are often hit or miss. What is your route and dates and we can double check for you?
Old May 30, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The AA-US flights are often hit or miss. What is your route and dates and we can double check for you?
DCA to BDL on 6/6. I'm seeing availability on two nonstops (US3766 and US4555) on AA's site, but neither one shows up on BA's site. If you can double-check, that'd be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.