FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Is BA001 Club World London City worth it now? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1681657-ba001-club-world-london-city-worth-now.html)

Bloomsbury May 21, 2015 5:49 am

Is BA001 Club World London City worth it now?

Just wondering would you say the the service/novelty of BA001 is still deemed to be worth it over flying from LHR now that the bonus tier points are gone?

The way I see it...

+ no immigration at JFK
+ smaller, intimate plane
+ 'professional' passengers
+ less time at the airport

- missing out on lounges at Heathrow
- less privacy with seating layout
- IFE

At the moment I can't decide which route to take. Previously the tier points would have pushed me over to LCY.

Worth pointing out that LCY is slightly more convenient and cheaper for me to get to as well.

What's your preference now if you've sampled both?

Flythe96flag May 21, 2015 5:58 am

I guess there's also the opportunity of POUG/AUP/UuA/op-ups to F from LHR.

I've yet to sample BA1, but will be interesting to experience this summer. :)

KenJohn May 21, 2015 5:58 am

In a word - Yes!

I prefer the seat as it is studier than the now yin-yang style seats.

I rather like the LCY Gate 24 lounge. It does feel like a private club in there.

Crew are much better than LHR crew; friendlier and more professional. Have alway had excellent service on this flight unlike the variable mix ex-LHR.

Better passenger to toilet ratio; especially during the last minute scramble on the JFK-LCY overnight flight when everyone sleeps as long as possible

Disagree with 'professional' passengers on BA1. Depending on the day of the week and time of year, there is high level of leisure passengers; myself included.

LCY is quicker for me to get to/from and less time needed at airport.

I always use my laptop/iPad for me IFE so that is not an issue for me although I do miss the flightmap.

ESFLYER95 May 21, 2015 5:59 am

Personally for me Its LCY when possible all the time. With the lounges at LHR being really nothing special I don't miss that aspect of it and I quite enjoy the little gate lounge for a few minutes. Food is better onboard and generally better service. There is also no temptation for a UUA to first!

Are you connecting in the US? If so that could be a big factor in your decision.

sts603 May 21, 2015 6:00 am

Also better food

bulkhead May 21, 2015 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Bloomsbury (Post 24848596)
+ 'professional' passengers

- 'professional' passengers

Swanhunter May 21, 2015 6:04 am

Yes. The preclearance alone makes it worthwhile.

gustavmahler May 21, 2015 6:14 am

Not flown the babybus myself. What is the seat width like when in bed mode? I find CW very narrow at the shoulders and so would always opt for AA 77W given the choice. I sleep much better as a result.

Iamnotlost May 21, 2015 6:24 am

I like the "little" plane (as it is known in my house), the service is very good, I feel it is spacious and I prefer the small lounge at LCY.
Not so fond of the ipad entertainment and my verdict is out on the pre-clearance. I find it aggravating to get off the plane and get back on again. Then again, I haven't had to do immigration at JFK so might change my mind pretty quick once I have done that.

What I really don't like is the hassle of getting to LCY: train+tube+dlr+bag(s)= a bad start to my day.

I have done it up to now for the extra TPs and have a couple more flights booked which are hopefully going to net the extra TPs. After that I'll probably go via LHR which is much easier to get to.

From an "unprofessional" traveller.

LondonAndy May 21, 2015 6:24 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn (Post 24848624)
I rather like the LCY Gate 24 lounge. It does feel like a private club in there.

I must make sure I don't join your club then :p;). I don't think that there is a single spare seat at the gate if the flight is full, so it isn't as relaxed as the Flounge at LHR where I've always been able to find a quiet corner.

I too live closer to LCY than LHR. The TPs used to sway it for me but, given that I've got Global Entry the advantage of the BA1/3 has disappeared. On the way back from JFK the lounge access and slightly longer flight time (so more sleep) still gives it the edge imho.

Hoch May 21, 2015 6:25 am

Whilst the less TPs may make it less attractive along with others, I think pre-clearance, better catering and the seat make the babybus stand out. I also would always prefer going to LCY over LHR as it is more convenient.

The only real downside is that there seems to be more operational issues lately (purely anecdotal on my part; over the past 12-18 months).

H

gcuk May 21, 2015 6:25 am

I think the extra TPs were just the icing on the cake.
For me, the consistently excellent crews on the LCY route still give it the edge.

Often1 May 21, 2015 6:28 am

Time is money and time is counted door-to-door. Thus, LCY. Stress is also a factor and JFK arrival as a domestic pax is close to incalculable as a benefit.

Bloomsbury May 21, 2015 6:43 am

Glad to see the positive responses towards LCY.

By 'professional' I didn't mean anything disrespectful btw... just experienced some rowdy stag groups and badly behaved children in CW from Heathrow... which I imagine is less likely for LCY.

eefor jfp May 21, 2015 6:52 am

Can someone explain to me how pre-clearance saves time if it involves an extra stop in Ireland? Looking at the BA timetable it says that the 0945 LCY flight arrives at JFK at 1355. The 0940 flight from LHR arrives at 1210. That's 1:45 minutes longer than if you just cleared customs at JFK to be at the same "door-to-door" overall time frame (OK, maybe not counting that LCY check-in is faster than LHR check-in). Plus you still have to wait for your bags (if you check them) with the LCY flight even if you don't have to deal with immigration.

Maybe having global entry means that I am jaded but does it really take someone 1:45 to clear US immigration at JFK?