Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How do you approach your husband/wife/partner about a TP run?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Although the topic is related to TP runs...thought of creating a new post as this is not quite about routes and price per TP.

I am myself attempting a little TP run next summer.
It'll be just a one day quick back and forth from LAX.
I do share without hesitation pretty much anything with my husband...but I think a one day trip for accruing TPs is such a foreign subject for someone that doesn't share the FT nerdiness like I do!

What's your experience with that?

"Hi Babe! So, tomorrow I can't go to lunch with you because I am taking a flight to Miami early in the morning. But I'll be back in time for a late dinner if you want!"

(pardon my English syntax, it's not my first language...but you get the gist )
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Some partners are clearly understanding... I sold mine on the basis that she would be able to go away to spend time with friends as well after I returned. Also the fact that it would give me status so booking seats would be free. That has already saved Ł450. Also additional benefits such as being more inclined to go away more often.

Reality was probably more that I totally baffled her with flight numbers, dates, routes etc that she really didn't have a clue anymore what I was talking about or where I was going. I finally sent her a screenshot of MMB as I was sat in the airport at DUB.

One word of advice, don't expect anybody to understand what you are doing or the reasons why - even many posters on here thing TP runs are bonkers. Although saying that, I met three great people in LAX all doing the same and none of them had two heads!

And if you do get a good route, feel free to post on the TP Run thread.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
She is forgiving when she is helping herself to the best part of a bottle of champagne in a lounge when we're on our next trip somewhere in miles-paid business or first class...

"See honey, glug glug glug, this is why it was imperative that I went to HNL during spring break"
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by OttoMH
She is forgiving when she is helping herself to the best part of a bottle of champagne in a lounge when we're on our next trip somewhere in miles-paid business or first class...

"See honey, glug glug glug, this is why it was imperative that I went to HNL during spring break"
Unfortunately, that was not something I could offer... when I achieve gold, and can access the Flounge I will be guesting in my 6 year old daughter and leaving the wife downstairs to have a cup of coffee.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
How about something like this.

"Honey, you know my membership in the BA Frequent Flier program? I've looked into it, and it turns out that I'm really close to gain what they call Bronze/Silver/Gold Tier with our already planned travel.

I've done some reseach and if I take this trip to Miami and back, which is really cheap right now, I'll actually make that tier! This will mean that for all our travel next year we'll have priority check-in/lounge access/whatever-gold-gets.

I'll be flying the weekend of X. Do you want me to bring you back some alligator boots?"

[ed.]
I'm lucky, my SO is the reason I'm flying so crazy often in the first place. Since seeing her is the reason of my flights, the fact that I pad the routes a little bit she more than readily accepts.

Last edited by AtlanticX; Apr 3, 2015 at 4:42 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

AHAH! I love this forum so much!

Thank you for sharing your experiences OttoMH and madfish.

I totally understand it can be a bit futile to expect the other person to be completely on board. But I think your strategies of pointing out the advantages (while leaving obscure the crazy part of the process are really good advices.

I think he'll understand. I can't even say what I am attempting is a true TP run. I will just be flying LAX-MIA and back on a saturday to top off a year where I found myself traveling more than others. I was so happy with the idea of getting to silver for the first time in my life...then i started reading this forum...and it was all over
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Honey, you know my membership in the BA Frequent Flier program? I've looked into it, and it turns out that I'm really close to gain what they call Bronze/Silver/Gold Tier with our already planned travel.

I've done some reseach and if I take this trip to Miami and back, which is really cheap right now, I'll actually make that tier! This will mean that for all our travel next year we'll have priority check-in/lounge access/whatever-gold-gets.

I'll be flying the weekend of X. Do you want me to bring you back some alligator boots?
ahah this cracked me up.

I think he'll totally understand this time, especially because is such a short trip.
What is he gonna say though next year when I'll tell him I am taking a cheap positioning flight LAX-HNL to then travel HNL-DUB and back in three days????
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by hyperspace

Bizarrely, I got less stick for a HNL run than I did for a MXP run a few years ago. The MXP run in question cost me Ł69 (plus train to airport) and it got me a Lufthansa Senator card for two years!! 'You're mad!' 'What a waste of money!'

A subsequent 2 years as StarGold and a stack of bmi miles educated her on the benefits of mileage geekary which means that now Ł1096 on a HNL run is met with (sigh) 'ok, but you better take me to Australia for xmas'

How times change...
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I usually start the question with something like "I've been looking at the TP run thread and .... "
and I get no further! He just interrupts and says "Where are we going and when?" I do the investigating and he is more than keen to join in!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I am starting to feel that a question about TP running/miles earning should feature in online dating profiles as it is so important one finds a compatible seat-mate for the many hours of the flights taken together. :
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I am starting to feel that a question about TP running/miles earning should feature in online dating profiles as it is so important one finds a compatible seat-mate for the many hours of the flights taken together. :
ahahh exactly! I wish I knew! It's been a slow process to convince my husband of the many advantages of traveling from A to B not necessarily with the cheapest fare/airline. He has soften up, thanks to the many times we've connected domestically from LHR or within the USA...but he still sees as crazy some lengths we would go.

It's a long shot for me to truly convince him to join "the dark site" which is FT
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Well last year I sent my husband on a trip to Denver , Portland and San Fran to see family and his very dear friend in Sonoma.. Booked him A WT plus open jaw and upgraded it to club with Avios. So this year - I get to do the ex DUB HNL run to go for gold. Also have to sneak in a cheeky weakend in Malta in October. Hubby would like to go to HNL but certainly doesn't want to make a 10 segment round trip to go there so I get his blessing to go with a mate instead while he looks after the teen and dog! Everyone's a winner!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Varies
Reverse psychology.....

1) Mention that I've found this amazing way to a) spend a weekend in SFO (one of his favourite cities), b) get gold status and save some money when it comes to reserving seats on our 2-4-1 trip later this year, c) earn enough avios to be able to do another great 2-4-1 trip next year, d) help him spend Ł3k on his new BAPP to get 27k avios and e) ride the babybus back and forth (which we both enjoy) - but that of course it's totally stupid and I wouldn't dream of doing it.

2) Sit back and wait to be told it's not stupid.

3) Book the flights.

Actually, he does think I'm crazy, but he goes along with it Fingers crossed we don't get DVT's.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
What worked best for me with my husband was the following:

* Get him hooked on the lounge access we receive before flights
* Take him to Asia or Australia in business class for practically free
* Have him travel by himself with no status a couple of times a year

The first time I asked to do it, I was told I was nuts but "it's your money and time, do with it as you wish." Now, I usually take my solo runs at the same time he is planning to visit his family. What he still doesn't understand is my crazy routings. The last one was ORD-AUS-LHR-DUB-LHR-AUS-DFW-ORD. All over a three day weekend. He didn't understand why I just didn't do ORD-LHR-DUB :-)
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by hyperspace

I totally understand it can be a bit futile to expect the other person to be completely on board. But I think your strategies of pointing out the advantages (while leaving obscure the crazy part of the process are really good advices.

I think he'll understand. I can't even say what I am attempting is a true TP run. I will just be flying LAX-MIA and back on a saturday to top off a year where I found myself traveling more than others. I was so happy with the idea of getting to silver for the first time in my life...then i started reading this forum...and it was all over
Why don't you go for the weekend and take him along? It's a pity to travel somewhere and not actually see it.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Apr 3, 2015 at 6:49 pm Reason: Damn you, autocorrect.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.