Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why no priority baggage handling for emeralds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why no priority baggage handling for emeralds?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Yesterday, I arrived in F from HND and was on stand about 1pm (bussed to the A gates) and it took until after 2pm for my bags to come out and they must have been towards the end of the queue (together with some other F pax luggage) and some of the crew were also waiting for their bags.
Regards

TBS
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Star Alliance do this a lot better
Old Jan 12, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
VS seemed to do it successfully on both ends, though some airports (such as LAS) doesn't seem to have it anymore (it seemed to work back in the old Terminal, sometimes new Terminals aren't all that).

I must admit, not really seen it work very well on BA.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:46 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I understand BA doesn't do priority baggage handling for OWE and OWS, but a few months ago, when I checked in (with my CX DM/OWE number on my ticket) for a flight from LHR-EDI with a kiosk, my bag tag got printed with PRIORITY under the barcode, and (quite luckily?!) it was amongst the first to come out...
Old May 26, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
Same happened to me at self bag drop at LHR. I was surprised as well given that at manned checkin they never apply Club/First tags to luggage if I am not travelling in those classes.

Overall it's a bit of a joke - at LIN they often tag apply the yellow First tag on my luggage even when I am only flying a short haul ET segment...generally speaking outstations usually tag if you show status regardless of travel class.

That said, it seems not to make much difference once landed at LHR. I guess it's just to look posh when you collect your stuff from the carousel.
clubeurope likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I understand BA doesn't do priority baggage handling for OWE and OWS ...
I think it may be more accurate to say that BA doesn't promise priority baggage handling. IME the substantial proportion of trips when I've had faster-than-average bag delivery can't be put down to mere chance. But as it's not promised, you can't rely on it, and there are definitely occasions when it absolutely does not work.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
When 30 to 60% of bags could have priority, what does priority baggage handling look like?
Here in Doha, when I fly with Qatar Air and Oman Air there is a Yellow tag and an Orange tag with Priority stuck into the white baggage tag (the one with my name and bar code. This happens even when I am flying Economy. Does BA not do this? If not, wonder why Qatar and Oman Air do so even though I have BAEC Silver and NO STATUS in their FF programs.
Arsey00 likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by tmac100
Here in Doha, when I fly with Qatar Air and Oman Air there is a Yellow tag and an Orange tag with Priority stuck into the white baggage tag (the one with my name and bar code. This happens even when I am flying Economy. Does BA not do this? If not, wonder why Qatar and Oman Air do so even though I have BAEC Silver and NO STATUS in their FF programs.
BA's system is largely done by bulk loading in ULDs, with sorting done by computer, so the tags make no difference anyway. LHR T5 is 100% ULD. But see above for how status sort-of works, even though not always promised.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
BA doesn't do priority luggage full stop so they cannot really offer this to Any passengers whether F or J or OWE or OWS.

This problem is that it costs marginally more to prioritise luggage than not to prioritise it. As either you need to hold luggage then ensure it is all placed in appropriate containers in order as late as possible before flight or unload luggage putting aside non priority bags and push the priority bags into the belt first. This is obviously less efficient but is a service other airlines seem to manage better.

BA doesn't do this for any passengers (except accidentally or in out stations where working practices are led by the needs of better airlines) as BA always prioritises cost over service quality. It really is that simple.
It does happen from LHR although the way I found out wasn't great.

A few years ago flying to BOS in F I arrived in baggage reclaim to discover my name and others being called over the tanoy. Got to the girl who was standing there clipboard in hand to see a familiar face. It was another of the F cabin denizens and upon further enquiry it turned out if you were in F or a very unlucky J dweller your bags had been left in London. They'd left the entire container at LHR and blamed FLY when I pushed for a reason. After that BA were utterly useless at getting the bag to me. World tracer said it had arrived on ACK but Cape Air (9K) who were supposed to be flying it down hadn't seen it. It was only thanks to 9K taking the initiative and collecting it from BA at BOS that I saw it at all that trip.
Old May 26, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
....... But see above for how status sort-of works, even though not always promised.
Well at least outside of baggage coming off "promptly" I do get other benefits of BAEC Silver status: lounge access and an extra bag (if needed) with OW airlines. For those 2 benefits alone, I am more grateful than my checked baggage coming off "promptly" at LHR (or any other) airport. frankly, I can/do wait.....

To each their own ^. Looking forward to 5 different sectors with IB and BA this summer - both in Europe and trans-Atlantic. Quite impressed at the "Spanish quiche" at the MAD lounge - nice Cava too (but then there is no need to comment about my personal taste. I like what I like )
Old May 26, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by frandrake
Same happened to me at self bag drop at LHR. I was surprised as well given that at manned checkin they never apply Club/First tags to luggage if I am not travelling in those classes.

Overall it's a bit of a joke - at LIN they often tag apply the yellow First tag on my luggage even when I am only flying a short haul ET segment...generally speaking outstations usually tag if you show status regardless of travel class.

That said, it seems not to make much difference once landed at LHR. I guess it's just to look posh when you collect your stuff from the carousel.
But bear in mind LIN can put whatever they like on your tag - it makes no difference at LHR. What matters is the bar code. It has been said previously that in many instances the premium tags are in effect snob tags and designed to get rid of people quickly with a expectation that won’t necessarily be delivered.

LIN is very poor at delivering priority luggage that is correctly tagged both physically and more importantly electronically. Ironic they feel they can dish out a service that they cannot deliver themselves!
Old May 28, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
In my experience the yellow tags seem to come out first. The orange make no difference at all.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
On the last three occasions that I've flown from LCY to TXL (Berlin Tegel), I've checked in a cabin-sized bag and had it appear amongst the first three or four bags delivered at the other end. The other bags delivered first also had priority tags on them.

Coincidence? Lucky? Or does BA Cityflyer do things differently?
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Datapoint LHR - GVA 724 yesterday first 4 bags all had nice priority tags on them two, did not stand arround to see how the rest of the delivery panned out
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
In IST, it depends on the agent. Agents who are more experienced doesn't tag the orange one for OWS/OWE pax traveling in ET but the newbies always tag.
Also in the USA ( in destinations BA has their own employees rather than contracted ones ), I have seen BA employees who do not care and tags the orange tax for OWS/OWE pax in WT or WTP, but some don't.

So, it really depends on the agent.

In reality, on some elite heavy routes, such as LHR-BOS, LHR-LAX, LHR-SFO, LHR-IAD on super High-J 747-400 aircraft, if all OWS and all OWE had priority baggage handling, %80 of the bags would have a yellow or orange tag which would devalue the privilege of priority baggage handling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.