FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA is Bobbing for my Baggages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1669526-ba-bobbing-my-baggages.html)

coastalguy Apr 4, 2015 6:12 am

BA is Bobbing for my Baggages

Six days into a two-and-a-half week trip (so far MIA-IAD on AA, then IAD-LHR on BA and LHR to FRA on BA / all in J) we still don't have our checked luggage, despite filing a claim on landing with BA in FRA followed by MANY subsequent hours on the phone (over 20 calls at this point on my US-based mobile phone) with BA Bag Services, their Twitter team, etc.

I find it astounding that BA doesn't have a handle on where any of my three bags seem to be, in spite of assurances several times over the last couple of days that they're out for delivery and should arrive soon. Now (today) I'm being told they, "don't think we'll be able to get them from Lufthansa to you in VIE before you leave on April 7th...where is your next stop..." Uh...seriously? (Today is the 4th right? And they've been charged with care of the bags since we departed the US on the 31st of March...)

There's dozens of flight combinations that would get my bags from CDG to VIE today.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how else to get my bags?

BLHD Apr 4, 2015 6:21 am

Where does CDG come into it?

Its a frustrating process but if you can tell us a little more detail that would help.

LTN Phobia Apr 4, 2015 6:29 am

Originally Posted by coastalguy (Post 24615120)
Now (today) I'm being told they, "don't think we'll be able to get them from Lufthansa to you in VIE before you leave on April 7th...where is your next stop..." Uh...seriously?

Just a guess, Easter delaying things even further?

Calling does not seem to help. I speak from my past experience with delayed bags on various airlines (not just BA). They will turn up when they can, as soon as they can, but things can get delayed for various reasons - including customs when they come from a non-EU point of origin. It may not even be BA's 'fault' as such, particularly when there are multiple airlines involved (AA and BA).

Perhaps stop calling - 20 calls may well have been a waste of time and money because it's unlikely to help you to get your bags sooner. If you really want to call them, I recommend using Skype or buying a local sim card though.

Buy the essential items and submit the receipts to get them back - keep them sensible and you are unlikely to have problems getting them reimbursed.

tooblue Apr 4, 2015 6:36 am

I'd guess that your bags never left the US. I've had a few cases where AA have failed to get my bags onto a connection: both their own connections and BA connections. Then, they don't automatically put the bags on the following flight. Instead, they wait to hear from you. Most recently, I flew AA MCO-MIA; BA MIA-LHR and it took 3 extra days for the bags to arrive; when they could have been loaded onto a flight just a few hours behind my departure. The bags eventually caught up with me in Italy.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 4, 2015 6:43 am

Originally Posted by coastalguy (Post 24615120)
Can anyone offer suggestions on how else to get my bags?

Here's my suggestion: Get on with your life and let the bags find their way to you in due course. If you need something, buy it and keep the receipt.

The idea that BA will carefully tracks down your bag, proactively calls you, plans carefully how it gets to you, and checks everything works out is frankly a fantasy. Right now there are hundreds of thousands of bags in the system. Annoying though that is, all you can do with ensure your Worldtracer entry is up to date and get on with things you want or need to do. An hour spent calling BA is an hour wasted. Other airlines do the same. Irritating? Definitely.