Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios Costs to upgrade pre-devaluation J booking to F

Old Apr 29, 15, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker

I have two return CW LHR-KUL seats booked for next February. Ideally I would have preferred to have had my first First experience but there were ( and still are ) no award seats available when I booked. I am hoping nearer the time a couple of F seats get freed up and I can UG with more avios.

But what will it cost and does it now depend on if its peak/off peak? Ideally I would choose the outbound leg on the 10th of Feb but will leave it to the seat fairies to see whats what nearer the time..

Cheers in advance... SSB
Old Apr 29, 15, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob View Post
I have two return CW LHR-KUL seats booked for next February. Ideally I would have preferred to have had my first First experience but there were ( and still are ) no award seats available when I booked. I am hoping nearer the time a couple of F seats get freed up and I can UG with more avios.

But what will it cost and does it now depend on if its peak/off peak? Ideally I would choose the outbound leg on the 10th of Feb but will leave it to the seat fairies to see whats what nearer the time..

Cheers in advance... SSB
Any booking made pre-April 28th and changed after will have the pre-April 28th rates applied.
Old Apr 29, 15, 9:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite View Post
Any booking made pre-April 28th and changed after will have the pre-April 28th rates applied.
Which I can 100% confirm as the flight I've been wanting to upgrade for weeks finally had availibility open up today. Had to call in though, when trying to do it online it told me that this type of booking cannot be upgraded on BA.com - that wasn't happening last week, so assume this is a result of the changes
Old Apr 29, 15, 9:56 am

I had this scenario yesterday when a F seat opened up for my retrun from Dubai that was booked in J. It was 20K to upgrade to F plus the change fee (thieves) plus a refun on taxes so it worked out about 15 give or take.

It's during peak time and was also a change in date and flight number (althoguh same route).
Old Apr 29, 15, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm currently booked in CW to EWR (New York) in December. Availability has opened up in F to JFK, for 20k avios and change fee will I be able to change the flight to LHR-JFK in F?

Many thanks
Old Apr 29, 15, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
This is just a bit of a rant about underhand releasing of award inventory now the devaluation has happened....

7 F seats KUL-LHR now showing on Aug 10th and 6 F on Aug 11th....

They weren't there last week.
Old Apr 29, 15, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
This is just a bit of a rant about underhand releasing of award inventory now the devaluation has happened....
Well I posted that very suggestion last week and someone immediately suggested I needed a cushion to punch to "let go of [my] anger toward BA"!

Hey ho. Not one of those cases where you feel particularly good having been proved right
Old Apr 29, 15, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by FastTrak2Elite View Post
Thanks for your replies one and all..

So, bear with me whilst I think out loud.... I had an Amex 2-4-1 and paid 140k avios for my two CW seats LHR-KUL-LHR.. Now back before the devaluation the First was 210k avios meaning that I need another find just 35k per leg assuming the seats open up?

I am also right to understand that if seats do open up in the days after or before my reward flight I feasibly could swap my booking to these newer dates with only a modest change of booking fee.

Sounds pretty good to me..

SSB
Old Apr 29, 15, 12:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by shorthauldad View Post
Well I posted that very suggestion last week and someone immediately suggested I needed a cushion to punch to "let go of [my] anger toward BA"!

Hey ho. Not one of those cases where you feel particularly good having been proved right
Agreed. Likewise. On top of that, I assume that any availability "blip" is just that and is intended to be used to prove the "spin" put on the changes by BA. All will return to normal before long. As I said then, I would love to be proved wrong. Let's see.
Old Apr 29, 15, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Would this also be possible for a booking made via avios.com? I had a Lloyds one class upgrade voucher to use, which presumably I'd get back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: