FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Boston connection to BA LHR flight - time between terminals? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1673616-boston-connection-ba-lhr-flight-time-between-terminals.html)

aj411 Apr 20, 2015 2:17 pm

Boston connection to BA LHR flight - time between terminals?

I started with this on the AA/US forum but thought since connecting to a BA flight that this might be an equally appropriate place to ask this question.

We have a connection at BOS coming up in May with arrival at terminal B (US)and departure at E (BA to LHR). Two hours and 20 minutes between flights if all goes well.
The BA flight is a night flight and we are hoping to get dinner in the BA lounge before departing. Will we have time to get between terminals, through security again at E and still have time for dinner?
[first world problem I understand :-) but trying to figure out if the upgrade, partially for pre-flight dining, is worth it]

Thanks!

-AJ

KARFA Apr 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Yes, you should have time - although I will caveat my advice to say I have only done it once about two weeks ago.

I was on an inbound US flight to B arriving around 1700 and then outbound on the BA flight that leaves about 1910. I think the easiest ways are either walk across the parking garage - but you need to know the way which I didn't, or use the buses. There are actually quite a few inter-terminal buses you can get from B to E so any of 11, 88, 55, 66, and Silver Line should work. So if any of those turn up at B you can get them and they will either go directly to E or stop at C and then at E depending on route. I had a very quick security queue so I think from stepping of my US flight to getting airside at E was less than 30 minutes. I did the pre-flight dinning and still had about 30 mins before I headed upstairs to board.

I will add that others have had worse experiences of doing the same connection though, such as in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nl-newbie.html

squeeler Apr 20, 2015 4:55 pm

You should be fine. You can actually walk the connection if you wish through some corridors. That has always been my approach as I am master of my own destiny. Or of course you can jump on the Silver Line bus or some other means.

You can munch dinner until about 40 mins before departure. The food is generally pretty good, but beware the resident mice ( see other thread).

Enjoy!

aj411 Apr 20, 2015 6:27 pm

ok thanks (and, yikes!) will check that out.

-AJ

wideman Apr 20, 2015 7:43 pm

The best way is walking through the garage. From the US Airways terminal, follow the signs to Central Parking. (Don't follow the signs to 'Terminal B Parking'.) Once you're in the Central Parking garage, follow the signs to Terminal E. The walk from Terminal B to Terminal E via the garage is no more than 10-15 minutes, which includes some extra time to look around and figure out what's what.

Two potential issues with the buses: (1)They can be painfully slow. From US Airways, you'll stop at the other side of Terminal B and then at Terminal C, often spending plenty of time both in traffic and waiting for people to haul themselves, their luggage, and their darling tykes on and off the crowded bus. (2)Not all buses go to all terminals. Several make a loop that includes Terminal A, sides 1 and 2 of Terminal B, and then buzz off to the subway station and car rental place without stopping at Terms C & D.

KARFA Apr 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Any of the buses I listed go to E from B either directly or with one intermediate stop at C. If the go off to car parks or subway stations they do so after stopping at E.

TheBOSman Apr 20, 2015 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 24694336)
There are actually quite a few inter-terminal buses you can get from B to E so any of 11, 88, 55, 66, and Silver Line should work. So if any of those turn up at B you can get them and they will either go directly to E or stop at C and then at E depending on route.

Very accurate. 11 is best, it only goes among the terminals and is almost always empty.

Can walk as well, although US Airways B to Terminal E is a bit of a haul, particularly if having luggage.

OP, 2:20 should be enough time for the transfer, security, and a full lounge dinner. Enjoy! :)

flatlander Apr 21, 2015 2:50 am

I find the buses around the airport at Logan (BOS) to be reasonably efficient, though they do go around the houses. 20-30 mins is probably right for a B-E bus transfer.

Walking across the parking garage may look a bit unnerving, consult the terminal maps and you'll be fine. Or just walk via terminal C.

Food-wise there is a Legal Sea Foods land-side in Terminal B, another option if you feel you have the time. They serve pretty rapidly as you might expect. Definitely the best place to eat (non-lounge) in the airport!

