OH would like to see WHALES ... any ideas?

Old May 25, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
3) Falkland Islands. A bit out of the way, and the whales are more tricky to spot there, but there's such a variety of other sealife out there too. If you can hitch a lift to South Georgia then there is Grytviken, the former whaling station, left abandoned.
I would second the Falklands.

On my free 4 month holiday down there we went down to Berthas beach, surfers beach and watched dolphins in the waves and earlier in the year you can see whales and sometimes even Orca's off sea lion island.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
You can go Whale watching in San Francisco too… Boat trips out to the Farallon Islands from the Marina area, at the right time of year, will see the Whales migrating up the Pacific coast…

The only problem with doing it from San Francisco is weather. If it is foggy, which it of course is often in the area, then they will not depart.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:21 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

1) Kaikoura New Zealand. This stretch of South Island is one of the few places in NZ which can be easily reached by rail. The mountains nearby continue down into the sea, to create a deep trench surprisingly close to land. I think it's in the 90% guarantee to see something or other, or thereabouts.
+ 1

This was my first ever whale watching and it was amazing.

We also did whale watching during our cruise trip to Alaska. We did it when the ship stopped in Juneau - but it was quite a miserable experience comparing to Kaikorua.

The good thing: QF is still operating a single frequency to CHC, so you can use Avios for this trip (all other flights were JQ'ed).

And let me one more thing - if you are thinking about visiting NZ, the best way to travel is to rent a compervan and be totally independent. Amazing experience!
Old May 25, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Some of the best whale watching is in Patagonia especially Puerto Madryn. Sea lion and penguin colonies can be seen as well. 241 availability to EZE will be harder to spot.
GRU is also a decent 2f1 staging point (and does F); its then the excitement which is AR, GRU-AEP-USH (or wherever - PMY). The GRU - USH rtn can be quite a decent price.
Anyways, February is a good time for a expedition ship tour from Ushuaia via the Falklands, South Georgia & the Antarctic Peninsula. Abundant Humpbacks & Minkes close-up around the peninsula, strong chance for Fin Whales during the sea-crossings ... and good chances for 3 or 4 other species.

Meanwhile, over in CPT. Late September thru mid-November finds it warm enough to do Hermanus and some bays just east as part of the Garden Route. Stunning area. At both Boulders Beach near Cape Town and StormsRiver (just past Plett) we've seen whales breaching while sat in our accommodation.

Also saw whales this New Year's day from the Amtrak Coastal Starlight train, not far north of Santa Barbara. Didn't have my binos though.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hilton diamond, Marriott titanium, IHG platinum
OH would like to see WHALES ... any ideas?

Dana Point CA. Never fails for whales - and dolphins. Fly in through San Diego to avoid LAX...
Old May 25, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
A good friend of mine has them pass by his back garden from time to time. He lives on the west coast of Norway near Alesund.

His garden slopes down to a fjord and the front of his house sits at the foot of a dramatic cliff with waterfalls!
Old May 25, 2015, 6:49 pm

A pod of orcas were just off my front beach only a few days ago. The male had a dorsal fin at least six feet high. When you are an orca, size matters.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:15 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TPJ
+ 1

We also did whale watching during our cruise trip to Alaska. We did it when the ship stopped in Juneau - but it was quite a miserable experience comparing to Kaikorua.

The good thing: QF is still operating a single frequency to CHC, so you can use Avios for this trip (all other flights were JQ'ed).

And let me one more thing - if you are thinking about visiting NZ, the best way to travel is to rent a compervan and be totally independent. Amazing experience!
I concur with this - have just done it.. Gives you great flexibility. Also great wineries to visit in NZ too...
Old May 25, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by TPJ
+ 1

I'd vote for Alaska, having done Kaikoura twice 18 years apart. Whilst the sperm whales are certainly majestic, you are simply waiting for them to surface, take some breathes and then catch them dive.

We too went to Alaska. As part of the cruise we headed for Juneau where we saw the most amazing Humpbacks. They eat by doing something called "Bubble-netting", one whale swims round and round blowing bubbles out which force the fish to the surface, then he shoots straight up and you end up with something like this photo below.

IMG_4109.jpg by richkirby, on Flickr

We then tacked on a trip from Vancouver to see the Orcas, who were also amazing, although photographing them proved to be far more difficult. We spent about two hours following the pod around Vancouver Harbour.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
I have actually never seen a whale but when I was in HNL I went scuba diving and experienced whale song. That was impressive, like this:
plenty of other clips on youtube

If you spend a week you can easily get a divers certificate. It's fun and not very expensive.
Old May 25, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by CaroFos
Wow... Thanks, so much... What an amazing response in such a short time! Lots of food for thought here..

Am feeling very guilty as am doing HNL run in December without OH...

I am thinking maybe I will just have to go again! OH not remotely interested in collecting TPs or Avios (although happy to partake in UUA and the like) ... Roll on the next EU sale when I can route him via LAX and I'll go all round the houses ...

That said... Also liking the sound of Cabo.. So will look at that too.. Love the idea of New Zealand but just sounds a bit too far away until retirement/teen properly leaves home. SA also attractive as can tag on some wine tasting!

Thanks again...
C
Dominican Republic if South Pacific is too far? I've been fortunate enough to have swum with humpbacks in Niue and Tonga, amazing experience in latter (having a curious calf decide to come really, really close was phenomenal)

Even if you can't swing it this time could be a good follow-up for your OH after having appetite whetted
Old May 25, 2015, 8:21 pm

Not a BA destination, but a direct Oneworld partner flight from LHR - you are pretty much guaranteed (as much as wild animals can be) to see whales off the Southern tip of Sri Lanka. Blue whales are the main draw but there are many others.

Just be aware the sea can be extremely rough as you have to go right out into the Indian Ocean shipping lanes. When i went 90% of the boat were hanging over the side by the end.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Gold
I've had a few experiences, all but one of which covered above.

For orcas & humpbacks, Vanvouver Island was best. Monterey bay is generally reliable all year round. Cape Cod was pretty good. Hermanus great for watching from the shoreline.

However, fly to San Diego and get one of the tours which goes to San Ignacio lagoon. December through March is when the greys come to calf and you can go out in the lagoon and they come up to the side of the boat and you can reach out and touch them. There is not a better whale experience IMO.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
You don't need to travel, Wales are coming to England during the Rugby World Cup...
Old May 26, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Bronze
No need to go too far. Killer whales (Orca's) can be seen from the shore at Torry Battery close to the Centre of Aberdeen most days! Also plenty dolphins on view. A cheap day return to Aberdeen- LHR-ABZ-LHR is all you need.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.