Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime Silver - Will BA ever introduce it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I have 34,985 lifetime tier points so I'm sweating a little about rule changes in the two weeks before my next J longhaul....
dcmike, alex67500 and HighwayToHEL like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:45 pm
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
I’d put money on them discontinuing gold for life before they introduce silver for life...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by thebigben
I personally doubt it - as a lifetime programme BA G4L is not that expensive to attain if you keep in mind the lowest reasonable possible costs, my estimates are as follows:
- BA Gold for Life ~ Ł52.5k
I'm sure I've probably spent that much in a year just to get gold never mind GFL!!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The thing is: GfL (And other similar programmes on other airlines) are not actually intended to reward anything (despite the official framing). They are about incentivising people in earlier parts of their flying lives to fly more with you.

In that sense I very much doubt SfL at 25k would make sense because anyone early on who can conceive reaching 25k at some distant point in the future can also conceive reaching 35k and so from the airline’s point of view it makes more sense to push them there. In a way, by the time anyone consider 25k is within grasp but 35k would be inachievable, they are no longer a major target for ba.

I also suspect that for the airline, paying for the benefits of silver or gold is only a minor difference as lounge costs will be quite similar in most stations, and even for passengers, the two levels are not hugely different with both giving network wide lounge access priority seating access, fast track and some luggage bonus.
Swanhunter and wilsnunn like this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The thing is: GfL (And other similar programmes on other airlines) are not actually intended to reward anything (despite the official framing). They are about incentivising people in earlier parts of their flying lives to fly more with you.

In that sense I very much doubt SfL at 25k would make sense because anyone early on who can conceive reaching 25k at some distant point in the future can also conceive reaching 35k and so from the airline’s point of view it makes more sense to push them there. In a way, by the time anyone consider 25k is within grasp but 35k would be inachievable, they are no longer a major target for ba.

I also suspect that for the airline, paying for the benefits of silver or gold is only a minor difference as lounge costs will be quite similar in most stations, and even for passengers, the two levels are not hugely different with both giving network wide lounge access priority seating access, fast track and some luggage bonus.
As somebody who is in their mid 20s, I very much hope and expect to be able to reach GFL within my lifetime, although if I was keeping up my 600-700 TPs per year, it would take me nearly 60 years! I would have thought that it was very achievable (assuming no changes) for somebody who stays with BA from early on in their flying lives and ends up as gold and GGL for a few years (5 or so)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
if it gets introduced I do not see why it would need to be lifetime points based

There would be nothing to stop BA saying something like :

anyone who has been Bronze or higher for 20 years gets lifetime bronze
anyone who has been silver or higher for 15 years gets lifetime sliver...
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
if it gets introduced I do not see why it would need to be lifetime points based

There would be nothing to stop BA saying something like :

...but why stop there? There is at least one (very frequent) poster in the BA FT forum that seems to be aiming at Lifetime Blue
TeflonMan likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Maybe I’m missing something obvious but why would you require more years of constant bronze to be bronze than years of constant silver to be silver?

Also note that 20 years of bare goldness would not get you GfL (20*1500=30,000) so same question about making things - in a way - potentially more gentle for silver to silver for life than gold to gold for life.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

Maybe I’m missing something obvious but why would you require more years of constant bronze to be bronze than years of constant silver to be silver?

Also note that 20 years of bare goldness would not get you GfL (20*1500=30,000) so same question about making things - in a way - potentially more gentle for silver to silver for life than gold to gold for life.
It was an general idea, I don't know why people get so hung up on the detail behind the idea.

The actual figures are just examples so someone so 20 years of bear goldness would not get you to GFL by the time you got to SFL, so what. You get the reward for SFL, keep flying and eventually get to GFL.

But anyway, my thinking in terms of bronze taking more years than silver was to reward more frequent flyers earlier. You could say I shou use the same logig with GFL. Ok so

GFL - 23.x years of at least Gold, SFL at 25 years of at least silver and BFL at 30 years at least bronze

Does that look better for you?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:12 am

It was an general idea, I don't know why people get so hung up on the detail behind the idea.

The actual figures are just examples so someone so 20 years of bear goldness would not get you to GFL by the time you got to SFL, so what. You get the reward for SFL, keep flying and eventually get to GFL.

But anyway, my thinking in terms of bronze taking more years than silver was to reward more frequent flyers earlier. You could say I shou use the same logig with GFL. Ok so

GFL - 23.x years of at least Gold, SFL at 25 years of at least silver and BFL at 30 years at least bronze

Does that look better for you?
About the detail, sorry if I misunderstood. My first point was not about actual numbers but about the fact I didn’t think S need < B need was random.

In in terms of the proposed solution, I’m still not convinced for the reason I mentioned earlier (ie for life programmes are not about rewarding people who do a certain thing but about incentivising people at earlier stages to fly you more than they would otherwise, and it doesn’t really achieve that) but to the extent that your logic would probably mean getting GGLfL after 15 years or so, that would certainly be in my interest!

More seriously, to be honest I’m not aware of any airline with two different for life schemes with different bases of calculation (though many may of course exist). I think what would make a lot more sense to me with your numbers of years logic might be to say something like every time you achieve 10 years of consecutive silver you get bonus avios or a guf1 (then click restarts at 0) and every time you achieve 10 cobsevutive years of gold more bonus avios or a guf2 (and then you give something bigger and better to 10 consecutive years of GGL). Again restart that bonus clock at 0 afterwards or make it every additional 5 years. As incentivisation i think it would likely work better.
abc193 likes this.