Security is the usual TSA circus but usually reasonably fast in my experience (unlike the report above).

DocWatson Apr 21, 2015 4:27 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 24694336)
I will add that others have had worse experiences of doing the same connection though, such as in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nl-newbie.html

Thanks KARFA - I did have a worse experience. I arrived around 5.20pm (but went to the AA side Admirals Club for a shower) and went for a bus at around 6.10pm. A suitable bus (that didn't go to the car parks, water shuttle or subway connection) took 20 minutes to arrive. The matrix display said 11. I asked each driver that arrived in that time if they went to E but the answer was always negative. Once on board it was quick enough.

Second issue is security at Terminal E. It was 40 minutes in the Premium line because they let all the wheelchair passengers with their entourage, all staff and all late passengers cut in. With hindsight the general line is quicker.

So leaving the AA side of Terminal B to arriving at the BA lounge, according to my Swarm/Foursquare app, was 1h17. Once I got there the food offering wasn't great, 2 of the 4 buffet items plus all the carbohydrate accompaniments were '10-15 minutes away' according to the guy replenishing them. I would say, though, I was on the late flight and the evening one had just left, so it's not an unreasonable time to be replenishing supplies. I went up to the Durgin Park anyway for some of the Brick Red Sam Adams!

revan Apr 21, 2015 5:16 am

I'll add a +1 to walking - it's only about 600-700 yds across the car park. For the unitiated, the best way is probably to walk from terminal B to the far end of terminal A, then take the walkway across to central parking and then straight across to E.

Oriontube Apr 21, 2015 7:07 am

I think you should be totally fine especially if your checked baggage is going to be transferred automatically on to the next flight.

I had an approx. 120 mins layover in BOS and my flight from LAX arrived in 1 hr late, leaving me with 60 mins to prepare and get to Terminal E.
Internal transportation at BOS airport is very good and I was at the gate with 30 minutes to go.

Enjoy!

jimcbob Sep 17, 2016 3:00 pm

A question about doing this the other way round --

Flying BA from Heathrow to E, then connecting to Miami on AA from B (all on one ticket). I've got 2 hours so hopefully plenty of time?

I assume I will have to collect luggage and then recheck. Can I drop off in E (and, if so, where)? Or do I have to carry over to B?

I'd prefer to walk so presumably I just head to Central Parking and then follow signs for Terminal B?

Is security ok in B? I should have precheck from Global Entry.

Thanks for any help!

mAAine_flyer Sep 17, 2016 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by jimcbob (Post 27226129)

Flying BA from Heathrow to E, then connecting to Miami on AA from B (all on one ticket). I've got 2 hours so hopefully plenty of time?

I assume I will have to collect luggage and then recheck. Can I drop off in E (and, if so, where)? Or do I have to carry over to B?

I'd prefer to walk so presumably I just head to Central Parking and then follow signs for Terminal B?

Is security ok in B? I should have precheck from Global Entry.

Thanks for any help!

Two hours should be do-able, but sometimes things get backed up at baggage claim/Ag inspection in E.

You will re-check your bags in E - go through ag inspection, then turn left after the sliding door. Walking to B is generally faster than the bus, and security there is usually manageable (especially with Pre✓).

corporate-wage-slave Sep 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jimcbob (Post 27226129)

I would give yourself more time. If passports is blocked up you could be told to wait onboard or in the corridor for half an hour or so. If HBO I would be OK with this, but you have too many wheels to come off here. The minimum you need to make the 30 minutes boarding for AA is about 65 minutes from leaving the BA aircraft.

Aliquot Sep 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 27226392)
I would give yourself more time. If passports is blocked up you could be told to wait onboard or in the corridor for half an hour or so. If HBO I would be OK with this, but you have too many wheels to come off here. The minimum you need to make the 30 minutes boarding for AA is about 65 minutes from leaving the BA aircraft.

I don't think it matters wheather you are at the gate at the 30 minute mark when boarding begins. AA requires you to be there 10 minutes before departure so you have an extra 20 minutes.