Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Gold in AMS

As a BA gold booked on an Easyjet From AMS to EDI, can I still use the BA lounge at AMS?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Sully the Scarer
As a BA gold booked on an Easyjet From AMS to EDI, can I still use the BA lounge at AMS?
No.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Afraid not.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
That benefit was 'enhanced ' away a few years ago.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Your status is valid only on oneworld marked and operated flights.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can join the rest of us in the cheap seats and enjoy the amazing selection of amenities and catering by the G/H gates end of the terminal: rather dry sandwiches, really boring sandwiches, McDonalds, some place that claims to do pizza/pasta but never has a queue shorter than 20 people, mediocre cake at Starbucks, that miserable-so-it-must-be-healthy quinoa salad from Starbucks, and crap beer. Also no free seats at busy times and an array of pointless luxury shops, duty free more expensive than retail price in the UK, and naff souvenirs.

You can sometimes get weirdo novelty tulips at the flower stall, packed so they will last until you get to the UK. That's about the only thing I buy at that end of the airport.

At least they haven't enhanced the experience so you have to take a winding path round all that rubbish, you can still head almost straight from the passport check to the gates.

(AMS Easyjet regular for 8 years and counting...)

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 9, 2015 at 9:41 am
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Location: EDI, and often LHR, DOH and PVG, OPO or AMS - or just about anywhere else...
Programs: BA Silver (soft-drop now I moved all longhauls away), KLM Gold, Emirates Gold, and others
Gold in AMS

I'd thought it had been 'enhanced' away - and never needed to do it before now... Irish pub it is then!

Thanks all
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
I have colleagues who claim to have booked fully refundable BA tickets so that they can use oneworld lounges when flying on LCCs. I suppose it would work?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Gold in AMS

Flatlander, you're clearly Dutch Tourist Board!
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
You can join the rest of us in the cheap seats and enjoy the amazing selection of amenities and catering by the G/H gates end of the terminal: rather dry sandwiches, really boring sandwiches, McDonalds, some place that claims to do pizza/pasta but never has a queue shorter than 20 people, mediocre cake at Starbucks, that miserable-so-it-must-be-healthy quinoa salad from Starbucks, and crap beer. Also no free seats at busy times and an array of pointless luxury shops, duty free more expensive than retail price in the UK, and naff souvenirs.

You can sometimes get weirdo novelty tulips at the flower stall, packed so they will last until you get to the UK. That's about the only thing I buy at that end of the airport.
I get the feeling you don't like the cheap end of Schiphol.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by flatlander
some place that claims to do pizza/pasta but never has a queue shorter than 20 people
I've never had more than 3 people ahead of me in line!!!

When I passed by on Tuesday afternoon, there was nobody waiting.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by BLHD
I get the feeling you don't like the cheap end of Schiphol.
Woah, hold on! There's a nice part of Schiphol?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
Yeah, that Runway up near Copenhagen.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
+1 ^^^^^^
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The train station isn't too bad. Well, except for the NS revenue-enhancing lack of OV card touchin/out barriers and the occasional tendency for the platform destination indicators not to match the actual train destination.

Actually, there was a nice(r) part of Schiphol before the current construction works: near the D pier where the old BA lounge was. Upstairs was a "Paul" patisserie with great chocolate tarts, and a place serving Thai-ish food fairly freshly cooked (probably the best food in the airport). Downstairs was the sushi place (great for a to-go meal) and the noodle bar. I'm not sure if they're still available at the moment, it seemed not last time I was there.

At the moment there's bugger all anywhere around that end of the airport and I think you're actually better off at the G/H end.

Avoid the "Dutch Kitchen" half way between the G end and the D end of the terminal for anything freshly cooked; it's all fairly horrible and after several poor meals culminating in being served a fried egg that was actually still mostly raw, I haven't been back.

Flatlander, you're clearly Dutch Tourist Board!
I'm going native and speaking only blunt truth. Or I'm just feeling particularly misanthropic today.

Unless there's more than one Irish pub, if you're thinking of the Irish pub near D10, it's not a short walk from there to an Easyjet H gate. If you have the Schiphol app running and sign up for push notifications for your flight, sometimes they send you an announcement that leaks the gate number long before the overhead indicators change, letting you know where to go at your leisure. If you want to drink nearer the H gates there's a Dutch standard-grade bar (they have both kinds of beer, Heineken and Amstel) by the G/H pier junction just before the H security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.