Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR-SYD/MEL-LHR annual trip. BA or someone else?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-SYD/MEL-LHR annual trip. BA or someone else?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
QF's product is very good IMO. If you want Avios then I would stick with BA, otherwise give Qantas a go because they are very good.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:59 pm

I've done QF to SYD before and would recommend. SQ/CX back. SQ suites SYD-SIN-HKG is a good deal miles wise (I used MR points for this). All 3 put BA F to shame. Doing EY there and QF back in Nov. Using AA miles it's only 100k LHR-AUH-SYD on EY F and 80k SYD-DXB-LHR QF F.
Old May 10, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
SQ.
Ahhh of course, I've flown them SIN-AKL, I really should have remembered that .

MU and KE do as well apparently, but I haven't flown either of them.

OP, I would go QF, SQ, EY, or EK. The EY Apartment is absolutely worth doing once, pushes the bar up higher than anything else that tickets exist for. But, some complaints of not great service when the F cabin is full, so I might wait just a little longer until the cabin crews have worked on it and adjusted accordingly. Also, I would do it if I could get the A380 all the way through with EY, the other F products aren't bad, just aren't as different and upscale as The Apartment. Otherwise, QF would be excellent, EK a little more variable from what I can tell but would also be excellent most times. SQ would also be excellent and you're experienced with the SIN layover.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Think you misread it. From the bottom of the page you linked to:
It's not very clear, and is sort of contradicted elsewhere on the webpage. But yes the meaning from that is that QF*EK will earn at the QF rate.

It states also that one could get TPs and Avios on any QF codeshare. Which I suspect is not what was intended!

Who wants to be the first to try for QF*AS?
Old May 10, 2015, 6:43 pm

We just came back SYD to LAX Club World and it was head and shoulders above our usual Club World (421) IAD to LHR.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by DANNYB111
Yes - posting in a delerious state - meant ICN not IAD!
QF doesn't fly there either, so not sure how you made it a "preferred route".
Old May 10, 2015, 7:20 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
I flew in Y booked on the QF code on the EK flight from AKL to SYD and I got the TPs and miles. It actually wasn't too bad. IFE was good and meal better than a CE meal.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:26 am

Even on a 777 or a 340, I'd go for EY - in J or F.

EY Ground handling/arrangements can make BA seem like a paragon of slick efficiency, but on board I find them very agreeable.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by bensyd
QF doesn't fly there either, so not sure how you made it a "preferred route".
Codeshare with Asiana.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
QF F on the A380 (the only place they offer it now) was great until they changed to fly through DXB, an airport (and country) I will not willingly transfer through. It's still nice on the SYD/MEL-LAX route.

BA/CX via HKG is a good second choice.

BA F on the 777 is still a pretty good product. If I was forking out the regular rate of hard earned cash I might be picky, but if I was using any sort of 2-4-1 or ex-EU cheapness (try ex-OSL) then BA via SIN would look good to me.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:48 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I have done QF to SYD several times in J and would always take BAs service over QFs when flying alone. When flying as a family QF can be wonderful though.

And I know we always bring this up and there is always a debate and perceptions are different but the portions of food on QF are just not big enough on long flights. I am hungry for long periods.

As for EK well if that means transit via Dubai then that's just a horrid way to get down to SYD.
Old May 11, 2015, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How is going via DXB any better or worse than Singapore

One is 3421 miles plus 7481 miles and the other is 6765 miles plus 3908 miles

Have trouble seeing how this makes much difference in the duration of the 2 sectors - just reverses whether long sector is at the start or the end on a r/t journey

Connecting in DXB in concourse C is pretty painless

I would take EK well ahead of QF for this route though would be more likely to look at apartments on EY
Old May 11, 2015, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How is going via DXB any better or worse than Singapore

One is 3421 miles plus 7481 miles and the other is 6765 miles plus 3908 miles

Have trouble seeing how this makes much difference in the duration of the 2 sectors - just reverses whether long sector is at the start or the end on a r/t journey
I totally disagree - short hop first means it's very difficult to sleep coming into SYD
Old May 11, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
I usually find EK fares to and from Oz are competitive. Currently offering £5500 pp to Mel and £5700pp to Syd in F. Reasonably flexible in that they can be changed for £200 or £300 and cancelled for around £400. Generally I have found the aircraft and service pretty good. May not be a major concern but the number of EK and QF flights gives good protection in case of IRROPS which may or may not be the case for BA in Australia.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: AA: Life time PLT; HH Diamond
QF every time...

Always had superb service in FIRST, 2A on QF, the A380 from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.