Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Argument at T5 South Security over secondary BP (Marketing/Statistics) scanner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Argument at T5 South Security over secondary BP (Marketing/Statistics) scanner

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
Originally Posted by Deltus
They track(ed) us with bluetooth?! Never heard of that before - how did that work?
Finavia, Helsinki airport operator uses this technology: https://www.finavia.fi/en/airports/h...l-waiting-time
They publish live data and stats of passenger flow, so you can pick the quickest security check any given time. Live data is available on their mobile app as well.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by layz
I think the answer is in this thread somewhere (or a similar thread). Apparently positioned around different points in security were bluetooth scanners that could detect any listening bluetooth devices. This meant they could have a reasonably decent idea of when people entered the security area and left.

TfL did a similar trial with WiFi (which is why I'm wondering whether it was a trial at LHR) - the TfL trial was useful in determining the different routes people took between two points.
going slightly off topic (sorry) it's also potentially used at less savoury border control posts to associate your phone's bluetooth and wifi with your passport allowing you to be tracked in country.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tinkicker
going slightly off topic (sorry) it's also potentially used at less savoury border control posts to associate your phone's bluetooth and wifi with your passport allowing you to be tracked in country.
In itself not really an issue unless you intend to do something said country's authorities would frown upon... in which case, you'd better have solider OpSec than just turning off your bluetooth
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
To add to the lies spun at this secondary scan, I was told it was for my security so they knew where I was in the airport...

To which I replied, if that was true you would need them all over the place... the entrance to every toilet block, when I take the lift to the Transit, when I enter the transit etc.
And why is there only ever this concern when the queues and the wait times are short.

Add the that I have put my phone away in a pocket as I am ready go through security and I am human so only have 2 hands for coat bag etc - I know it is a serious limitation.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
As a matter of interest, to what extent are we as passengers obliged to follow the instructions of various uniformed people at LHR ?

I'm guessing the catchall paragraph 3.2.1 of the HAL Byelaws applies, viz.:

"3.21 Obstruction No person shall intentionally obstruct or interfere with the proper use of the Airport or with any person acting in the execution of his duty in relation to the operation of the Airport."

I guess they might argue that directing you to scan your BP again is within the execution of the member of staff's duty. Don't know what sanctions are available to them in the event of non-compliance though...
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Deltus
Maybe it's his Spanish - he probably meant "FT" rather than "the FT", because he doesn't like us criticising his management strategy on here...

Edit: I'm sure I posted this in response to another post quoting Alex Cruz! That seems to have now disappeared...
yes...my post has disappeared. don't know why
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just seen this tweet. If anyone does have any concerns or complaints, maybe speak to the person in charge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.