Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What is the Rule for Selecting a Bassinet Seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

I'm flying LHR-SFO on Saturday in WT+ and the 4 bassinets bulkhead seats opened up in the cabin today. They typically open up at T-3 days. I've phoned up multiple times previously and been placed in a bassinet seat.

So i phoned up a few hours ago and asked to be moved to one of the seats. I was told it was not possible until T-48 hours. I said it'd be done before but I was told that it was not possible so they could not comment on that.

Hang up and try again is the mantra....

I just phoned again and was this time told that they can't move me there until T-24 hours.

I noticed that one of the bassinet seats is now taken, and I doubt its someone with an infant. I mentioned that and she said it must have been someone with an infant but cannot tell me because of data protection yada yada yada.

I'm thinking about phoning again, but am worried that the trajectory of responses means I'll be told I can't select it until T-0 hours.

So, does anyone know the actual rule as to when Golds can get moved into a bassinet seat?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: Shortly after posting this, the second BA agent I spoke to on the phone left me a voicemail saying she'd been able to override the system and has put me into the bassinet seat I requested.

So, good service recovery there, and I've got a warm fuzzy feeling that she's learned something new today.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Losing status by the day
Originally Posted by Paralytic
UPDATE: Shortly after posting this, the second BA agent I spoke to on the phone left me a voicemail saying she'd been able to override the system and has put me into the bassinet seat I requested.

So, good service recovery there, and I've got a warm fuzzy feeling that she's learned something new today.
I've found it's about 50/50 whether they do it with no problem or claim it can't be done until some point in the future.

Every time they've said it's impossible I've asked them to try and they've been surprised when it works.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
But the question still remains, when can golds get the bassinet seat? I fly WTP and prefer the bulkhead window, and both are blocked. I know they open up at some point, but it is hit or miss whether I can get them. When I've called, the agent always seems clueless, although I must admit I have not pressed the issue. As an aside, I do find it annoying that the two only window bulkhead seats in WTP on the 777s are bassinets. Does BA really expect two WTP babies on each flight?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by flydrive
But the question still remains, when can golds get the bassinet seat?
Unless there's been any recent enhancement, it's at some point typically a bit under T-72. You can tell by checking on ExpertFlyer or equivalent. Once they become unblocked, you can (with perseverance) get the gold line to assign them.

Exact time varies because someone manually does some fiddling with the seat assignments before things unblock.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by henners
Unless there's been any recent enhancement, it's at some point typically a bit under T-72. You can tell by checking on ExpertFlyer or equivalent. Once they become unblocked, you can (with perseverance) get the gold line to assign them.

Exact time varies because someone manually does some fiddling with the seat assignments before things unblock.
You're talking about when they become available - we know that is around T-72.

What I'm asking is when (if at all) can Golds can be asked to move into the seat. From my experience today, agents do not know. I suspect its one of these BA unwritten rules so agents cooler talk, or they make it up.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
I managed to select one online at about T-90, yet a colleague on the same flight a day earlier was unable to even within T-72.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:29 pm

You're talking about when they become available - we know that is around T-72.

What I'm asking is when (if at all) can Golds can be asked to move into the seat. From my experience today, agents do not know. I suspect its one of these BA unwritten rules so agents cooler talk, or they make it up.
No, I think it's simpler than that - I think it's a policy that golds (and silvers for all I know) can nab them once the manual assignments are done, but so unimportant for the majority of people that the letter of the law isn't widely known by agents.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:05 pm

The seat map agents see is interactive and responds differently based on status or if keywords such as mobility assistance or if an infant is on a booking.

Therefore if there is no infant/mobility assistance or status the bulkheads simply show "blocked".

If a gold exec number is in the booking they will show "blocked" unless it is possible to book the seat currently.

The reason why its difficult to give an answer is because there seems to be no hard n fast rules. The 72 hours is only really a general rule of thumb in my experience.

When ive spoke to someone who had gold status call up to assign bulkhead seats it can still can vary as to when its available, as ive had some that i was able to book months out and some which were blocked still even within 72 hours.

Given thats my experience i cant then say its definetly going to be released at certain point.

Truthfully it seems to some extent to be flight specific, which is only reasonable if seating are aware of numbers of families/infants on the flight.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Anonba
The reason why its difficult to give an answer is because there seems to be no hard n fast rules. The 72 hours is only really a general rule of thumb in my experience.
Is it not tied to the release of the edited seat map, and the change in the aircraft code to the internal code, etc etc?

As I always say, and will keep saying: this does not happen at T-72h.

It usually happens at about lunchtime UK time on the day three days before the flight. T-3d would be more accurate, and everyone who keeps saying T-72h is liable to mislead.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/Hilton Diamond/IHG Spire
I am trying to select 56b for my wife on Fridays LAX to LHR. Both silver, thanks to our OGG trip but it is saying infant seat not available to Mrs B, same if I try. Any ideas on what to do as this seems a new one to me. Thanks B
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Is it not tied to the release of the edited seat map, and the change in the aircraft code to the internal code, etc etc?

It usually happens at about lunchtime UK time on the day three days before the flight. T-3d would be more accurate, and everyone who keeps saying T-72h is liable to mislead.
Appears to be 11am GMT on T-3d, so currently noon BST.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Ok so i should have said approximately t-3 days before departure is generally when it happens but as i said i'm sure i've had occassions where i was able to book tem for someone before this and some where it was still unavailable within the t-3 days.

When you say release of the edited seat map i presume you mean that families will have been assigned seats at this point?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Anonba
When you say release of the edited seat map i presume you mean that families will have been assigned seats at this point?
No, at T-3 days (around noon) the "select your seat" option on MMB changes to show the bassinet seats as being available. Prior to that, they show as unavailable/blocked/reserved.

However, the system does not let you move to a bassinet seat at that time, giving an error if you try to do so.

Its at this point I phone up to get my seat allocated, and get differing responses, varying from "I'll do that", to "can't do it till 2 days before", "can't do it till the day before" and "can't do that".

Last edited by Paralytic; Apr 16, 2015 at 2:16 am
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC
I'm flying LHR-SFO on Saturday in WT+ and the 4 bassinets bulkhead seats opened up in the cabin today. They typically open up at T-3 days. I've phoned up multiple times previously and been placed in a bassinet seat.

So i phoned up a few hours ago and asked to be moved to one of the seats. I was told it was not possible until T-48 hours. I said it'd be done before but I was told that it was not possible so they could not comment on that.

Hang up and try again is the mantra....

I just phoned again and was this time told that they can't move me there until T-24 hours.

I noticed that one of the bassinet seats is now taken, and I doubt its someone with an infant. I mentioned that and she said it must have been someone with an infant but cannot tell me because of data protection yada yada yada.

I'm thinking about phoning again, but am worried that the trajectory of responses means I'll be told I can't select it until T-0 hours.

So, does anyone know the actual rule as to when Golds can get moved into a bassinet seat?
This happened to me in January on a long haul flight. I wanted the last row of CW on the window, because it was private but had it's own access point. But it was marked as being a cot seat.

I got the run-around when I tried to book it, even with T-48. When I boarded there was a young woman in that seat - no baby. She may have been a GCH...who knows?

Similarly I was on a CE flight the other day booked in the front row. When I was arrived for check in I'd been moved to the second row - "equipment change" - but the check in agent at LCY told me the front row was blocked and I'd have no trouble moving.

Naturally a passengers boarded right before take off and sat down in my original seat. He was followed by another guy who sat across the aisle from him. I asked the FA about it, and she showed me the iPAD. Both were Blues.

The moral of the story is GCH status means less and less to BA every day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.