Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
It would be interesting to find out (in reality BA would never release the data) the proportion of Silvers that achieve Silver by the number of sectors rather than Tier Points.

It could work out that a Silver for life could be someone who has done a lot of flying, not necessarily in premium cabins. Based on the rough idea of 20-25 years to achieve GfL / GGfL based on hitting the normal renewal level then SfL could be based on sectors rather than Tier Points. On this basis it could be for flying say 1250 sectors with BA (not OneWorld). Compared to 250 flights (in Club World) to achieve GfL.

I know that in my case under this scenario I'm much closer to GfL than a hypothetical SfL, having only flown on BA a paltry 186 times!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
That is not that simple to be honest...
I do enjoy reading your lengthy posts, it’s sometimes better than wasting time reading a tabloid! Take that a compliment I guess I could say that about most of FT BAEC.

Anyway, I have wondered having been Silver and not yet attained Gold myself, whether reaching SfL would negate any reason or motivation to reach GfL.

You would certainly get the organic pax that would continue to achieve status and reach GfL but maybe not through their own want. However if you reach the hyperthetical 25K TP’s for SfL and the given benefits are locked in for the remainder of the lifetime period (whatever that is), how many pax would be motivated to then push on to the next For-Life Tier. Silver gives you quite a nice benefit cushion, the silver vs good debate becomes a little less convincing when the difference is 10000 TP’s. Many may say “what’s the point?!” as per the many threads we see on here “Should I go for gold?!”

Therefore, my own wonderment is, if BA were to introduce SfL would this simply mean cannibalising their GfL Tier. But maybe my lack of understanding the true value of gold is clouding my judgement here and the value passengers ‘like’ about being a goldie!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Therefore, my own wonderment is, if BA were to introduce SfL would this simply mean cannibalising their GfL Tier. But maybe my lack of understanding the true value of gold is clouding my judgement here and the value passengers ‘like’ about being a goldie!
There you highlight the everlasting conundrum. There will be innumerable perspectives, as reflected in the ‘Going for Gold’ discussions you m;entioned.

To highlight a couple:
Some will progress simply because of work or lifestyle patterns, with little regard for the outcome.
Others will inevitably seek to achieve higher status for their individually perceived benefits.

The issue for BA, whether considering SfL or GfL, is whether those individuals continue to use BA or a JV partner, or take the opportunity to explore pastures new with other alliances/carriers. IMO, any ilifetime status with BA carries a risk that that past loyalty may transfer to disloyalty once the status has been acquired. That may indeed apply more to those who regularly fly F or J, where the ‘cabin benefits’ carry with them many of the ‘status benefits’.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by T8191
The issue for BA, whether considering SfL or GfL, is whether those individuals continue to use BA or a JV partner, or take the opportunity to explore pastures new with other alliances/carriers. IMO, any ilifetime status with BA carries a risk that that past loyalty may transfer to disloyalty once the status has been acquired. That may indeed apply more to those who regularly fly F or J, where the ‘cabin benefits’ carry with them many of the ‘status benefits’.
I understand that I am over simplifying the situation and agree with everything said by posts above. To that extent maybe using lifetime TP is not the solution to the problem.

But it does seem to me that in terms of a loyalty program as it currently stands BAEC overly favours LH flying while not even requiring too much loyalty to BA. Where as with SH flying there are limited ways to earn BAEC status with other carriers yet plenty of other options not to fly BA. Therefore someone earning status this way is spending (in some cases very large amounts for few TP) specifically with BA and not a partner while choosing BA over other carriers. In short I would suggest that SH customers maintaining statues are MORE loyal then some, maybe even most LH customers.

In my case 95% of my flying is SH, in most years I make silver, very occasionally I make gold. But sometimes I only make bronze. In the periods that I make Silver and Gold 100% of my flying (routes permitting) is with BA (including my personal travel), but at times when I am bronze and not likely to make silver by the end of the period this drops to around 50%-60% based simply on the cost of the individual flights with required extras (luggage etc). A long term goal (such as SFL dependant on the criteria) would certainly change this. I understand that BA is not going to change for me, but I know that my situation is far from unique.

As I said maybe using lifetime TP is not the solution to the problem, use of OW partners distorts actual loyalty to BA specifically.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I disagree that lifetime status carries that risk. If you get SfL or GfL and you don't continue to fly BA, then you also don't benefit from lifetime status. why get SfL if you don't intend to use it?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Akoz ... nearly all our holidays are l/h, in J, with the inevitable s/h connection from JER. Comparing TP earning between the two, s/h TP per kmile wins hands down!!

Frayed_Yak ... a valid point. But if SfL/GfL arrives ‘free’, through business travel, there’s no loss. And subsequnt flights in Premium cabins on other carriers bring their own benefits.

I agree completely that it’s a complex equation, and only the individual and his/her personal circumstances can determine the answer.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
As my 'lifetime' is somewhat inhibited by my age, I have no personal interest in the prospect!

That said, if LTS would cost BA more than, say, Ł180.47 per annum, globally, I doubt I will see it being introduced in MY lifetime. Younger subscribers here will clearly have a different view.

BA is no longer the benevolent old Uncle we used to know. Instead, he has morphed into a penny-pinching old Grandfather (the image of Private Fraser from Dad's Army flashes across my mind) who cares naught for anyone or anything except scraping money from every corner of his existence, and shovelling it into a tin under the bed.
and the dull sound of BA bashing continues......
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Will100

and the dull sound of BA bashing continues......
Sorry, are you suggesting that BA is perfect, and matches the expectations presented by its advertising? I’ve only travelled about 0.25 million miles on BA ... you have a different view, obviously. Woukd you care to elaborate?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by onobond
...but why stop there? There is at least one (very frequent) poster in the BA FT forum that seems to be aiming at Lifetime Blue

This Blue has flown BA since I was knee high to a haggis and will continue to do so as long as it suits me. I might even be more valuable to BA than someone with status.

As for rewarding loyalty. I personally would like to see those who spend their money and fly with BA being rewarded the most....they're the ones who deserve it!!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Sleeping around - a blessing or a curse?

Enforced infidelity due to job moves / relocations...

8 years as KLM/AF Plat Elite (therefore missing out on lifetime status)

7 years as BA Gold followed by intermittent Silver (approx 30 years from LTG at current run rate)

10 years as Aer Lingus Elite/Concierge (lifetime status not offered)

End result is probable FF bachelorhood (divorcee?) status in retirement.

Blessing or curse?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Over 60's

Was on the phone with BAEC customer service the other day. He said that BAEC had been considering a type of Silver for Life status for frequent fliers over 60, but hadn't heard further on it.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by skye1
Was on the phone with BAEC customer service the other day. He said that BAEC had been considering a type of Silver for Life status for frequent fliers over 60, but hadn't heard further on it.

Sounds agest to me and thats why we prob havn't heard it again?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:39 pm
Suspended

If it keeps them flying BA and not booking late deals on TUI package holidays when they retire, then could help fill those narrow seat B777s at off peak dates from LGW.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC
Why just over 60’s?

Thats a little unfair. If you earn let’s say 28,000 tier points (the ‘made up’ magical threshold) for lifetime silver at age 50 or even 40, but your not entitled to it because you’re not 60, that doesn’t really make sense. Does it?
Old Aug 31, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Grey for life perhaps?
alex67500 and plunet like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.