Last edited by orbitmic; Feb 8, 2019 at 3:19 am
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I’m still not convinced for the reason I mentioned earlier (ie for life programmes are not about rewarding people who do a certain thing but about incentivising people at earlier stages to fly you more than they would otherwise, and it doesn’t really achieve that)
I think it would - just at a lower threshold then those targeted by GFL. It may well encourage many leisure travelers to fly BA instead of U2 or other carriers. It could also encourage them to buy more into premium travel. CE instead of ET for example in order to build their TP quicker. The point being for lower frequency travelers GFL can and I imagine does feel like a irrelevance, where as a lower target level for a SFL could be seen as possible by altering their current travel habits (and probably pay a bit more then they otherwise would).
memesweeper likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:47 am

<snip> … I think what would make a lot more sense to me with your numbers of years logic might be to say something like every time you achieve 10 years of consecutive silver you get bonus avios or a guf1 (then click restarts at 0) and every time you achieve 10 cobsevutive years of gold more bonus avios or a guf2 (and then you give something bigger and better to 10 consecutive years of GGL). Again restart that bonus clock at 0 afterwards or make it every additional 5 years. As incentivisation i think it would likely work better.
Different from the topic of the thread but yes I agree this sort of idea has a lot of merit. There is a scheme with Hilton after<snip 5 stays you get 10000 extra points after the 5th stay the clock resets back to 0 and you go again.

I think there are many creative ways that BA (and other airlines) could use their FF program to incentivise people to fly more. For example something like the IHG accelerate program, meet these challenges over the next 6 months get X extra avios….
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Akoz
I think it would - just at a lower threshold then those targeted by GFL. It may well encourage many leisure travelers to fly BA instead of U2 or other carriers. It could also encourage them to buy more into premium travel. CE instead of ET for example in order to build their TP quicker. The point being for lower frequency travelers GFL can and I imagine does feel like a irrelevance, where as a lower target level for a SFL could be seen as possible by altering their current travel habits (and probably pay a bit more then they otherwise would).
As someone who made gold once, but makes Silver regularly with around 800 to 1000TP a year Gold can seem an irrelevance never mind GFL, CCR etc
Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I thought I would resurrect this in case anyone (relevant) at BA is following the Board. I have just hit 25k LT points and think this would be a perfect level for LTS

I think earlier posters maybe miss the main point. It would be to reward people like me who have been loyal BA flyers for many decades, with a relatively even spread of travel - in my case dating back long before TPs had even been introduced. One of my gripes is that I get no recognition for all the Concorde and TATL F trips I did before TPs were even a glimmer in Mr Hillier's eye - or maybe even before Mr Hillier was born

I have made Gold for many, years but even then I am not really that close to LTG. My problem is that retirement looms, and with it the end of the longhaul premium business flights. All I want is some little reward - by way of easy check-in and lounge access - to ease my wearied way through the airport on my ET holiday flights. Its not that much to ask after a lifetime's loyal flying !

So if anyone relevant is reading this, please do give it a thought ....
Quick comment - you probably already know this, but if any of those flights were tracked against an early Exec Club account before TP's were a thing (under, say, a different number to that which you've got now), you can get them to add the theoretical TP count to your current total. They were quite happy to do that with an old account of mine. (Though when I tried the same with my Dad's original 1980s EC account, they said they couldn't find any matching record...)
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:07 am

In in terms of the proposed solution, I’m still not convinced for the reason I mentioned earlier (ie for life programmes are not about rewarding people who do a certain thing but about incentivising people at earlier stages to fly you more than they would otherwise, and it doesn’t really achieve that) but to the extent that your logic would probably mean getting GGLfL after 15 years or so, that would certainly be in my interest!

More seriously, to be honest I’m not aware of any airline with two different for life schemes with different bases of calculation (though many may of course exist). I think what would make a lot more sense to me with your numbers of years logic might be to say something like every time you achieve 10 years of consecutive silver you get bonus avios or a guf1 (then click restarts at 0) and every time you achieve 10 cobsevutive years of gold more bonus avios or a guf2 (and then you give something bigger and better to 10 consecutive years of GGL). Again restart that bonus clock at 0 afterwards or make it every additional 5 years. As incentivisation i think it would likely work better.
Totally agree that the for life programmes are not meant as a "reward" for those that achieve it. From my experience, the only people I know who have reached these levels have always been through premium corporate travel and I can certainly see how it then becomes a goal to achieve GFL by flying with BA/OW even if only for status or prestige! And of the course the associated (corporate) customer loyalty that goes along with status at that level is presumably assumed by BA.

As someone in my early 20s, I stumbled into the FFP world a year or so ago myself and really do think that BAEC is one of the things that BA do very well already in comparison to some of the others that are available. The perks of silver/gold as far as check in/security/lounges/fast track etc all make the experience of flying a bit more comfortable whilst you''re on the ground but I would 100% be more incentivised by suggestions such as yours that would upgrade the experience in air.

That being said, I'd rather BA didn't go tinkling with their various tiers and rewards on offer, given I can only see that going one way..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.