Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OH would like to see WHALES ... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 4:55 am

Location: Northumberland (The big bit between Newcastle & Scotland).
Programs: BAEC & VS.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The channel between Maui, Oahu, and Molokai has lots and lots of whales, dolphins, and other cetaceans particularly in February and March. Book a stay on the Lahaina/Kaanapali side of the Maui and you can watch them from shore. This organization runs really great whale watching tour boats.

http://www.pacificwhale.org/content/faqs

It's a beautiful place to visit for many other reasons too. Whale season runs from about November to April/May.

Aloha,

Doc
Doc Savage has got it spot on here .... as a keen photographer I have been lucky enough to visit Lahaina 3 times now on kind of a part working holiday on the whale boats from there (Trips for pics).

Peak of the Nov-May season is accepted as valentines day - the channel is like "whale soup" then.

I tend to fly BA to San Diego (LAX is a zoo) then Alaska Airlines out to Maui
5 pics attached as a taster

IMG_3815 by Nigel Fenwick, on Flickr

IMG_3457 by Nigel Fenwick, on Flickr

IMG_0089 by Nigel Fenwick, on Flickr

HC9A5073 by Nigel Fenwick, on Flickr

HC9A4676 by Nigel Fenwick, on Flickr

I have also had good trips out of Vancouver for Orcas - but for surface active whales you can't beat Maui's Humpbacks.

Cheers Bat21

Last edited by Bat 21; May 27, 2015 at 5:38 am
Old May 27, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Another vote here for Maui. We have been out from Lahaina some days and it's like whale soup out there.

OT A book to read on the long journey out there is Fluke by Christopher Moore. A humorous novel, but a bit educational!
Old May 27, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Vava'u in Tonga if you want to swim with them, Hermanus in SA to watch. The latter definitely an easier trip - Tonga will include multiple flights plus everything shuts down on Sundays (no boat trips, no flights), so you'll need a lot of time and patience.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
I've seen a fair few people doing whale impressions on Chelmsford high street.

For Orca's, I recommend the Falkland Islands. I sat on Sealion Island and watched a pod of 6-8 going back and forth along the coast searching for unaware penguins and seals.

You also get the added bonus of Sealions, elephant seals (truly massive and smelly beasts) and multiple varieties of penguin. What more could you want?!
Old May 27, 2015, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
You also get the added bonus of Sealions, elephant seals (truly massive and smelly beasts) and multiple varieties of penguin. What more could you want?!
Great Whites, for texture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.