Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Surname Issue - How Important When Flying Partner Airlines?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:27 am
Original Poster

I have an issue with my BA account in that my profile has my surname as M instead of Mr. It is a field in my online profile that has a drop down option that I can select the correct surname, but it does not let me actually save the profile. I have called BA a few months ago to have this corrected, which they state they would update in their system on their end. So far has not materialized. I am not overly concerned about flying on BA as I have already notified them of this error, but my concern is flying on partner airlines and this surname not being recognized by their system and getting incorporated as part of my name actual name.

This issue popped up when I booked a JAL flight and was trying to select a seat online. I tried logging in with my name and booking number to select a seat, but continued to get an error through their website. I finally called JAL who was able to find my reservation, but indicated that my first name was incorrect and ended with an M. So my name was showing up as DaveM . The agent stated that normally on surnames such as Mr./Mrs. that is how it will show up but the system will automatically ignore this and it will drop off. The agent at JAL seemed concerned and told me that I should contact BA to have this corrected.

When I called BA about this, they indicated that in order to make such changes to the ticket, the entire ticket needs to be cancelled and reissued with a $85.00 fee. As it is an award redemption, my concern becomes whether the seat will be available once it gets redeposited into the bucket.

Legitimate concern or don't even worry about it? Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by absolutboy20
I have an issue with my BA account in that my profile has my surname as M instead of Mr. It is a field in my online profile that has a drop down option that I can select the correct surname, but it does not let me actually save the profile. I have called BA a few months ago to have this corrected, which they state they would update in their system on their end. So far has not materialized. I am not overly concerned about flying on BA as I have already notified them of this error, but my concern is flying on partner airlines and this surname not being recognized by their system and getting incorporated as part of my name actual name.

This issue popped up when I booked a JAL flight and was trying to select a seat online. I tried logging in with my name and booking number to select a seat, but continued to get an error through their website. I finally called JAL who was able to find my reservation, but indicated that my first name was incorrect and ended with an M. So my name was showing up as DaveM . The agent stated that normally on surnames such as Mr./Mrs. that is how it will show up but the system will automatically ignore this and it will drop off. The agent at JAL seemed concerned and told me that I should contact BA to have this corrected.

When I called BA about this, they indicated that in order to make such changes to the ticket, the entire ticket needs to be cancelled and reissued with a $85.00 fee. As it is an award redemption, my concern becomes whether the seat will be available once it gets redeposited into the bucket.

Legitimate concern or don't even worry about it? Thanks in advance.
Forgive me if ive misunderstood but do you mean last name or as im assuming do you mean "title" like miss/ms/mr/sir Etc?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

The OP means "title", not "surname", I think.

It is not a problem at all. "M" is the French equivalent of "Mr", anyway, so there is no gender issue. The fact it comes at the end of your name on tickets and boarding passes is neither here nor there. I appear as "SURNAMEPAULMR", but "Mr" is not part of my name. It's just a title.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.