Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Class Gluten Free Meal - What Would You Expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Can you pre-book meals on the route you're flying? I'm off to ORD in the next couple of weeks and have just seen that the little i symbol beside each menu choice pops up a list of allergens - I know I said in my previous post that sometimes I just risk it, but this is *brilliant* ^

Below is the pop-up for some trout with samphire. What I don't show in the picture below is that the first choice (Aberdeen Angus) shows as having Gluten in, but you'll get the idea...

Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Perhaps BA should watch this to understand how hard it is being Gluten Free :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

Last edited by msm2000uk; Apr 7, 2015 at 2:42 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

It's beyond my comprehension to think why BA would serve economy meals in F under any circumstances. Utterly bizarre. I am sure it's to do with cost...
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:04 am

It's to do with simplicity and not being imaginative. Each SPML needs to be prepared in a separate area, so this is the excuse the company uses. I'm just a non-official messenger
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC (Silver), IHG (Plat Elite)
Slightly OT, but by comparison my wife and I flew LHR – BKK – SYD in J/F combo with Thai. My wife needs a GF diet, and arranged special meals. Despite being in J and F, the food presented was awful. Fruit salad for starter and desert, with the blandest, dullest main meal. As others have pointed out, many of the other options in other cabins were most likely GF in any case ! It was a honeymoon trip, paid for in *A miles in the days of BMI, and my new wife actually cried at the state of affairs, having looked forward to the trip for months. A very nice and understanding CC gave my wife her own staff meal, a red Thai curry which should have been, and was, completely GF.

I’d go for one of the suggestions on here, do not order special meals, IMHO.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Yesitsme
That's a good point from Flatlander, re the 2nd meal service. It tends to be all bread, with sandwiches, cakes and scones. We do carry fruit, and there will be yoghurts etc in the Club Kitchen. If all else fails, the wines and champagnes are all GF
We have a solution
Old Apr 7, 2015, 3:42 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
My hunch is the GF meal is bought from a third-party supplier, so the request is for x GF meals per flight, regardless of class of service. Shame. I'd just go with what is on the menu and cobble something together - this is a big choice. Also, have something in the lounge before you fly, and bring a snack along (crisps, nuts) in case the second service is nothing but a gluten fest!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Perhaps BA should watch this to understand how hard it is being Gluten Free :-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oht9AEq1798

I'll pass that on. Then run and hide.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
VS Upper Class are just as bad when it comes to serving disastrous gluten free meals
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I pre-ordered a GF meal for my mother last month on BA107 LHR - DXB in First and on the return BA104 in CW and both meals were much better than expected.

In first it was a salmon and asparagus starter, then a salad, a chicken, veg and potatoes main and a bread and butter pudding for desert with plenty of fruit available as well as gluten free bread (although this was a little hard).

In F, they came round and went through each element on the tray, explained how they would cook it and offered to remove any elements or swap for those off the standard menu.

In CW on the return, there was less personal service (as would be expected), with a GF tray presented. I cannot remember the return meal, but it certainly didn't have any rice cakes! ;-)
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:26 am

Someone mentioned the Chef's Chat earlier - you can ask to look at it, as it has a complete list of all the food, all the allergens, and the cooking methods. (And rather optimistic pictures too).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
My apologies for not spotting this thread before I started another one... but lesson learned too.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...mls-first.html

I'll not order any special meals on BA in F.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:39 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Being Gluten Intolerant (not through choice), I usually pre-order a special meal. I am having a bash on EK First class today and ordered the GFSPML. Made the mistake of looking at the normal menu. Hopefully as they have done before, the cabin crew will ask if I would like anything off the normal menu .

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Aside from the meal, was that email written by a three-year old?

It's an email: generally a step down from more formal typed and posted script. The latter most likely goes through stages of production which allow editing.

I can see no egregious errors in the mail. Obvious omissions in verb parts, but the sense is clear. The communication addresses the enquiry directly, a feat not always achieved by customer service ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.