Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Here we go again ... an attempt to reduce TPs earned on US domestics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

So I was chatting to an ex-FTer just now and he observed that:

1. AA seem to have started loading and showing I availability on AA prime codes on (some?) two-class US domestics.

For example, BOS JFK doesn't have a J cabin, but if you are connecting to a l/h BA flight you see:

Code:
AA198 BOS-JFK F7 A2 P0 J3 I1 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 N7 L7 Q7 V7 O7 S7 G7
What's that I1 doing there? [EDIT: A2 yet I1, yet another minor kick in the teeth...]

2. Pulling up a sample I fare on EF (IL2UKJB) from BOS to LHR via JFK gives the booking class table showing language such as this

Code:
VIA BA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  I- FARES  WITHIN  
                               USA                             
   VIA BA  A     PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN USA
A permitted but only if I isn't offered? ....except now I is being offered?

Now, call us paranoid, but could this be an a stealth reduction in TPs earned on US Domestic connections?

That 210+210+210 LCY-JFK-PHX-HNL run would look significantly less attractive if it's actually 140+140+140

For the "BA can do no wrong" crowd (you know who you are!), could I suggest ignoring this thread and instead spending a few minutes on http://www.ilovemyairline.com/ instead?

Last edited by shorthauldad; Apr 17, 2015 at 12:45 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:45 pm

A lot less attractive, but if we're honest, a lot more sensible.

I'd be as gutted with this change as anyone else, but I wouldn't be p*ssed off like with the seat selection enhancement, as I do think it's a reasonable (and probably inevitable) one.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I hope this is just a one-off and not a general trend. I know something similar was happening on MIA-LAS flights (reported on FT few months ago), but have never seen it from BOS.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
... as I do think it's a reasonable (and probably inevitable) one.
I don't think it would be unreasonable provided that first class Avios redemptions on two-class services are also lowered to 2x Avios from 3x.

Of course, the thread is purely speculative at the moment. Not that you'd glean that from the thread title
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I have to admit that the 210 we earned in "F" on a knackered old US 757 was a bit of a bonus on our HNL run, and seemed excessively generous.

However, such is life ... nobody owes me a free ride
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
I don't think it would be unreasonable provided that first class Avios redemptions on two-class services are also lowered to 2x Avios from 3x.
Hahahahaha. Great joke!

Of course, the thread is pure speculative at the moment.
My friend has been on the phone to BA today trying to rebook a US-Europe flight that had a US transcon connection ticketed in A, and he was told he'd be rebooked in I, getting 140 not 210 TPs.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
So I was chatting to an ex-FTer just now and he observed that:

1. AA seem to have started loading and showing I availability on AA prime codes on (some?) two-class US domestics.

For example, BOS JFK doesn't have a J cabin, but if you are connecting to a l/h BA flight you see:

Code:
AA198 BOS-JFK F7 A2 P0 J3 I1 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 N7 L7 Q7 V7 O7 S7 G7
What's that I1 doing there? [EDIT: A2 yet I1, yet another minor kick in the teeth...]

2. Pulling up a sample I fare on EF (IL2UKJB) from BOS to LHR via JFK gives the booking class table showing language such as this

Code:
VIA BA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  I- FARES  WITHIN  
                               USA                             
   VIA BA  A     PERMITTED     I- FARES  WITHIN USA
A permitted but only if I isn't offered? ....except now I is being offered?

Now, call us paranoid, but could this be an a stealth reduction in TPs earned on US Domestic connections?

That 210+210+210 LCY-JFK-PHX-HNL run would look significantly less attractive if it's actually 140+140+140

For the "BA can do no wrong" crowd (you know who you are!), could I suggest ignoring this thread and instead spending a few minutes on http://www.ilovemyairline.com/ instead?
So if this applies only when you connect to or from BA, surely you just don't fly don't fly BA but use the rather good 777-300 which AA operate............ or am I missing something?

The LCY JFK PHX HNL will only provide 140+210+210 for bookings made after the 28th but if I am reading this correctly you would still get !40 + 210+210 if you use AA on there transatlantic sector...rather than 140 + 140 + 140 is using BA.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by binman
So if this applies only when you connect to or from BA, surely you just don't fly don't fly BA but use the rather good 777-300 which AA operate............ or am I missing something?

The LCY JFK PHX HNL will only provide 140+210+210 for bookings made after the 28th but if I am reading this correctly you would still get !40 + 210+210 if you use AA on there transatlantic sector...rather than 140 + 140 + 140 is using BA.
All correct and negates some of the hysteria that is bound to follow.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by binman
So if this applies only when you connect to or from BA
It doesn't. The booking class table for AA fares has language with a similar effect, eg LHR BOS, AA fare IL2UKJB:

Code:
IL2UKJB   BETWEEN UNITED KINGDOM AND AREA 1 FOR ROUND TRIP FARES

BOOKING CODE EXCEPTIONS                                       
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN OFFERED  I- FARES  BETWEEN 
                               JFK-LAX                         
                               JFK-SFO                         
   MIA-LAX                         
   VIA AA  I     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  I- FARES     
It's not about the metal you travel TATL on, it's that you might be forced to book in I (earning J TPs) for all the US domestic connections to a TATL.

Originally Posted by golfmad
All correct and negates some of the hysteria that is bound to follow.
Look at the booking class table for AA J fares.

EDIT: booking an AA I fare from LHR-JFK-BOS is going to put you in I for both sectors, even though on the JFK-BOS it's two-class and you'll be seated in F; you'll earn you 140+40 not 140+60 TPs.

Last edited by shorthauldad; Apr 17, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have just checked the usual DUB-HNL routing via NYC PHX and it still books into A class on NYC-PHX-HNL. Panic over for now (probably just for a short while though).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I have just checked the usual DUB-HNL routing via NYC PHX and it still books into A class on NYC-PHX-HNL. Panic over for now (probably just for a short while though).
Did you check on Matrix, or with AA or BA? Matrix isn't (yet) showing this.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Did you check on Matrix, or with AA or BA? Matrix isn't (yet) showing this.
This was Matrix, but gonna check with AA direct now.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Books normal A/P classes on domestics on AA.com for a business itinerary DUB-HNL.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're of a nervous disposition and get Gold on the cheap don't read any further......

I thought the word was that partner tier point earning especially on US domestics was expected to be slashed soon anyway?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you're of a nervous disposition and get Gold on the cheap don't read any further......
Jealous, dear?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.