BA Upsells F seats?

Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
BA Upsells F seats?

Last week I was traveling on a USDM legacy ticket with two BA F segments. My BA 8 was from HND to LHR. Upon checking in, I was told the 772 F cabin had an occupancy of 7/12 (No 3K and 4K in this 772). However, when we boarded, I looked around and saw F was actually 11/12. The last seat open was 3F, and it was not filled because it was reserved for pilots.

3 days later, when I traveled BA 297 (LHR-ORD), again I was told F cabin was 5/14 (this is a different type of 772). However, unsurprisingly I found F was again fully occupied when boarding the plane.

If there were no op-ups, what are the alternative ways these people obtained last-minute upgrades into F cabin?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by lewende
Last week I was traveling on a USDM legacy ticket with two BA F segments. My BA 8 was from HND to LHR. Upon checking in, I was told the 772 F cabin had an occupancy of 7/12 (No 3K and 4K in this 772). However, when we boarded, I looked around and saw F was actually 11/12. The last seat open was 3F, and it was not filled because it was reserved for pilots.

3 days later, when I traveled BA 297 (LHR-ORD), again I was told F cabin was 5/14 (this is a different type of 772). However, unsurprisingly I found F was again fully occupied when boarding the plane.

If there were no op-ups, what are the alternative ways these people obtained last-minute upgrades into F cabin?
What makes you think it wasn't op-ups? Were the J cabins full?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well here are a few reasons that spring to mind:

1) DUT upgrades - so WT is oversold (typically) and this ripples forward so that some CW customers get OpUps.
2) Last minute ticket sales or amendments to existing bookings
3) Upgrade Using Avios - this can be done on the day of travel
4) Last minute acceptance of POUGs (proactive upgrades)
5) Airport Upgrades (AUP)
6) Irrops from previous / future services become apparent at the last moment
7) Space Available upgrades - typically part of some previous customer relations remedy (I think they get processed with DUT though)
8) Seating mechanical failure in CW
9) Staff travel in F (there's not much of this)
10) Self upgrader who gets away with it (hopefully even more rare).
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
What makes you think it wasn't op-ups? Were the J cabins full?
Well, J was pretty full, but for two long-haul flights both had full F occupancy due to op-ups? That doesn't sound right...
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well here are a few reasons that spring to mind:

1) DUT upgrades - so WT is oversold (typically) and this ripples forward so that some CW customers get OpUps.
2) Last minute ticket sales or amendments to existing bookings
3) Upgrade Using Avios - this can be done on the day of travel
4) Last minute acceptance of POUGs (proactive upgrades)
5) Airport Upgrades (AUP)
6) Irrops from previous / future services become apparent at the last moment
7) Space Available upgrades - typically part of some previous customer relations remedy (I think they get processed with DUT though)
8) Seating mechanical failure in CW
9) Staff travel in F (there's not much of this)
Thanks! Very good synopsis!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In addition to what have already been listed, positioning staff members (staff travel benefits are quite different from that). I have had quite a lot of BA pilots positioning in F for whatever reason on my flights. I love them as fellow passengers - they are generally really quiet and well-behaved and just sleep, sleep and sleep, usually without snoring!
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Well, J was pretty full, but for two long-haul flights both had full F occupancy due to op-ups? That doesn't sound right...
10 OPUPs to F on my flight to AUH last week according to a crew member.

Would suspect a similar number on the way back.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As in people who go and sit where they want? Does that really happen? Couldn't imagine having that much front to do that
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
As in people who go and sit where they want? Does that really happen? Couldn't imagine having that much front to do that
I've seen them quite a lot. I play the game of 'spot the self-upgraders', such is my boredom with flying. I haven't got them wrong yet - those I suspected have all been identified by the crew members and sent back.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I don't know what you mean by "I was told", but most F pax are using using awards, avios upgrades, paid upgrades. I do not know for BA, but many airlines also sell very cheap J/F seats to their staff (or other airlines' staff) on a waitlist basis. These are numerous on CX. Then there are true opups.
And yes, many longhaul BA flights are full, meaning opups to J and F.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: BA blue, very lapsed Delta
I saw an actor from Game Of Thrones kick off a self upgrader that had happened to chance his seat. It was rather funny.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:27 am

Why not? Sounds right to me. I've heard of entire wtp cabins being moved forward which is at least 20 seats going forward. If j is busy there's no where to move people but F.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
I don't know what you mean by "I was told", but most F pax are using using awards, avios upgrades, paid upgrades. I do not know for BA, but many airlines also sell very cheap J/F seats to their staff (or other airlines' staff) on a waitlist basis. These are numerous on CX. Then there are true opups.
And yes, many longhaul BA flights are full, meaning opups to J and F.
Well, based on my past experience, when I asked the check in counter agent how full the F cabin was, in general the number was rather consistent with actual occupancy, such as LH, LX, JL, NH, CX, and EK.

So it happens to me somehow weird when F cabin occupancy changes drastically between CI and boarding (2 hours at the most).
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
I don't know what you mean by "I was told", but most F pax are using using awards, avios upgrades, paid upgrades.
Really? Is that a gut feel or based on BA info? I'm surprised because I'm then the minority that pay for their seats! Albeit I buy in advance for my main trips when the sales are on
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
I saw an actor from Game Of Thrones kick off a self upgrader that had happened to chance his seat. It was rather funny.
USURPER!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.