Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hand Baggage Only on Interline Itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Hand Baggage Only on Interline Itinerary?

I'm going to be flying YOW-DUB next month with a stopover in LHR. Ticket was issued by AC (who also operates the YOW-LHR segment) while the DUB-LHR segment is on BA.

I just looked up my flight on BA.com and noticed that this segment is showing as a "Hand Baggage Only" fare. Given that IATA Resolution 302 doesn't apply after a stopover of 24 hours or more, am I completely screwed on checking a bag for this flight?

I am flying on both an AC ticket and an AC fare, so nothing in the Fare Rules would indicate HBO.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
HBO tickets are not combinable with other sectors, so if you have one ticket for the whole trip then your BA sector should not be HBO at all. So I don't know how this happened, it may just be BA's IT playing up. If a travel agent has stitched this together in one ticket then I'm not sure they've done the right thing. Either way, I think you can assume the YOW checkin agent won't be terribly clued up about BA's intricate way of doing things so I really doubt you will have an issue in that direction. On the return it may be more problematic, but I would hope the production of your onwards flight would assist you to through check at LHR.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CorSter
I am flying on both an AC ticket and an AC fare, so nothing in the Fare Rules would indicate HBO.
You will not get a HBO sector under an AC through fare.

Seems like an IT bug
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
HBO tickets are not combinable with other sectors, so if you have one ticket for the whole trip then your BA sector should not be HBO at all. So I don't know how this happened, it may just be BA's IT playing up.

If a travel agent has stitched this together in one ticket then I'm not sure they've done the right thing. Either way, I think you can assume the YOW checkin agent won't be terribly clued up about BA's intricate way of doing things so I really doubt you will have an issue in that direction. On the return it may be more problematic, but I would hope the production of your onwards flight would assist you to through check at LHR.
I booked this directly with AC by phone, so no travel agent is involved - it's all on one AC through fare. I do have a multi-day stopover in London, so I will have to recheck my bag with BA prior to flying to DUB, which is my concern. That being said, both my AC segment and my BA segment do show up on BA.com so it's clear on both ends that it's a multi-airline itinerary. I don't even have much of an issue paying the £20 baggage charge if I have to, but BA.com is asking for $75 (not sure if USD or CAD) to purchase a checked bag which seems excessive.

My return trip doesn't have a BA leg or a stopover, so I don't have any concerns there (AC codeshare operated by EI connecting to AC TATL).

Last edited by CorSter; Apr 7, 2015 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
. I don't even have much of an issue paying the £20 baggage charge if I have to, but BA.com is asking for $75 (not sure if USD or CAD) to purchase a checked bag which seems excessive.
Not so much excessive, just plain wrong. Blame BA's IT. We all do (and so do the airline's staff!). I have the HBO fact sheet in front of me and it says baldly: "HBO remains non-combinable with other products".
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Not so much excessive, just plain wrong. Blame BA's IT. We all do (and so do the airline's staff!). I have the HBO fact sheet in front of me and it says baldly: "HBO remains non-combinable with other products".
Sounds like they could compete with AC for worst airline IT
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Did a bit more searching around on Flyertalk and found someone else on an AC ticket that seems to have run into the same issue: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...are-issue.html

Time to get on the phone....
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm going to guess that the eticket was issued without a baggage allowance on it - where it should say 2PC or 1PC or 23K etc, it's probably blank. BA's IT is likely reading this as 'none' instead of 'unknown'
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAXBA
I'm going to guess that the eticket was issued without a baggage allowance on it - where it should say 2PC or 1PC or 23K etc, it's probably blank. BA's IT is likely reading this as 'none' instead of 'unknown'
Might be on to something here. Checkmytrip shows "Baggage: information not available", but I don't have much experience with Amadeus so I have no idea if this is normal.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Might be on to something here. Checkmytrip shows "Baggage: information not available", but I don't have much experience with Amadeus so I have no idea if this is normal.
I would agree with this. If you have the time, telephone AC and ask them what is going on with the baggage allowance (as "printed" on the ticket), because BA thinks it's nil
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JAXBA
Thanks for that, I wonder if this is 2 IT departments, with similar competence levels, working in splendid opposite tangents to each other!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call BA? A bit better than speculating.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Call BA? A bit better than speculating.
Called BA and they confirmed that the e-ticket was showing no baggage allowance as JAXBA suggested, so I then called AC and asked them to re-issue the e-ticket with a 1 bag allowance as per BA's standard allowance - they did so and my allowance has already been changed on BA's website. Air Canada generally determines baggage allowance based on fare class purchased, so I imagine their agents may ignore the baggage allowance field on an e-ticket altogether when issuing a ticket.

Thank you to everyone for your help, especially JAXBA for the winning suggestion.

Last edited by CorSter; Apr 7, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called BA and they confirmed that the e-ticket was showing no baggage allowance as JAXBA suggested, so I then called AC and asked them to re-issue the e-ticket with a 1 bag allowance as per BA's standard allowance - they did so and my allowance has already been changed on BA's website. Air Canada generally determines fare allowance based on fare class purchased, so I imagine their agents generally ignore the baggage allowance field on an e-ticket altogether when issuing a ticket.

Thank you to everyone for your help, especially JAXBA for the winning suggestion.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.