Cost vs Quality - times are changing?

Old May 14, 2015, 3:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
Cost vs Quality - times are changing?

After the many recent discussions on here about the supposed worsening of the product (I mainly fly short haul in Y and long haul in CW for work and still find BA as good if not better than most airlines on my routes) I saw this article in the Economist and it will be interesting to see if any of the major airlines use the new technology to more more upmarket.

Economist Article

I suspect a lot of the discussions on here will be increasingly replicated by the 'normal world' - whereas today the information is hidden for people who do not fly a lot.

Personally I agree with the comments below the article - there is probably some scope in the Y sectors for a small premium for service, and this will help make the message clearer. I think this type of rating will struggle in the CW type environment where the cost of service will probably be much higher (or at least will be marketed as such!)

Does anyone agree?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old May 14, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
Thanks for posting that.

It's something we've been saying on here for a while - the race to the bottom on pricing and to hell with the service & comfort.

The sooner the passenger is able to fight back effectively by revealing the reality of the onboard experience the better. Only then will airlines strive to make the experience more bearable.

Search engines simply giving the cheapest price have influenced BA and others to decimate the service so some return of balance will be most welcome.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Without going into any detail, I found that routehappy.com they mentioned quite interesting. Whilst it may not be 100% accurate, or reflect personal preferences, it at least adds a further dimension to holiday route-planning without having to wade through the mysteries on Matrix!
Old May 14, 2015, 4:56 am

The most astonishing thing in that article are the statistics about how few people book online:

In 2012, 53% of airline ticket revenue in America was booked online, including airlines’ own sites, according to PhocusWright, a travel-research firm. That is expected to rise to 56% by 2016. In Europe the share was 31% in 2012 and is projected to hit 36% next year.
Who on earth are all these numpties (over 60% in Europe!) who aren't buying online?!

Surely there can't be that many FTers buying AA coded flights to HNL over the phone with BA to ensure max TPs.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M SEN, EK Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
The most astonishing thing in that article are the statistics about how few people book online:

Who on earth are all these numpties (over 60% in Europe!) who aren't buying online?!
Wonder if that is the corporate travel market? How much would that be? Can't be all of it, but might be another 30%? As you say, do the others use high street travel agents?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Old May 14, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by Manx Flyer
Wonder if that is the corporate travel market? How much would that be? Can't be all of it, but might be another 30%? As you say, do the others use high street travel agents?

Cheers

Manx Flyer
Or Expedia etc? (over the phone for anything complex)
Old May 14, 2015, 5:42 am

Apparently easyJet sells 97% of its tickets online. Would be interesting to know the BA figures.

I imagine some corporate bookings are still done over the phone but surely most of that is now online too?
Old May 14, 2015, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Apparently easyJet sells 97% of its tickets online. Would be interesting to know the BA figures.

I imagine some corporate bookings are still done over the phone but surely most of that is now online too?
No. Few corporate bookings are plain vanilla 'book the cheapest non-refundable'.

BA has multiple fare buckets in each class for a reason and you often end up needing a particular one given your position on cancelling etc. You may also book a return where each leg has different flexibility, eg the outbound can be fixed but the return must be flex or semi-flex. This is not easily done online.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
No. Few corporate bookings are plain vanilla 'book the cheapest non-refundable'.
So if it is a 'no', what proportion do you think it is? A no doesn't pass the sniff test, corporate travel portals are perfectly able to show different carriers, options which are in and out of policy and also allow you to change the fare of the flights you've selected.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raffles

So if it is a 'no', what proportion do you think it is? A no doesn't pass the sniff test, corporate travel portals are perfectly able to show different carriers, options which are in and out of policy and also allow you to change the fare of the flights you've selected.
Might it depend on how one defines "online"? My corporate bookings are done through an internal website where I'm presented with a menu of approved carriers and can pick my flight times. So to me it feels like "online booking." But I recently discovered that there is a human intervention at some point before the ticket is issued, so that probably gets counted as an agency rather than online booking in the stats.
Old May 15, 2015, 1:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Not surprised. I learned last Monday that a friend from Uni who is coming to stay with us in NL for a weekend used a HSTA to book her itinerary:- BRS to AMS. The world of air travel is a mystery to her and I’m pretty sure we underestimate how knowledgeable people are on FT compared with so many others.

Try it: Just ask friends or colleagues what type of aircraft they flew on for their last holiday and most of them say “an orange one?”
Old May 15, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
Not surprised. I learned last Monday that a friend from Uni who is coming to stay with us in NL for a weekend used a HSTA to book her itinerary:- BRS to AMS. The world of air travel is a mystery to her and I’m pretty sure we underestimate how knowledgeable people are on FT compared with so many others.

Try it: Just ask friends or colleagues what type of aircraft they flew on for their last holiday and most of them say “an orange one?”
I'm a TA and try my darndest not to book domestic air at all and only sometimes do international air. I'll go so far as to send them a screen shot of what flights to book and they still want me to do it. So my limited experiences prove that you're right about most people not having the first clue on aircrafts and what metal they are actually flying etc.

There really are two prices, "cheap" and "least amount of agony".

J
Old May 15, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Perhaps it's a side effect of being a "Silver Surfer", but we have the time to micro-manage details thanks to FT and assorted other websites and fora

Plunging into the unknown is for young people, and the careless!
Old May 15, 2015, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Fly Baby

There's a big difference between not knowing about aircraft types, and not knowing about the internet.

None of my friends/acquaintances are on FT (so far as I know) but I have no doubt that every one of them would look up and book their own flights online.

The only exceptions would be for RTW/complicated multi-city itineraries, or to compare prices from e.g. Flight Centre against what they've already found online.

Corporate is obviously another matter and I guess it depends whether the booking agent system (my old firm used Chambers Travel IIRC) counts as an online booking or not in the stats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.