Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Argument at T5 South Security over secondary BP (Marketing/Statistics) scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argument at T5 South Security over secondary BP (Marketing/Statistics) scanner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by Misco60
A few weeks ago I politely declined to scan my boarding pass a second time on the grounds that there were still 8 people in front of me, trays waiting to be scanned were piling up and it would not be a fair record of how long I had spent waiting at security. The operative (whose sole job was to make sure that passengers scanned their BPs) told me that if I did not do so she would make sure that my bag was sent down the secondary screening lane and that I would be kept waiting for "at least" half an hour. I didn't back down, and had no problems getting through.
So you were threatened that youll get secondary screening? Is that even allowed? I would have made a big fuss

Is the other way round true too...so if you had scanned you wouldn't get secondary screening...even if the x ray showed that you needed one? jeeezzzzzzz

If this happened to me..I wouldn't be happy at all.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I went through on Friday night to connect on a nearly on time NCL service via North (should have gone through First Lounge instead, but at that hour North is usually quick). This was in the aftermath of the #Beast and HAL had just 3 lines for connecting passengers. All 3 scanners I could see were out of service: "I think it's broken sir". By Monday they were all fixed. A wee note has been sent to the CAA.
Thanks @cws...do let us know what the response is!

I will scan my boarding pass every single time that I have been held up in a queue!!
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by KARFA
I am beginning to warm to the chap
I wonder why he wasn't using the first wing? I can't believe he's the type of boss who wants to try out the experience ordinary passengers go through.

No secondary scanners in the first wing, wonder if it's because they don't think it's a good idea to ask to scan your boarding pass a third time in close succession, the figures from the first wing would really help bring down their average wait times though.

Before the first wing my policy was to scan the boarding pass if I thought security was genuinely being efficient at the time, if they tried to get me to scan it when I was stuck in a long queue I'd just scan an out of date boarding pass on my phone, if it was covered over I'd try and scan it if I was waiting.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:37 am

Must remember to hold onto an old Easyjet BP for the next time.....
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by kosy91
Is the other way round true too...so if you had scanned you wouldn't get secondary screening...even if the x ray showed that you needed one?
No, I don't think that was the case.

It's likely that bags can be sent down the secondary screening line on a whim, but unthinkable that they would knowingly allow a suspicious bag to go through unsearched.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:44 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60
A few weeks ago I politely declined to scan my boarding pass a second time on the grounds that there were still 8 people in front of me, trays waiting to be scanned were piling up and it would not be a fair record of how long I had spent waiting at security. The operative (whose sole job was to make sure that passengers scanned their BPs) told me that if I did not do so she would make sure that my bag was sent down the secondary screening lane and that I would be kept waiting for "at least" half an hour. I didn't back down, and had no problems getting through.
I had a very similar experience before the First Wing opened, on one of the last occasions I used North Fast Track. The female employee was exceptionally rude and aggressive bordering on threatening when I declined to scan my boarding pass.

In spite of having some pretty shoddy experiences at T5 security in the past, that remains the one and only occasion I have felt the need to ask for a supervisor and make a complaint. When I pointed our the woman responsible the expression on the supervisor's face and tone of his voice suggested that perhaps this was a regular occurrence.

I hope you also complain, even if it's after the fact. Heathrow needs to put a stop to these bully boy tactics, and fast.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simon1234567
Must remember to hold onto an old Easyjet BP for the next time.....
In my Apple Wallet I've still got a United boarding pass from the T2 trials (I entered the details from my trial boarding pass into the UA app and surprisingly for an imaginary flight it produced a boarding pass, so the trial flights must have been connected to actual systems).

There's lots of things in my Apple Wallet I could try. HEX e-tickets? I'm happy to help in stats collecting when they're being honest, but this isn't the case here. I'm not disabling bluetooth (are they still tracking that) as that should be a fairer measure of how long I've actually spent in security.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I'm not disabling bluetooth (are they still tracking that) as that should be a fairer measure of how long I've actually spent in security.
They track(ed) us with bluetooth?! Never heard of that before - how did that work?
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltus
They track(ed) us with bluetooth?! Never heard of that before - how did that work?
I think the answer is in this thread somewhere (or a similar thread). Apparently positioned around different points in security were bluetooth scanners that could detect any listening bluetooth devices. This meant they could have a reasonably decent idea of when people entered the security area and left.

TfL did a similar trial with WiFi (which is why I'm wondering whether it was a trial at LHR) - the TfL trial was useful in determining the different routes people took between two points.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I had a very similar experience before the First Wing opened, on one of the last occasions I used North Fast Track. The female employee was exceptionally rude and aggressive bordering on threatening when I declined to scan my boarding pass.

In spite of having some pretty shoddy experiences at T5 security in the past, that remains the one and only occasion I have felt the need to ask for a supervisor and make a complaint. When I pointed our the woman responsible the expression on the supervisor's face and tone of his voice suggested that perhaps this was a regular occurrence.

I hope you also complain, even if it's after the fact. Heathrow needs to put a stop to these bully boy tactics, and fast.
Agreed. I also complained after one member threatened me by saying I would be refused boarding if I did not scan the BP. I replied I would take my chances and went through, to complain afterward. The supervisor seems to take this seriously: she acknowledged the employees "did not say the truth as this does not impact boarding" and took his name.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
He added that “I wouldn’t believe anything that’s written in the FT.”
Maybe it's his Spanish - he probably meant "FT" rather than "the FT", because he doesn't like us criticising his management strategy on here...

Edit: I'm sure I posted this in response to another post quoting Alex Cruz! That seems to have now disappeared...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:13 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
There's lots of things in my Apple Wallet I could try. HEX e-tickets? I'm happy to help in stats collecting when they're being honest, but this isn't the case here. I'm not disabling bluetooth (are they still tracking that) as that should be a fairer measure of how long I've actually spent in security.
Maybe a BP from the previous morning
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Do tell us what this object is; "a solid that shatters but will not melt" sounds a bit of a riddle to me. Worthy of Turandot.
Carbon Dioxide? That will form a solid when cooled, which can be shattered with impact: if you warm it up, it won’t become a liquid, instead it will sublime straight to a gas. (Assuming standard pressure).

Not sure you are allowed that in carry-on luggage though...

Last edited by jbfield; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:50 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm not disabling bluetooth (are they still tracking that) as that should be a fairer measure of how long I've actually spent in security.
Depends how long the queues are, presumably. 🔌
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by boutela
Depends how long the queues are, presumably. 🔌
and whether that measuring system is "broken" when the queues are long ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.