Why can't I change any of my bookings?

Old Apr 8, 15, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Why can't I change any of my bookings?

I have two bookings that are on the go at the moment, one to Sydney where I am now and the other returning from OSL. The first was paid the second booked with Avios.

When I try to make any changes to either booking I get a message that it can't be done on BA.com. Why could this be? Both were booked on BA.com and there's nothing unusual about either of them as far as I am aware.

I want to see if I can reschedule the flights and also check upgrade availability but I don't plan on paying a fortune to phone BA from Australia.
Old Apr 8, 15, 10:03 pm

Are either of the bookings open jaw? That has scuppered it for me in the past.

Also, it seems to me that if you've made any kind of change already to the booking, you usually end up having to phone in further changes. Irritating as heck.

In terms of calling BA - there are plenty of ways to make calls over the internet. Skype is one - just load up a few pounds in credit and away you go. It's pretty handy to have as backup for times like this.
Old Apr 8, 15, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you made any previous changes to the bookings? If so, this usually renders later online changes impossible. Otherwise, it is often just hit or miss as to whether you can make online changes.

You can also call any BA office that is open:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ntly-open.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-centres.html
Old Apr 9, 15, 12:12 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I had difficulty with a multi sector flight this week too, but do not think I have changed it previously.
Old Apr 9, 15, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. BA cancelled the OSL to LHR flight on the Sydney booking so I was rebooked onto an earlier flight but that's the only change. On the other booking, no changes at all. But weird really.

Are Avios bookings normally semi-flexible?
Old Apr 9, 15, 1:58 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by matthandy View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. BA cancelled the OSL to LHR flight on the Sydney booking so I was rebooked onto an earlier flight but that's the only change. On the other booking, no changes at all. But weird really.

They're fully flexible up to 24hrs before departure.
Old Apr 9, 15, 2:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the OSL service that almost certainly explains it, your booking was taken out of the self-serve channel in order to do that, and once out, it's never going back.

For the other booking, has it been ticketed? Or does it have other airlines in the reservation? Is the reservation within about 30 hours of departure? Was teh booking made under a previous level of APD? These are the other factors not so far mentioned which impinge on making a single online change. But yes you can change Avios reservations for a fee (unless GGL or Prem) up to 24 hours before departure, you may need to call.
Old Apr 9, 15, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks cws.

For the Avios ticket I've flown half of it so definitely ticketed. When did the new APD rules come in?
Old Apr 9, 15, 2:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks cws.

For the Avios ticket I've flown half of it so definitely ticketed. When did the new APD rules come in?
1 April 2015. The same factor may also apply to other tax changes if they result in a re-ticketing rather than a re-issue. But if you have already started flying the ticket then that's another reason for not changing it online (and why it's often a good idea to book single rather than return tickets if there are no USA sectors).
Old Apr 9, 15, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by paul4040 View Post
They're fully flexible up to 24hrs before departure.
IIRC, they can be changed up to 24 hours before departure of each sector. However, if you want to cancel for a full refund, that has to be done before 24 hours before departure of the first sector on the ticket.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
For the other booking, has it been ticketed?
As I read matthandy's post, it sounds like he's flown half of that ticket, which would (AIUI) also be likely to make it non-changeable online.

[ETA:] I typed too slowly.
Old Apr 9, 15, 9:03 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
In terms of calling BA - there are plenty of ways to make calls over the internet. Skype is one - just load up a few pounds in credit and away you go. It's pretty handy to have as backup for times like this.
Remember all 0800 calls are free on skype so just find the BAEC numbers which starts with 0800 and no top-ups needed
Old Apr 9, 15, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Thanks. I hadn't thought of this. Good idea. Will try tonight.

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
1 April 2015. The same factor may also apply to other tax changes if they result in a re-ticketing rather than a re-issue. But if you have already started flying the ticket then that's another reason for not changing it online (and why it's often a good idea to book single rather than return tickets if there are no USA sectors).
That could well be it for the Avios ticket.

Originally Posted by cysyuen View Post
Remember all 0800 calls are free on skype so just find the BAEC numbers which starts with 0800 and no top-ups needed
Didn't know this, thanks very much.
Old Apr 10, 15, 4:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
There's an issue with IT at the moment, I can't change any of my bookings. Certainly the GGL phone line are aware of the problem (not least as they are currently speaking to me 3 times a week.....)

Search this Thread